The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #261
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Another dumb "can you use this" question, how about the Japanese media stuff?

Stuff like mutastones, Krys-mu (however you wanna spell her name), Dark Mu, Super Mutations / Turtle Saint, that kind of stuff?

I imagine Aska is in a particularly "fun" circle of rights hell too. I'm always curious if big company acquisitions even know about fringe stuff like this.
I'm not Bobby, but Dan Berger told me that Mirage didn't own any of the characters originating from the TMNT manga and anime.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #262
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrikey View Post
Funny thing there is that I believe it's been stated that the Gargoyles actually hate pizza. If that wasn't a thing that'd quickly have the Turtles and "the Trio" at each other's throats, I don't know what would!
Yeah.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #263
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Bobby, if you get time - What's your favorite Mirage studios story?

I'm personally a big fan of City at War and volume 2.
Volume 3 is definitely a highlight, but no specific story comes to mind.
The first 12 issues of Vol. 1 are hard to top for me, everything that is Turtles is in there. TMNT #2 is the first TMNT comic I ever read, so that holds a special place in my heart.

I dig The River a lot too.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #264
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I know literally almost nothing about the TMNT manga, so I defer to John here!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #265
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
Yeah! I love that short. It was originally published in TMNT & Other Strangeness. All the Turtles' costumes get ruined in the fight so they decide to just go to the party as themselves.

We can do a sappy mushy Valentine's issue featuring romantic pairings of Raph/Alopex, Koya/Bludgeon, Angel/April, and Sally/Lindsay. Or I'd introduce Mona Lisa and then everyone would hate me.

I wouldn't hate you! Actually, I've been wondering if she would ever show up in the series. I'd like to think she could join the Mutanimals. They are woefully short of female members. (And she could possibly be close to Mikey like Alopex is with Raph.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #266
Powder
So tired of this place

Here's a vote for hating Mona's inclusion.

But on that note, what makes you guys decide on which older characters are fit for revival?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 AM   #267
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I just assumed characters were added as their inclusion in the storyline became practical.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:02 AM   #268
Powder
So tired of this place

Obviously, but many of them are interchangeable. Like when it came down to forming a new Mutanimals team, for example, how would they settle on which new (old) characters to introduce? Mutagen Man could've been one of a hundred other mutants. Is it a matter of pleasing fans, or does the creative team want to make use of someone? This is the thought behind my question.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #269
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Obviously, but many of them are interchangeable. Like when it came down to forming a new Mutanimals team, for example, how would they settle on which new (old) characters to introduce? Mutagen Man could've been one of a hundred other mutants. Is it a matter of pleasing fans, or does the creative team want to make use of someone? This is the thought behind my question.
It's usually just a matter of who best fits the story. Mutagen Man for example, I believe could not have been another character-- his appearance is immediately horrific and an instant reminder of what can/has happened to mutants at the hands of humans (or, well, Null), which served a very specific purpose in the Mutanimals story. Sometimes, like Mondo, it's a general sense of who would be a good foil other characters like Hob and Slash. There's no real science behind it-- it's either a general "feel" thing or maybe someone is a character who is just the right fit for the story at the moment, which will be the case with Leatherhead I think.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #270
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, I guess he does fit a more specific role than any other would. But let's say you guys wanted to add an additional mutant somewhere in the story for one reason or another, not necessarily because of any specific attributes or requirements, just 'cause you need a mutant. How would you guys reach that decision, by discussing your favorites together at one of the meetings or something? Throw darts at an old Playmates toy package character chart?

Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #271
mrmaczaps
Banned

I have to say, if Mona is included...no. just please, no.

Unless she's alien and not mutant...

Aliens that look like earth turtles that walk upright like people is far superior an idea I think that another mutant turtle. More mutant turtles is like Superman having his cousin, and uncle and a whole bottle of Kandorian's around...

That's my two cents that no one asked for... lol
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #272
ChosenOne
Banned

Or, assuming the other two escaped Stockgen mutants are mutated alligator snapping turtles just like Slash, because scientific experiments tend to work with subjects from the same species, have them be Tokka and Mona Lisa. Bam! Done.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #273
Powder
So tired of this place

Mona Lisa's not a turtle. Venus, on the other hand... Anyway, this thread's for questions.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #274
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Yeah, I guess he does fit a more specific role than any other would. But let's say you guys wanted to add an additional mutant somewhere in the story for one reason or another, not necessarily because of any specific attributes or requirements, just 'cause you need a mutant. How would you guys reach that decision, by discussing your favorites together at one of the meetings or something? Throw darts at an old Playmates toy package character chart?
Yeah, probably discuss during a meeting, and see if a specific species of animal lends itself to a certain type of personality or skill set needed for a plot point.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #275
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Mona Lisa's not a turtle. Venus, on the other hand... Anyway, this thread's for questions.
Dang... Guess I've had that wrong for years, I thought they were both female turtles. I'm not exactly knowledgeable on all corners of the franchise. After Googling Mona Lisa, wouldn't she be too similar to Mondo Gecko anyway?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #276
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mona Lisa is a salamander. The Nick cartoon made her into a salamander alien race too, driving that point home even more.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #277
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I don't know where anyone gets that she was ever a salamander. She was green and non-amphibious. An anole or other iguanid, most likely. I'll grant a sea iguana maybe, but that's as far as I'd go toward an aquatic species. She did NOT have the slimy skin or flattened tail of salamanders or newts!

She never mentioned anything about using them in her experiments, either.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #278
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Everyone, go start a Mona Lisa thread and please, stop cluttering the "Ask the Editor" thread.

If we want Bobby to keep spending as much time answering our pedantic yet eager questions, we need to make it as easy as possible for him.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #279
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

How did the idea for Splinter assuming leadership of the Foot following his defeat of Saki come about?

Also, the end of #50 which shows Krang taking Hamato's family's DNA samples. I read that was only thought up when the ongoing was in the #30s'. Do you plan on following up on that eventually?
Old 01-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #280
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
How did the idea for Splinter assuming leadership of the Foot following his defeat of Saki come about?

Also, the end of #50 which shows Krang taking Hamato's family's DNA samples. I read that was only thought up when the ongoing was in the #30s'. Do you plan on following up on that eventually?
I wish I had a more exciting answer, but I think it was just something that popped in my head a few years back, when thinking about what might become of the Foot Clan post-Shredder.

I think eventually, but there's not set time or place for it at this juncture.

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz