The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 02:17 AM   #21
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Pizza, sandwiches, Chinese Food (although they weren't opened till recently, I'm glad all the Chinese places aren't closed down anymore), sometimes KFC or chicken, bagels, hot dogs, etc.
Eating junk food and closing yourself in a building is not the right way to deal with this situation. You need to breath some fresh air, eat healthier food and take some walk. The way you're doing it can lower your defences, you're not helping your immune system. You need to respect your health more, my friend.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wouldn't say that's all junk food, it's normal American diets.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #23
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
It's still Junk food whether it's classed as a 'normal American diet' or not
Old 06-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Criticizing people for what they eat, especially in a crisis during late-stage capitalism, isn't very constructive.

A lot of us were suffering all over the world, even before Covid-19, and now that it's here, the best thing to do is to support each other and communicate positive things and send good vibes to each other.

Please be nice!
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Well I did try to make an American pizza variant, the Chicago style, and another American dish called a Frito Pie...

I wouldn't want to throw all of American cusine under the bus here, as I do enjoy Texas Chili and a few other dishes that aren't straight up unhealthy but... Yeah, American food is mostly sugary, salty and greasy junk.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #26
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
Criticizing people for what they eat, especially in a crisis during late-stage capitalism, isn't very constructive.

A lot of us were suffering all over the world, even before Covid-19, and now that it's here, the best thing to do is to support each other and communicate positive things and send good vibes to each other.

Please be nice!
People here can never pass up a chance to feel better than CyberCubed, even when he's just asking a question.

I'm with him, I haven't left my home unless I absolutely needed to. I'm introverted so I can keep myself entertained really easily with just video games and movies. I'm more likely to go crazy outside than in my own home.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #27
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Before Covid-19, I was basically a homebody. Not much has changed since the pandemic.

Store runs and job interviews are the only things worth leaving the house for. Being short on $$$ doesn't really provide many opportunities to party hard.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #28
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
People here can never pass up a chance to feel better than CyberCubed, even when he's just asking a question.

I'm with him, I haven't left my home unless I absolutely needed to. I'm introverted so I can keep myself entertained really easily with just video games and movies. I'm more likely to go crazy outside than in my own home.
You sound like me... It doesnt take a lot for me to be content, as long as I'm home and being entertained as well.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #29
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I live in a park and sleep on the benches or play equipment, so this really hasn't done much for me.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:49 AM   #30
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Please be nice!
Agreed. I know people I went to school with that were put off cooking because the Home Economics teacher we had had a tendency to get angry a lot over the most petty things, though she didn?t have that effect on me thankfully.

I?m more of an extrovert, but not much has changed with me regarding leaving the house.
Wesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:52 AM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

In all truth... when I interact with people on the street... I suddenly feel myself feeling guilty. Like a guy or girl will wave at me, or weave 6 feet this much away from me... it puts me in an awkward place. I wave, but I feel super awkward. Like, I'm not sure what to do. Every time.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #32
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

It's getting to the point where a lot of people online are saying the economy is opening back up here in the U.S. and how the lockdown is over butI think those articles and that mindset is premature. I live in small town (rural) NC and our governor seems to want to spite Trump because he is very hesitant (with good reason) to reopen. I think a lot of us need more stimulus (I know I do) and I don't think when the economy completely reopens that it's going to be a pretty picture. We're probably going to be suffering as a nation (and by extension globally) for quite a while.

I'm about to go to the grocery store and I'm not even sure if I should wear a mask. Traffic has increased near my home and gas prices locally are rising again... but what does it all mean?

It just feels like nobody really knows where we stand. Are we opening? Are we not opening? Are we getting more stimulus $$$? Will this lead to a depression?
Old 06-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #33
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

^ I would wear a mask just to play it safe - we're not out of the Covid woods just yet.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

I go to the grocery store once every two weeks or so, more or less when we start running low on Chicken.

My wife and I still wear masks - well, bandannas fashioned into masks Old Timey Stagecoach Robber-style - and it's inconvenient, but also awesome in one respect. I'm constantly doing the "Cat Bath"/"Lalalalalalala!" thing with my tongue at all the hot girls who pass by, and they have NO f*cking idea at all! It's awesome!

Hot Girl: "Are you on line?"
Me: ((Nods, while looking her dead in the eye and silently going "Lalalalalala!" at her like a total scumbag, while my wife cracks up because she knows what kind of idiot she fell for and thinks I'm hilarious))

It's awesome. All my life, I've felt a compulsive urge to signal at every passing honey in too-short booty shorts or super-tight yoga pants that I'm just dying to nibble on their "peach", and at least for now, I can do so unrelentingly and without shame or fear of repercussion. That's what I'm gonna remember most fondly about this ordeal.

Watch me f*cking forget and do it without the mask after this whole sh*t's over with. That is pretty much guaranteed to happen, I already know it. Hopefully whoever I do it to has a sense of humor. And a leaky vag.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #35
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Next time I'm off shopping I'll probably end up dressing similarly to this

Old 06-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #36
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I went to the store on Monday, maskless, and met a dude named Caleb wearing a Spider-man mask. This is significant because I live in a small town full of ultra conservative, super religious Trump lovers... We struck up a conversation that went like this....

Me: "Hey, you into superheroes?"

Caleb: "Gee, I'm wearing a Spidey mask. What do you think?"

Me: Laughs nervously.

Caleb: "Why ain't ya' wearing a mask?"

Me: "Too lazy, but I'm careful. I respect the social distancing thing. Hey, you like comics?"

Caleb: "Yeah. I've got a huge Marvel and DC collection at home. Yeah, I'm hardore into it dude. Been collecting for nearly twenty years. My favorites are the indie books because the stories are more serious. What do you read?"

Me: "Batman, Superman, Daredevil, Spidey, pulp heroes, a little of everything... but lately I'm really into the TMNT. Been following the current comics and..."

Caleb: "TMNT? You mean like the ninja turtles? Oh, isn't that stuff like for little kids? No, I was never into that stuff. Those cartoons are made for kids, man. I read comics for more mature stuff."

Me: "Wow, dude. You're into comics and you don't know about Mirage, Eastman and Laird or IDW?"

Caleb: "What? IDW's doing a turtle book? Who's Eastman and Laird?"

Me: "I literally can't believe you just asked that. Well, take care, man. Go online and research Mirage Studios. I have to go."

"Caleb: "Good to meet you."

Me: Walks away as fast as I can.

At the end of the day, finding a fellow comics fan in my town is quite a feat. The fact that he didn't know of Mirage or TMNT history and yet professed to be "hardcore into comics" and "indie" was a big turn off. We could have exchanged #'s and compared notes but that was just a turnoff. And now I feel like a d*ck.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
Next time I'm off shopping I'll probably end up dressing similarly to this

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...77,268_AL_.jpg
Is it weird that I assumed you already did?

"Assumed", "hoped"... whatever.

Quote:

At the end of the day, finding a fellow comics fan in my town is quite a feat. The fact that he didn't know of Mirage or TMNT history and yet professed to be "hardcore into comics" and "indie" was a big turn off. We could have exchanged #'s and compared notes but that was just a turnoff. And now I feel like a d*ck.
Eh, maybe you were a little, but it's understandable.

It's not entirely different from when I run into people who profess to be "huge Superman fans", but have only ever seen the Reeve films, the only comic they've read was "All-Star Superman", and they constantly mix up the names of George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, and they hated "Man of Steel".

Except for the part where I strangle them with garrote wire and stash them in my crawlspace. That part is pretty different. But the rest of it, yeah, like, totally exactly the same thing, man.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #38
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Is it weird that I assumed you already did?

"Assumed", "hoped"... whatever.

Eh, maybe you were a little, but it's understandable.

It's not entirely different from when I run into people who profess to be "huge Superman fans", but have only ever seen the Reeve films, the only comic they've read was "All-Star Superman", and they constantly mix up the names of George Reeves and Christopher Reeve, and they hated "Man of Steel".

Except for the part where I strangle them with garrote wire and stash them in my crawlspace. That part is pretty different. But the rest of it, yeah, like, totally exactly the same thing, man.
It's just frustrating. I mean now, in hindsight, I should've been like totally trying to educate him on TMNT and trying to connect and make a new friend... but instead... I don't know if it's ego or whatever, but like if someone's been into this particular hobby for that long and professes to be "hardcore" how do you not at least know Eastman and Laird. It's one thing to say you're into superheroes and you've never heard of Robert Crumb or Harvey Kurtzman... It's entirely different to say "I'm a comics veteran and TMNT is just a cartoon." Like, c'mon. People who are "hardcore" into comics strips know about Will Eisner and Shultz and whatnot, but if you say you're a Marvel fan and draw a blank at Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby there's something wrong. Eastman and Laird ARE LEGENDS in the field. They shouldn't need an introduction.

The fan in me really hates meeting (as you say) "Superman fans" or "Batman fans" or whatever and just having them be totally clueless. I would never claim that it's some kind of contest and nobody has a right to deny someone else's fandom but saying your a "fan" of something should mean you are at least peripherally aware of culturally significant stuff. I hope I don't sound like an elitist jerk. I'm really, at least I try to be, a nice person.

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 06-17-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

I do agree to a point. But frankly I have very little patience for such people, either.

I'm very hesitant to label myself a "fan" of certain things I like for that very reason. I don't feel like I've earned it. I enjoy a lot of Star Trek that I've seen, for example, but that's very, very little compared to most people who'd say they were "fans" of it. I get so annoyed by those kinds of "fans" - "I'm a fan, but I only like/know about One Thing, and I'm not twelve years old I'm just clueless as a general rule about this thing I swear I love so much" - that I don't say "I'm a fan" out of respect for those who I could see taking issue on it.

I know that technically, if you like something you're a "fan" but I also don't think it should be quite that easy. I like two or three Limp Bizkit songs - because they've made exactly two or three good songs - but I'd never say I was a "fan" based on that alone. I will straight-up start slitting throats if anyone disses "Break Stuff" or "N2Gether Now", though. But not because I'm a fan of the band, but because if those specific songs don't get you Right Here then your balls are probably in a jar somewhere. Has nothing to do with the band itself, which I generally don't care for even a little. But "The Sun even shines on a dog's ass sometimes", so sayeth Sir Wesley of Snipes. He's a prophet, so... y'know.

Anyways, what the f*ck was I... OH, right, right, the "fan" thing. Yeah, it's taxing, sometimes. I'm rather elitist on a good day and most times other comic book fans don't catch me on a "good day". I don't think it should be a contest, but as you've said, to be a "fan" I think one should be a little bit aware of more than just one or two things.

Sometimes I try to politely educate, but it depends on the situation. I really don't mind conversation but if someone makes it clear that they don't actually give a sh*t then I'm taking my insight elsewhere. Like if a person really isn't interested in hearing about how "Batman Returns" has as much to do with Batman as my ass does, it's not gonna be a good conversation and I'll excuse myself from it. But if they really don't know, and are genuinely interested, I don't mind a chat. But if a person hangs their entire Fan Hat on one movie they watched 30 years ago and literally nothing else, then I'm sorry, you're not a "fan", you just happened to like a movie. Which is also fine, but don't put on a front, is all.

It's like hot chicks who wear T-shirts of awesome bands they never even listened to. "DUDE, awesome, you like the Misfits? Glenn or Graves? Best album, 'Earth A.D.' or 'American Psycho'?" "Ummm... I just like shirts with skulls on them." DON'T DO THAT SH*T! LIKE EVER! Right in the goddamn crawlspace. It's a good thing I live in a farmhouse, which also has a barn. Although I probably should have kept some of this to myself, I now realize. Ah well.

But yeah. It's a trial, sometimes. I try to handle it on a case-by-case basis. But people make it hard sometimes.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #40
AquaParade
Banned

I still leave, but not for social gatherings. Lot's of courtyard hangouts with my apartment complex neighbors though which has been fun.

As for lifestyle shifts, I've returned to reading at least a couple hours a day, which has been nice. Calming.

But my diet has gone down the shitter. I don't cook a ton at home and a lot of my healthy eating habits relied on things I would get at my local coffee shop or Whole Foods. While it could be an opportunity for me to learn some new healthy recipes, I've instead resorted to quick, cheap, and accessible meals. Back to drinking again as well.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote