The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #2481
funatic
Mad Scientist

speaking of the training manuals...

I just got this weird misprint of 'Rafael' off ebay where around half the pages are fused in the upper right corner, and the whole printer setting is a bit askew... Before I ask for my money back or take some scissors to the corner, does anyone know if this is worth anything extra for the printing error, or does that only apply to things like cover errors and the like?

funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #2482
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

What's up dudes? Recently got back into comics in general and now I officially want to get caught up on TMNT.

I'm ashamed to say that I never really had the time, money or patience to officially check out TMNT comics. I read a bunch as a kid and such, but I can't remember which ones so I figured why not start over.

I've looked into the current IDW ones, and they look great of course. I'm just not sure exactly where to start!

So, what is your recommendation for starting both a current running series AND starting to ease my way into the oldest series? I actually want to read everything eventually from Eastman and Laird, to Archie, everything.

Thanks bros!
Mr. Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #2483
dawwe
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange View Post
What's up dudes? Recently got back into comics in general and now I officially want to get caught up on TMNT.

I'm ashamed to say that I never really had the time, money or patience to officially check out TMNT comics. I read a bunch as a kid and such, but I can't remember which ones so I figured why not start over.

I've looked into the current IDW ones, and they look great of course. I'm just not sure exactly where to start!

So, what is your recommendation for starting both a current running series AND starting to ease my way into the oldest series? I actually want to read everything eventually from Eastman and Laird, to Archie, everything.

Thanks bros!
Glad you want to get back in to this stuff. I would recommend you pick up the collected versions by IDW.

For Mirage I would recommend: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Ultimate B&W Collection
And for IDW: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The IDW Collection
They also have a Archie one but it seems to skip a few issues: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #2484
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Great, thanks! I tend to get confused very easily when it comes to comics and I’m sort of a completionist so if I get everything in one fell swoop, it would be amazing. I got super frustrated just trying to collect TMNT on DVD so I’m trying to avoid that here.

Is the Usagi Yojimbo stuff worth checking out, and does he crossover with TMNT more than a few times?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:49 AM   #2485
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Is the Usagi Yojimbo stuff worth checking out, and does he crossover with TMNT more than a few times?
That's like asking is the Pope Catholic to me

It was the first time he'd crossed over with the IDW versions, but his previous meetings were sub-referenced (as it was still the same Usagi). There are some one-off short stories, and a three parter story from the Mirage publishing era (the only time Usagi was regularly printed in colour).

Outside of that anyhow, it's well worth reading Usagi, something has kept me hooked for over 20 years heh...
Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #2486
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

Long time no post! *looks for last post*...Really, really long time no post. Sheesh. I've continued to lurk off and on for a long while now, but haven't really had much to post about for a long time, but hopefully that'll change soon enough.

At any rate, I did have a quick question and this seemed like the best place to ask it. I've slowly started to pick up more of the comics again, and finally ordered the fifth volume in the hardcover 'Ultimate Edition' series, which completes my collection of that particular line, readying me to start picking up the paperback 'Classics' releases for other Mirage tales! ...Or so I thought, until I randomly found Volume 6 on Amazon as well.

Looking at the top review here, it looks like this volume is a collection of various short stories that were put out by Mirage over the years. From what I understood, that was some of what the paperback 'Classics' line of releases were collecting (as well as other Mirage issues not drawn by Eastman and Laird). So my question(s) is/are thus - are there any short stories that have only been re-released in this hardcover collection, as in they aren't in the paperback Classics line? And if so, are there any of the paperback Classics line that I would no longer need to pick up due to purchasing this hardcover instead? Basically I'm trying to be as thrifty as possible and not double-purchase any content if it can be avoided. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #2487
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyt Kaliba View Post
Long time no post! *looks for last post*...Really, really long time no post. Sheesh. I've continued to lurk off and on for a long while now, but haven't really had much to post about for a long time, but hopefully that'll change soon enough.

At any rate, I did have a quick question and this seemed like the best place to ask it. I've slowly started to pick up more of the comics again, and finally ordered the fifth volume in the hardcover 'Ultimate Edition' series, which completes my collection of that particular line, readying me to start picking up the paperback 'Classics' releases for other Mirage tales! ...Or so I thought, until I randomly found Volume 6 on Amazon as well.

Looking at the top review here, it looks like this volume is a collection of various short stories that were put out by Mirage over the years. From what I understood, that was some of what the paperback 'Classics' line of releases were collecting (as well as other Mirage issues not drawn by Eastman and Laird). So my question(s) is/are thus - are there any short stories that have only been re-released in this hardcover collection, as in they aren't in the paperback Classics line? And if so, are there any of the paperback Classics line that I would no longer need to pick up due to purchasing this hardcover instead? Basically I'm trying to be as thrifty as possible and not double-purchase any content if it can be avoided. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of the stories in Ultimate Collection Vol 6 are also in Classics Vol 1. But Classics has issue 13 and UC doesn’t.

UC vol 6 has the following and classics vol 1 doesn’t
You Had To Be There
D’Ants Fever
New Comic Day
TechnoFear
Crazy Man
Terror By Transmat!
The Survival Game
The Lesson
Ghoul’s Night Out
Fun With Guns
The Howl
It’s A Gas
Choices
Complete Carnage an’ Radical
Not One Word
Casey Jones, Private Eye
Turtle Dreams
Untitled Nobody Story

UC vol 6 and classics vol 1 share the following
Don’t Judge A Book
New York Ninja
Night Life
Word Warriors
The Road Trip
49th Street Stompers
A Splinter In The Eye Of God?
O-Deed
Junkman
Meanwhile… 1,000,000 B.C.
Bottoming Out

I hope this helps some. I’m still figuring out these reprints myself.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59717

Last edited by TurtleWA; 03-15-2018 at 09:31 PM.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #2488
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Aww man, why do the volumes have missing stories? This feels like the DVDs all over again.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #2489
CyberCubed
Overlord

What do you mean? The only missing Vol. 1 stories are Rich Veitch's 4 issues which IDW is not legally allowed to print without his permission or paying him royalties. They didn't skip them purposely.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #2490
Casey
Stone Warrior

How do I make sure the binding isn’t going to be an issue with the IDW collected edition for the “new” comic? I’ve read some reviews and am wondering if they fixed it with another printing or something.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #2491
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
How do I make sure the binding isn’t going to be an issue with the IDW collected edition for the “new” comic? I’ve read some reviews and am wondering if they fixed it with another printing or something.
I think it has had multiple printings. Instocktrades.com has a return/exchange policy if the product is damaged. I think you just have to email within 48 hours. Handle the book with care and you should be fine. Also, YouTube has videos on how to ‘break in’ new books. I read the same reviews back when I was looking to get this and had similar concerns. But I haven’t had any problems with my copy. It’s great.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #2492
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I think it has had multiple printings. Instocktrades.com has a return/exchange policy if the product is damaged. I think you just have to email within 48 hours. Handle the book with care and you should be fine. Also, YouTube has videos on how to ‘break in’ new books. I read the same reviews back when I was looking to get this and had similar concerns. But I haven’t had any problems with my copy. It’s great.
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #2493
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What do you mean? The only missing Vol. 1 stories are Rich Veitch's 4 issues which IDW is not legally allowed to print without his permission or paying him royalties. They didn't skip them purposely.
Sorry, I’m just newer to collecting these and for some reason it’s really confusing me. Just want to do the most research before I buy something.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #2494
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sorry, I’m just newer to collecting these and for some reason it’s really confusing me. Just want to do the most research before I buy something.
I think you get IDW TMNT Ultimate Collection 1-5 and IDW TMNT Classics TPB 1-7 you will have all of Mirage Volume One. Minus the Veitch issues Cubed mentioned.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #2495
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Quote:
I think you get IDW TMNT Ultimate Collection 1-5 and IDW TMNT Classics TPB 1-7 you will have all of Mirage Volume One. Minus the Veitch issues Cubed mentioned.
Thank you. I’m really terribly sorry at my ignorance of understanding. Is there a definite breakdown somewhere of what issues I need to buy to get the most complete collection of issues? Tried searching this site and elsewhere and I guess I’m not finding exactly what I need. Seems there’s too many reprints and editions and nothing seems absolutely definitive. I’d like just like “this book contains issues 1–x of the original Mirage” the rest are collected in these, then “this book contains the Tales of TMNT, Archie, IDW, etc.”
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #2496
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Thank you. I’m really terribly sorry at my ignorance of understanding. Is there a definite breakdown somewhere of what issues I need to buy to get the most complete collection of issues? Tried searching this site and elsewhere and I guess I’m not finding exactly what I need. Seems there’s too many reprints and editions and nothing seems absolutely definitive. I’d like just like “this book contains issues 1–x of the original Mirage” the rest are collected in these, then “this book contains the Tales of TMNT, Archie, IDW, etc.”
I’d look at this

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=32248

And also this

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59717

And Youtube book reviews

For Archie get all of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16137...dBL&ref=plSrch

IDW get all these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16314...BpL&ref=plSrch

Last edited by TurtleWA; 03-21-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #2497
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Thanks on the Archie and IDW. I guess Mirage is the most confusing to me for some reason.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #2498
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Thanks on the Archie and IDW. I guess Mirage is the most confusing to me for some reason.
Yep no problem. As far as Mirage goes I’m not sure I can be any further help. Just start buying and reading. Or checking out from library and reading. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #2499
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Took your advice and watched a few YouTube videos. It cleared up some stuff for me, but I got confused when issues were included in both the Mirage Ultimate Collections and the TPB of the TMNT adventures??

I dunno, since I'm more of a visual person I'm going to have to make my own custom chart or something because it shouldn't be this confusing for me.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #2500
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Remember Archie isn't complete due to it's controversial content. Can't remember how many issues haven't been collected yet where that is a problem.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask a question, ban etsyturtle2, comic discussion, questions