The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
hankthetank
Random Punk

Is the show worth watching

I believe i saw the first 2 or 3 episodes and wasn't impressed I loved the vast majority of the other 3 main series and the first 2 Live Action movies. My question is has the show gotten better since the first few episodes or is it pretty much the same?
hankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Xav
Foot Elite

It's pretty much the same.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, with the exception of last weekend's arc-related "Bug Busters" (that comparably is one of the rare gems within this series so far), the majority of the episodes are about the same as those you've seen.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Yes! Very worth it!
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Personally, I watched the entirety of three epsiodes: "Mystic Mayhem", "Down With The Sickness", and "Repo Mantis". Having seen all of them, while I can tolerate Repo in moderation, overall, I'd have to agree with the majority here that it's just more of the same. The only possible exception springing to mind being the Bug Busters episode (which I haven't bothered watching all of) for its cameos of older characters, implying they will appear later, though even then, I'm not holding my breath that it will be good.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
Personally, I watched the entirety of three epsiodes: "Mystic Mayhem", "Down With The Sickness", and "Repo Mantis". Having seen all of them, while I can tolerate Repo in moderation, overall, I'd have to agree with the majority here that it's just more of the same. The only possible exception springing to mind being the Bug Busters episode (which I haven't bothered watching all of) for its cameos of older characters, implying they will appear later, though even then, I'm not holding my breath that it will be good.
What older characters made cameos?
Old 11-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
What older characters made cameos?
Bebop, Rocksteady, Halfcourt, Leatherhead.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

If you ever wanted to see Next Mutation as an animated series this is the show for you 🤮
Old 11-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

What Ken said, and given the context all of them appeared in, combined with the commentary by a Tumblr user who claims to have an inside connection, I’m expecting a portrayal that’s not faithful at all to past eras (in most cases, anyway) of the two allies that are Leatherhead and Halfcourt.
80gmrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
If you ever wanted to see Next Mutation as an animated series this is the show for you 🤮
"Rise" would need a stepladder to reach the heights of Next Mutation.

Both junk, but TNM at least pretends to respect its source material. You could plug any "wacky/goofy" characters into "Rise" and it would be the exact same show. TMNT in name only.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone View Post
Bebop, Rocksteady, Halfcourt, Leatherhead.
So we got a cameo for a mutant who only appeared as an action figure from the original series line. That's pretty cool. Hopefully that means the other mutants from the toys will also show up. Given this new shows emphasis on mutants.
https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Halfcourt

It won't be long until this guy shows up. King Lionheart
https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/...action_figure)

This character would be a perfect fit for Rise. a Shakespearean actor turned Mutant Lion.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
So we got a cameo for a mutant who only appeared as an action figure from the original series line. That's pretty cool. Hopefully that means the other mutants from the toys will also show up. Given this new shows emphasis on mutants.
https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Halfcourt

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/...action_figure)

This character would be a perfect fit for Rise. a Shakespearean actor turned Mutant Lion.
Yeah but these characters will likely stay as cameos so try not to request for full appearances.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with everyone else here. Very few interesting episodes and not a lot to keep me fully invested. Has few decent ideas but not holding my breath for any of them to be fully realized.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #13
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Yeah but these characters will likely stay as cameos so try not to request for full appearances.
Part of me hopes you’re right: if the 80s-cartoon attire my favorite character is wearing is any indication of his role should he have an actual appearance, I’ll officially give up my hopes for his future in the franchise as a whole.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
It would be that series' answer to Old Hob and Tigerclaw.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #15
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I think Leo656 is blowing it a bit out of proportion by calling this TMNT in name only, but it could certainly try a bit harder to be faithful to the source material, and there are a few places in which it actually seems to be trying not to be faithful. Most notably with Splinter; if you thought his behavior was occasionally questionable in last series, prepare to hate this new version of him with a passion. Every time Splinter has appeared in this series, he's been played for laughs; less out of wit and more because he's weird and maybe senile. The only thing keeping it from being worse is he doesn't appear too often.

The rest of the characters are tolerable but shallow. All of the turtles seem to have a similar personality now, although for once in bad TMNT characterization history, that similar personality isn't just Fred Wolf Michelangelo. Sometimes April has a different sort of personality to work as a foil, but other times she has the same personality as the turtles.

All of the villains are original to this series so far, and while they can be fun, they're almost all small-timers, so it feels like nothing big is ever really at stake. As of Bug Busters, we've finally gotten a sign that something deeper is going on; for example, we get an explanation for mutagen existing. But next episode it's back to being episodic.

TMNT has been episodic many times before without issue. Even the Mirage series had one-off stories. But the difference is that before, the series had a stronger identity to latch onto and stick with, and that's missing here, for the reasons noted above. There are heroes (or at least anti-heroes) fighting villains, and while some great action and even great jokes happen in the process, how little the show makes you care about the heroes and villains in question leaves it underwhelming. The show is certainly watchable, but there isn't a big reason to watch it over other action-comedy shows.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #16
BYWInsaniac
Thug

Re:

Rise hasn't changed what kind of show it's trying to be, so if you generally weren't feeling that direction then it's unlikely that any of the new episodes will change your mind.

But I think the recent episodes are much stronger than the earlier ones, so if you're open and interested in checking out some newer episodes I think "The Gumbus," "Bug Busters (pt 1&2)," and "Purple Jacket" are solid choices.

-JJ
BYWInsaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #17
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Very bad. It is only some stupid mutants mostly and this Stockman and Purple dragons are not threat since they are just kids and so i cant use them to work for me!
Old 12-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

April is a kid (again), Baxter is a kid, the Purple Dragons are kids... I almost wish and would laugh pretty good if Shredder is a kid. Bahahaha.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

I absolutely love it but I'm not going to drive myself mad trying to convince anyone biased against it that it's worth their time.

Take it as it's own thing, a comedy driven, parody-lite, balls to the walls re-imagining trying to subvert your expectations, and you might like it. Go into it angry that it isn't doing X, Y, or Z, and you'll hate it, I guess.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

The main thing that Rise has going against itself is that it replaces a version of the TMNT which was well thought out and brought together the best parts of previous versions.

- The Utrom council and Bishop from the 2003 series
- Alopex from the IDW series
- The Triceratons and Fugitoid from the Mirage series. (To be honest, I wasn't quite sure if I was going to dig those "lost in space" episodes but they turned out to be awesome.)
- The Punk frogs
- Making references to the movies in episodes like "Requiem"
- Referencing the "Me, myself and I" Mirage special which sees the introduction of Casey Jones

And took a fresh look at well established characters and made them different
- April is a teenager
- Casey Jones is a teenager and different from other incarnations, Casey and April do not become a couple.
- Master Splinter isn't a small stature seventies-something Yoda-kind of character but a 6 feet tall, very fit guy in his forties.
- The series was one continuous story, you can't watch episodes without them giving big spoilers to what happened before.
- Each turtle has a very distinct look. That was by far the best thing they did to the Turtles themselves and the idea that they all look different is also used in the Rise series.

So having to make a follow up to a show which went the distance as far as it did, would be like being on the Bill with a band like Queen, no way to follow it. So they didn't, they went at it with another POV.

But it IS telling that they've changed Michelangelo the least, no need to improve on perfection.

When watching Rise, I'm still waiting to hear him go "Booyakasha!"