The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

American tourist killed by endangered Indian tribe

"US tourist killed by endangered Indian tribe after travelling to ‘preach Christianity’
A TOURIST from the US has been killed with arrows by an endangered tribe the moment he set foot on their forbidden island in the Indian Ocean."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...Nicobar-police

It's like we're back to the age of discovery and the colonial period. Missionaries getting killed by natives? Damn.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The guy should've taken the hint. And not everyone wants to be (or should be) a damn Christian.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The guy should've taken the hint. And not everyone wants to be (or should be) a damn Christian.
Maybe he believed in the "good savage" myth.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Winner of the Darwin Award...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

For lack of a better word, The North Sentinalise are real life Savages.

Best not to approach them unless wearing military grade armour from head to toe and carrying a gun.

edit: Read about the murder victim and he seemed like a really nice and genuine guy. Condolences to his family and utter shame that the Indian Government will note even attempt to bring his killers to justice or even extract his remains to recieve a proper burial.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 11-21-2018 at 11:31 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

There are some tribes still living in the wilds like we're 1000+ years in the past. It's hard to believe in today's day and age you can see tribes in either Africa or parts of the world that feel like they haven't changed a day since the year 1200 or something.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I would ask if this guy was foolish in deciding to go there, but really... if you're going to make that kind of trip, surely you've researched a bit, right?? Enough to know that it might be a really bad idea to go traipsing in there and try to have contact with the remaining tribes that have little contact with outsiders? (And what they do is often a threat, such as logging. At least in regard to those of South America.) Or maybe he believed a deity would see it through and give him the power to go on this "mission."

Don't screw with those people... The outside world already encroaches enough on them and sounds like they don't mess around when it comes to defending their territory, people, and way of life.

And can you blame them? Look at the rhetoric that has been spewed about that "caravan" and how they're supposedly all bad people out to get us, and that is the reaction of many modern age Americans. As if we were only a small group with our survival at stake. So it's not hard to imagine how people in a small, largely uncontacted tribe may take an outsider showing up. They've got more reason than we do to assume an enemy.

His being there is also a risk to them in terms of the old reasons of diseases as well.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

This sent me down a rabbit hole this morning. Indigenous tribes are fascinating. Can’t be long before people start flying drones around there. Id hate to support that but I admit I’m extremely curious.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
This sent me down a rabbit hole this morning. Indigenous tribes are fascinating. Can’t be long before people start flying drones around there. Id hate to support that but I admit I’m extremely curious.
Me too, I looked them up due to this article. It's fascinating to think there really are isolate islands out there with tribes who have never had any contact with the outside world and kill anyone who approached their island.

Reminds me of the 2005 King Kong movie with all the natives in their isolated island, it's hard to believe tribes like still exist in real life. Also given how small these islands are it's hard to believe there's enough food source there for them to live isolated. Most of it is likely fishing.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Usually when we hear about such tribes we don't hear of them attacking outsiders, but more like outsiders destroying their local forest(like the Amazon) or something like that.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Reminds me of the Tribal Curse story from an episode of the tv series Beyond Belief.

Indigenous tribes aren’t news to me, though, as tv documentaries have been made about them for years.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Reminds me of the Tribal Curse story from an episode of the tv series Beyond Belief.

Indigenous tribes aren’t news to me, though, as tv documentaries have been made about them for years.
Will be hard to make a documentary about this one, it seems.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If anyone with Netflix is interested, there's an interesting documentary pertaining to tribes in the Amazon. Had come across it and watched it some weeks ago.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80123799

Quote:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5494870/

Anthropologists encounter several groups of "Uncontacted" people in the jungles of South America, in a preserved region on the edges of Brazil and Peru. Patiently communicating as best they can, with the help of translators who speak a dialect not too different, they learn about these people's experiences with rubber barons and invasion years before. They begin to help them integrate into modern living. Written by danieltaller
Old 11-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I guess they'll just shoot arrows at the drones lmao
Old 11-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

The ones isolated by an island in the middle of the ocean are more interesting because they're really separated from society, unlike the ones in brazil/peru/africa, etc.

It's crazy to think of a whole secluded island of people with no contact with the outside world, and these people still live like humans did 1000 years ago in little tea huts with spears and tribal outfits. It's like something out of a movie.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The ones isolated by an island in the middle of the ocean are more interesting because they're really separated from society, unlike the ones in brazil/peru/africa, etc.

It's crazy to think of a whole secluded island of people with no contact with the outside world, and these people still live like humans did 1000 years ago in little tea huts with spears and tribal outfits. It's like something out of a movie.
Spoiler:
Old 11-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #17
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I would ask if this guy was foolish in deciding to go there, but really... if you're going to make that kind of trip, surely you've researched a bit, right?? Enough to know that it might be a really bad idea to go traipsing in there and try to have contact with the remaining tribes that have little contact with outsiders? (And what they do is often a threat, such as logging. At least in regard to those of South America.) Or maybe he believed a deity would see it through and give him the power to go on this "mission."

Don't screw with those people... The outside world already encroaches enough on them and sounds like they don't mess around when it comes to defending their territory, people, and way of life.

And can you blame them? Look at the rhetoric that has been spewed about that "caravan" and how they're supposedly all bad people out to get us, and that is the reaction of many modern age Americans. As if we were only a small group with our survival at stake. So it's not hard to imagine how people in a small, largely uncontacted tribe may take an outsider showing up. They've got more reason than we do to assume an enemy.

His being there is also a risk to them in terms of the old reasons of diseases as well.
Wow heartless......
and were are you getting your news about the caravan ?? Bc literally no has said this or ur listening to crazy people which would not shock me knowing there InfoWars is still around

I do agree that he should have left the tribe alone, but I still feel bad that he lost his life even if it was due to ignorance or foolishness.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
sdp
-

Sentinel Island? Jeeze, what an pompous jerk, his act not only got him killed but it might kill half the tribe if they caught a "harmless" disease from him they have no immune system for.

edit:https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/11/21...dia-1.14305264

He wasn't even a real missionary, that was mostly his cover, he was more of an adventurer. Can't say I feel bad for him.

Last edited by sdp; 11-21-2018 at 08:41 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
and were are you getting your news about the caravan ??
Erm, words directly from the Instigator in Chief's own mouth. (Pre-midterms of course since suddenly it seems it doesn't matter much now.)

Heartless, not really. No more than shrugging it off after hearing someone was foolish enough to try to get too close to a dangerous wild animal. Sad event, but their foolishness is their choice and they paid a high price for it.

Not to compare that tribe to wild animals, but... Well, they're us from another time. Though the behavior of the rest of humanity still shows we haven't shaken it off 100% either.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-22-2018 at 10:59 AM.