The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #41
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
I honestly debate with myself whether or not the Infestation issues should actually canon to the series.
It's never referenced, not even when Donatello lists the different events that have gone on in the series, and I personally think, almost being devoured by an Occult God would be a really big deal. And I doubt it ever will be referenced again.
Plus, the story line just reads much more smoothly without those two issues between issues 6 and 7... =/
The way I read Donnie's line of "3 out of 4 of the battles we've fought had nothing to do with anything supernatural", is that he's just further refuting Leo by not even counting his story about the Foot Clan. So the 1 supernatural battle out of the 4 total would be their throwdown with Shub-Niggurath

And the few days that make up the Infestation story line were Old Hob's training with controlling the Mouser's and trying to locate the lair.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #42
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I'm debating where to put the Fugitoid issue...

It's mostly a flashback issue, and when it catches up to "present day" it seems to run into the whole Shadows of the Past arc, but the plot points from it won't really pick up until #17. Any thoughts?
I wasn't sure, either.

At the IDW Forums, Curnow's only statement about placement is that it sets up #17.

So for the time being, in the Turtle Tips section of my review at TMNT Entity, I stuck it between #16 and #17.

It may get shuffled once those issues come out and we see how the narrative flows, but that's just where I'm stashing it for now.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #43
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
The way I read Donnie's line of "3 out of 4 of the battles we've fought had nothing to do with anything supernatural", is that he's just further refuting Leo by not even counting his story about the Foot Clan. So the 1 supernatural battle out of the 4 total would be their throwdown with Shub-Niggurath
I really don't think so, Donny calls the Foot Clan mystical ninjas and paranormal nonsense, all in the same sentence. That, and the conversation was chock full of references to all four micro issues, I honestly don't believe he was talking about the Infestation issues.

Not even mentioned in the reference boxes, only the micro series #1-4.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #44
Chris
Mad Scientist

Regarding Fugitoid’s place in the timeline...

In TMNT #5 it’s said Raph has been training with the guys for a month. As that issue takes place around Christmas time that puts TMNT #1-4 in November (let’s say 2011). That makes the “18 months ago” flashback, where April joins Stockgen as an intern, May 2010 and the “15 months ago” flashbacks (the break in, the mutation, Old Hob starting to work with Baxter) August 2010.

So TMNT #5, the Raph micro and the Mikey mirco all take place late December (a few days before Christmas through to NYE)

TMNT #6 picks up shortly after, presumably early to mid January as April is back in college following winter break. There’s a small narrative (few days/week at most), where Kevin Eastman’s short Hero Comics story, the Donatello micro and Infestation 2 take place, then TMNT #7-8, Leo micro, TMNT #9-12 (and Splinter micro during #11) all take place over one night!

There’s another short narrative gap (only a day or so based on events in TMNT #13, like Splinter still meditating on Shredder’s return and Baxter just regaining consciousness following Krang drugging him in TMNT #12) where the April micro takes place, then we have the Casey micro which leads directly into TMNT #13-14. So I think it’s safe to say we’re still in January at the moment.

The earliest the Fugitoid micro can take place is between TMNT #12 and the April micro, as Chet reflects on events seen in TMNT #9. If Bobby says it fits after #14 then that’s good enough for me (he posted the other day it could fit either before #1 as most of it is set in the past or after #14 as that's when it was intended to be released). It’s only a few days later in the narrative, and actually fits nicely with Shredder telling Karai she’s no longer second in command in TMNT #13 as she’s not by his side when Chet meets him at the end of the micro.

Working on Fugitoid’s “present day” being January 2012, that makes the events of two years ago January 2010, and the events of 20 months ago May 2010, so Chet must have joined Stocktronics pretty much immediately as that’s the same month April joined as an intern! The timing is a little tight, but there’s nothing in that first flashback that really contradicts this. By 18 months ago (July 2010) Chet was officially aware that Baxter was working for Krang and presumably working on projects like the mutagen, terrapin exo-armor and psychotropic serum (I say officially as I presume he knew before and that’s the reason he took the job, but by July 2010 he had been told the truth, or at least a verison of it, by Baxter as he was in the office with Baxter whilst he was communicating with Krang).

Just skimmed through pretty much the entire run to make sure all the details fit and I have to say it’s been a great ride so far, and whilst #12 was a climax of sorts, it feels like everything is still building towards even bigger events in the near future with the upcoming Krang arc and the Foot Clan mini series!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #45
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Whoah, hardcore thinkin', Chris.

Curnow replied to your post over at the IDW forums and agreed that between #14 and #15 sounds good, too.

So I fixed the Turtle Tips section of my guide at TMNT Entity.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #46
Chris
Mad Scientist

Thanks Spengs, that means a lot coming from you

Bobby is awesome replying so fast.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #47
Powder
So tired of this place

Bobby is awesome in general.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #48
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So TMNT #5, the Raph micro and the Mikey mirco all take place late December (a few days before Christmas through to NYE)
Just to clean up for the sake of the timeline, These three stories can't take place before Christmas, since Raphael gets his Sai's on Christmas and he has his Sai's in his Micro-Series. Though admittedly I didn't get a very December in New York feeling from the Raphael Micro-Series.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #49
Chris
Mad Scientist

I never said they took place before, I said they take place from a few days before Christmas through to NYE

April is leaving on college for winter break in #5 so at absolute latest that's Christmas Eve (which admittedly works best for Raph getting his Sais for Christmas) but more likely few days before that.

The Raph micro then takes place in the week between Christmas and New Year (and I think Bobby admitted they goofed a bit with it not looking like winter back when the issue came out), with the Mikey micro taking place New Years Eve.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #50
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I never said they took place before, I said they take place from a few days before Christmas through to NYE

April is leaving on college for winter break in #5 so at absolute latest that's Christmas Eve (which admittedly works best for Raph getting his Sais for Christmas) but more likely few days before that.

The Raph micro then takes place in the week between Christmas and New Year (and I think Bobby admitted they goofed a bit with it not looking like winter back when the issue came out), with the Mikey micro taking place New Years Eve.
Right that was me being completely anal and saying that even the few days before would be pushing it. Though at the time I completely was forgetting that brief April interlude. Still since Christmas was on a Sunday, I could totally see her staying in New York until at least the 23rd especially considering her semi-job at Stocktronics.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #51
Chris
Mad Scientist

Yeah, Friday 23rd sounds as good as any other date. With that in mind, you could even say that by the time Splinter got back to the lair and gave the Turtles their presents it was very early hours of Christmas Eve.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
Chris
Mad Scientist

Still need to go back and add in the flashback dates for Fugitoid and 15, but I've updated the timeline with issues 15-16 (Blood Brothers) taking us into February.

I've put the Annual in October for now due to the Halloween reference but that's subject to change depending on events in the main series. Bobby said at one point it was set after 12/before 16 (so basically in the 2 week gap before 15) so I'm thinking it'll move there in the not too distant future, but we'll see how the narrative goes.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #53
ToTheNines
[sic]

All they said was early trick-or-treaters, not enough to put it in October.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
Chris
Mad Scientist

Yeah, but Feb is a bit too early to think a guy in a turtle "costume" and a guy in a hockey mask are trick or treaters rather than potential bank robbers or something!

It's only a very minor thing, so I've no problem at all moving it back to Bobby's original placement of before 15
Spoiler:
which I'm guessing is because the guys may be getting a new lair in 16
Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #55
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I think it's going to be a failing effort to keep individual TMNT issues on a calendar year. It's difficult enough to keep any sort of chronology intact! The only way the Halloween reference makes sense is if 8 or so months passed between Mike Micro/TMNT#5 before #6. #6-12 all happened in a short period of time, and I wouldn't say more than a month or so has passed since #12.

I actually thought about this when I read the Annual script, but it just felt wrong to strike the Halloween reference to keep some sort of hodgepodge dedication to a fictional calendar. I mean, of course we won't bounce around between summer and winter in the middle of a story arc, but generally, with things like micros and annuals... they will have to be looked at with a little bit of seasonal flexibility.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #56
Chris
Mad Scientist

Thanks for replying Bobby

I think as time goes by and more issues get added I'll have to switch to a much more practical "Year One"/"Year Two" style timeline. To be honest, the fact that we've had 24 issues from multiple writers and this is the first continuity "issue" (and I'm loathe to call it that as it's so minor it's not an issue at all) is an incredible achievement and everyone involved should be proud that they've been able to maintain such a tight continuity without compromising the stories being told and still deliver what is consistently one of the best titles on the shelves.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #57
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I figured it sort of had to fit between #14 and #15 no matter what, considering Casey is only shown staying at the Second Time Around shop and he's punished by Splinter for getting Raph seen on a TV camera.

It seemed to make sense with the whole "adopted by Splinter" thing that happened in #14. And since #15 starts a new arc, it'd have to slot into the narrative break between #14 and #15.

Yeah, the Halloween reference. But like Bobby said (n he'z da boss), you just gotta let comics be comics and ignore hard dates.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #58
Powder
So tired of this place

Certainly wouldn't be the first time we have a book with set in a debatable/vague point in time, no harm done. Only when there are real continuity bumps in the road is there cause for concern, I say.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #59
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Now that some time has passed, I feel tempted to just put each Micro before their respective set-up storyline.

-Casey Micro, #13, #14 (Sins of the Fathers)
-April Micro, #15, #16 (Blood Brothers)
-Fugitoid Micro, #17-20 (Krang War)

I know it's kind of goofy to have some of these issues released already and feel like a bunch that take place in between haven't been released yet, but it just feels cleanest this way to me, so the April issue doesn't leave us hanging for 3 issues before picking it back up. Plus, it restores the Micro numbering order and doesn't place #7 April before #6 Casey. Any continuity flubs I'm overlooking? I know Bobby mentions the continuity note in the issue itself that April takes place between #12-#13, but that might have been because of the timing of the releases more than where it really fits best. I asked him over at the IDW boards to see what he thinks. I know these things can get moved around after some time has passed and we can see the larger work at hand.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #60
thelouisguy
Hench Mutant

I cannot think of any continuity flubs this reading order would present. I am rereading the entire series and will try it in that order. I will let you know if it presents a problem.
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
timeline