The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
Unworthy tinker
Hench Mutant

I don't mind this episode. While I didn't find it awful or anything, I'm just not in a rush to rewatch it. That said, I do kind of appreciate this episode.

I don't like seeing hip things in my cartoon. Gonna feel dated. But truth? Memes are here to stay. They won't always be the same ones, but I think they'll stay so long as the internet exists.
The focus on memes in this episode, I mean, I don't think it'll get too dated. Hey didn't directly reference real life memes like Powerpuff Girls 2016 did, with the "no me gusta" bit, where we're just supposed to laugh becauss lol, real life reference. Here, the meme, while I'm suspecting is a reference to Nyan Cat, is still treated as an original thing in-universe. Gravity Falls did something similar, and it worked out fine, no backlash. Did I personally find the turtlepotomus meme funny? Not really, but I can see why someone might.
Also, the whole "mascots have been around longer" bit. This I feel may date the episode, but for the time we are in now, it's fine. I mean, obviously kids recognize Mickey Mouse, but he's not as big as he once was. Now he's just Disney's logo. Spongebob on the other hand? Everywhere due to meme culture. So in the moment, yes, it was interesting to see what could be commentary on the state of cartoons/meme culture. And even when perhaps that is no longer relevant the whole getting replaced by something newer bit will always be a thing we struggle with.

Analysis aside, yeah, relatively fun episode. Raph with his teddy bears, it's cute that that's what gets his temper going. Cute how Donnie had a thing for Atomic Lass, the whole crushing on fiction characters bit seems to echo real life a bit. Laughed at Raph being confused about getting money and the mime wanting money from Raph. Just yeah. Cute episode, animation is beautiful as always, but it isn't my favorite.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #22
miru
Mad Scientist

Atomic Lass could be elaborated upon further to turn her into a real love interest for Don. Maybe the Cockroach de-mutates and then for some reason re-mutates into something more attractive that resembles Atomic Lass closer? Or maybe, given the nature of the show, AL herself comes to life?
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, maybe her coming to life might work better, since all we've known (so far) was just a costume and the cockroach isn't her.

Or, alternately maybe he runs into a mutant girl he hits it off with and it turns out she had in fact been the actress who played her.

Spoiler:
Although if any cartoon series throws all taboos to the wind and lets any of the boys legitimately have a [not at all serious] thing with a human...it's going to be this one.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #24
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, maybe her coming to life might work better, since all we've known (so far) was just a costume and the cockroach isn't her.

Or, alternately maybe he runs into a mutant girl he hits it off with and it turns out she had in fact been the actress who played her.

Spoiler:
Although if any cartoon series throws all taboos to the wind and lets any of the boys legitimately have a [not at all serious] thing with a human...it's going to be this one.
We don’t really know how the cockroaches started out, whether as plain cockroaches or as human beings.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, logically speaking it should probably go that they had been human, since mosquitoes probably aren't known for biting other insects. Now would this show consider that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But if they were human and all know each other, all mutated the same, and are kind of really terrible people, then perhaps they'd been a bunch of crooks in some crummy roach infested apartment or holed up in some other location where they'd be exposed to them.

And in that case, maybe early mutants before the swarm of mosquitoes disbursed and had no chance to avoid being bitten? Or bitten while they slept so one had the chance to hit all of them.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-07-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #26
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Now the question is, how soon do we see them there in an ep and I want to know what disguise they've actually be using in order to shop in the place. lol I mean, come on now, according to Raph's member card he's been there a lot and has quite he collection.

(And will real life Build A Bear do 'Rise' Turtles? I mean, obvious tie-ins, come on now corporate people.)
Mayhem could be in there, if they do that. Would make a nice addition (if they don’t do a Sophie Campbell-inspired series) to my collection.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #27
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Atomic Lass could be elaborated upon further to turn her into a real, love interest for D-
Stop right there!

I don't mean to intrude, but ... dat ain't happenin'.

And, besides, does the show really need any main, canon couples? Especially if it's so soon? Especially if it's after 2k12?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #28
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Stop right there!

I don't mean to intrude, but ... dat ain't happenin'.

And, besides, does the show really need any main, canon couples? Especially if it's so soon? Especially if it's after 2k12?
2012’s couples seemed to be a big draw, so doingvit again would be a good bone thrown.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #29
Wretched Reptile
Foot Soldier

This episode was absolutely batsh!t insane lol. My wife and I looked at each other more than once with a wtf expression before busting out laughing. For the record, that's a positive thing lol. We love Rise so much. They keep bringing the weird and the wild to this series and that's more than ok with us.
Wretched Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Are the roaches the spine breaking bandit(s)? Probably just a coincidence for the sake that it rhymes, but they did threaten to breaks Raph's.

edit: Video quality plus screen recorder (plus coloration/lighting/quality in the ep itself for that bit?) didn't get the kind of image quality I had hoped for, but managed to turn it into a gif.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-10-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #31
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier

It's kind of interesting that the meme has more of a resemblance to 87 Raph.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #32
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I caught this episode out of pure random (rerun got aired on Nicktoons in the morning and I had fifteen or so minutes to spare) and, I gotta say, I really enjoyed it.

I didn't care for that first episode too much so I wasn't planning on following this show closely, and it could be low expectations talking, but this episode was a lot of fun. I probably tuned out my care for good dialogue right at "April's memes are so lit!!" and I think maybe that's what this ep is going for, as it really is just one 11-minute-long action scene. There's a lot of care that goes into how things move and all the neat shots and perspectives, it really is a lot of fun to just watch. Keeping the plot as a simple "Turtles need robe for Splinter, Turtles need cash" was a good move for what they were going for here, making it feel way less rushed than it would otherwise.

That said, this thing was weird. And I loved it. They really play up the absurdity of the entire situation and use that to its own advantage. To me, a lot of the humor didn't come from the self-contained jokes, but from just the sheer ridiculousness of what was on screen. I think this kind of episode is where Rise can thrive, just self-contained stories that focus on animation, action, and absurdity, and if they drop the arc (if they haven't already, I've only seen this and Mystic Mayhem, looked to me like that first episode was setting up an arc) I think it would be beneficial to the show. Helps the pacing and all that.

Of course I'm saying that having only seen one other episode so I don't know how they've handled it after Mayhem but if it's handled in a similar way as in that ep...
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

You might like some of the other eps in that case. They haven't even touched that arc set by Mystic Mayhem, not until the 17th of this month. They've all otherwise been self contained eps so far.