The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #881
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The War of Jokes and Riddles is off to a great start!

But I haven't really liked anything Tom King has done yet, so I'm nervous... guess we'll see!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #882
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Wow, Superman's wrap-up of the Black Dawn arc was mega-rushed. Lois didn't lose her leg after all [illusion] and Manchester's mind wound up in a cow [ok, that was funny]
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #883
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

This was probably my favorite panel from the newest issue of Super Sons:

Spoiler:

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #884
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Not Batman per se, but kryptonite would win.

When did the white outline of the bat insigna debut?

Also is James Jesse aka The Trickster back? If they revived the first Mirror Master? I don't get ehy Scudder would return after McCullough seems to have been a rate success as a replacement. Also was Boomerang Jr. retconned out of existence? I remember he and his father traded places being dead in Blackest Night.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #885
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Not to nitpick or anything,but Sarko was said to be half Kougarian. Wouldn't he be a quarter Kougarian and a quarter Ungarian? If memory serves Abin Sur's sister is Sornanik's mother.

Also, who are those youths dressed in white with Deathstroke supposed to be? Seeing Slade in white stood out in the ad.

After Deathstroke in my profile thread I planned on covering Sinestro and then Cat-Man. Is there another character any of you want me to cover or you to cover yourselves?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #886
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Paul Dini is going be co-writing a 6-issue crossover with Archie Comics, "Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica": http://ew.com/books/2017/07/06/gotha...etty-veronica/

Quote:
At first glance, Riverdale and Gotham City don’t appear to have a lot in common. Where the former is mostly preoccupied with high school drama, the latter has to worry about psychopathic clowns getting chased around by people dressed as bats. One thing they do share, however, is a resident pair of ass-kicking girl friends. EW can exclusively reveal that those two duos will unite this fall in the six-issue crossover miniseries, Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica.

The series will be co-written by Marc Andreyko and Paul Dini, with art from Laura Braga. Dini originally created Harley Quinn on Batman: The Animated Series, the show that also established the character’s flirty friendship with Poison Ivy. The new series will find them pitting their girl power against Riverdale’s most famous pair. When a proposal emerges to drain the wetlands between Gotham and Riverdale, Ivy sticks up for her beloved fauna by enlisting Harley to kidnap valuable heiress Veronica Lodge and her best friend, Betty. Chaos, you may assume, ensues.

“It’s the sort of offer you scream out ‘YES!’ to before your eyes reach the middle of the email,” Dini said in a statement. “I’ve always wanted the chance to play in Riverdale and to help Harley and Ivy invade it is a dream come true. Marc’s a great talent and a good friend. Writing this series with him has been like sitting on the lawn during summer vacation and reading a big pile of DC and Archie comics. Except we have to stay indoors and type a lot.”

Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica #1 is set to hit stores on Oct. 4. Check out Amanda Conner’s cover above. Each issue will come with a Conner cover and a variant from Adam Hughes, who recently wrapped his own Betty & Veronica comic.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #887
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

If you're not reading "The War of Jokes and Riddles", you should be...
Old 07-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #888
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Does this storyline take The Long Halloween? I feel like it presents contradictions.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #889
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Does this storyline take The Long Halloween? I feel like it presents contradictions.
I don't understand your question.

It's basically taking place a year later after "Zero Year" from the New52 continuity, but most of the villains (Ivy, Freeze, Clayface, Croc, et al) are established and picking sides.

I'm loving it.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #890
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't understand your question.

It's basically taking place a year later after "Zero Year" from the New52 continuity, but most of the villains (Ivy, Freeze, Clayface, Croc, et al) are established and picking sides.

I'm loving it.
The Long Halloween by Loeb and Sale happens late in year two. I see contradictions such as Two Face already being around and Carmine Falcone still alive. That is what I mean by contradictions. Other villains like Killer Croc and Deathstroke should not be active villains at that point either.

I also do not like Riddler being prone to murder. It's not true to the core of the character.

Why is it The Joker wants The Riddler dead so bad? Is it because Eddie is interfering in the yin/yang game he plays with Batman?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #891
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Ugh, this crap is why I don't bother. Give me Dark Horse, give me indie, give me any of the Batman stuff that tidies up neatly and doesn't refer to multiverses or use cheap tricks. Plus I wish DC and Marvel would actually listen to fan feedback, maybe they wouldn't suck with their storylines as much if they knew what stuff people get annoyed about.

I just want a simple Batman comic, where he fights off the Joker, has run-ins with the Penguin, Poison Ivy, the Riddler, etc, and has good character development.

There is only one set of Batman comics I'm interested in getting. It's called Batman: Red Rain (there are two other books in this trilogy, but I can't remember their names.) It's different, it ends when it ends, and there is no multiverse wank, this universe appears to be self-contained. It's just pure, uncomplicated Batman.

There was one other Batman book that I got that I really liked, it was the first crossover (I'm assuming) of TMNT and Batman. What was interesting about it was how it changed up the bad guys that Batman fought, giving a unique take on them that was quite fun (and could be quite dark.) Sadly though, it didn't end up becoming (or being planned as ) it's own self-contained hybrid universe, but had to regress back to that status quo due to an earlier on-running 'continuity.'

And if this had been a self contained universe/story with a beginning and end, they could have done whatever the hell they wanted. They could have made the Turtles (or Batman) be just another part of secretive Gotham (or New York.) They could have forced Bats with the hard choice of whether or not to kill his enemies, since they were (even more dangerous) mutants now. I've seen this with Superman vs. Aliens. Batman vs. the Predator was another good one. Stuff that doesn't pretend that it's a part of some bigger 'continuity' that Marvel or DC will just undo later, half-ass, or shove into some convenient 'multiverse' trashcan.

Stuff that is fun, doesn't try to reference stupid stuff from way over in that other comic line, and is full of meaningful events that last in that universe.

Am I asking too much for comics to be fun again?

Last edited by Metalwolf; 07-08-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #892
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Plus I wish DC and Marvel would actually listen to fan feedback
Isn't DC already doing so with Rebirth, which is basically an apology letter for the mistakes made in the New 52 era?

Old 07-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #893
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Isn't DC already doing so with Rebirth, which is basically an apology letter for the mistakes made in the New 52 era?
Except that I doubt this 'apology' will last. Thing is, I can't help but feel highly skeptical because every big reboot I've ever known is often promoted to be The One To Fix It All, until it doesn't, and then we see This One Will Really Fix Things Now, We Promise coming after it.

If they do learn from their mistakes, I will be highly impressed. Often it seems these guys go into a 'If this isn't working, we'll just do this even harder until it does' mentality they won't budge from, often thinking that if they try hard enough, they can magically turn a turd into a diamond.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #894
ZariusTwo
Overlord

DC is really good at the moment, there are some comics I've dropped because they're starting to get too dark or too political [Aquaman and Green Arrow], but the majority of the books I am reading are far better than Marvel.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #895
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Wonder Woman's first post Ruka issue was alright, nice to see young Diana in the flashbacks, and I felt bad when she had to give up her dolly, but man did Etta get over the whole thing from last issue quickly
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #896
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Full Coverage of DC's Press Breakfast

https://www.newsarama.com/35471-sdcc...breakfast.html

Paul Dini and Jimmy Palmiotti will return sometime next year for another chapter in Harley's story

Tom King says the Batman/Catwoman proposal storyline is the half-way point of his epic novel, and that you won't know if Bruce's attempts to make Selina his bride are sincere or another layer of his insanity. The revelation in ''Jokes and Riddles'' shakes Selina to her core and drives Bruce on a desert quest that will baffle his Robins and the JL.

The theme of King's run is ''Can Batman ever truly get over the loss of Thomas and Martha Wayne?''

He calls the finale of his Mister Miracle story his ''biggest twist''
Old 07-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #897
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Full Coverage of DC's Press Breakfast

https://www.newsarama.com/35471-sdcc...breakfast.html

Paul Dini and Jimmy Palmiotti will return sometime next year for another chapter in Harley's story

Tom King says the Batman/Catwoman proposal storyline is the half-way point of his epic novel, and that you won't know if Bruce's attempts to make Selina his bride are sincere or another layer of his insanity. The revelation in ''Jokes and Riddles'' shakes Selina to her core and drives Bruce on a desert quest that will baffle his Robins and the JL.

The theme of King's run is ''Can Batman ever truly get over the loss of Thomas and Martha Wayne?''

He calls the finale of his Mister Miracle story his ''biggest twist''

Insanity? Batman is driven not insane. There is the exception of Batman written by Frank Miller however.

He does not have to "get over" his parents murder. He might one day change how he reacts to it such as one reality where he married Selina and became police commissioner(Earth-2). Anothe reality in Batman#300, he decided to propose to Selina and run for governor as a way of fighting crime and still have happiness. Do I detect he is not getting married to Catwoman after all because it is believed that he cannot be married and be Batman simultaneously?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:43 AM   #898
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Insanity? Batman is driven not insane. There is the exception of Batman written by Frank Miller however.

He does not have to "get over" his parents murder. He might one day change how he reacts to it such as one reality where he married Selina and became police commissioner(Earth-2). Anothe reality in Batman#300, he decided to propose to Selina and run for governor as a way of fighting crime and still have happiness. Do I detect he is not getting married to Catwoman after all because it is believed that he cannot be married and be Batman simultaneously?
I think he and Selina will get married by the end of the run, especially with the tease that the arc is ongoing and other love interests will play a part in it, and that Bruce is driven to redeem himself, possibly to become a man Selina would want to marry. I think Selina's answer will be a very complicated ''no..for now, but you can change, come back to me when you can, and I will wait for you''

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 07-21-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #899
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I think he and Selina will get married by the end of the run, especially with the tease that the arc is ongoing and other love interests will play a part in it, and that Bruce is driven to redeem himself, possibly to become a man Selina would want to marry. I think Selina's answer will be a very complicated ''no..for now, but you can change, come back to me when you can, and I will wait for you''
It reminds me of Barbara putting her engagement to Dick on hold when he went with Bruce and Tim rato retrace Bruce's steps overseas. Yet it was forgotten about within continuity drspite coming back to it later to tie the knot.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #900
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
It reminds me of Barbara putting her engagement to Dick on hold when he went with Bruce and Tim rato retrace Bruce's steps overseas. Yet it was forgotten about within continuity drspite coming back to it later to tie the knot.
Yeah, I've gone on rants about the Convergence wedding a number of times in here

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman