The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
discordiatookie
facehugger

Guess I should really read the credits, huh? Thanks for that, I feel honoured

There was a coupla times I actually laughed out loud, reading this. Especially the last pic, and final line.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #22
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

cool article!

there are a few bits on laird's 'blast from the past' blog about the steve barron project. he mentions fx tests on splinter in one post... something about character maquettes in another. it was actually going to be a mini-series to air on the hallmark channel. strange, i know. by that point, barron had directed several mini-series projects for hallmark.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
cool article!

there are a few bits on laird's 'blast from the past' blog about the steve barron project. he mentions fx tests on splinter in one post... something about character maquettes in another. it was actually going to be a mini-series to air on the hallmark channel. strange, i know. by that point, barron had directed several mini-series projects for hallmark.
Was the 4th flick and the Hallmark miniseries the same thing?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #24
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Was the 4th flick and the Hallmark miniseries the same thing?
I've not gotten that impression. From I've read it always seemed like seperate projects.

I've always assumed that the pitch with the turtles and Splinter gaining powers was completely seperate from the one with Kirby the fifth turtle also.

The latter which was supposed to be a loose adaption of Donatello #1 swapping a Jack Kirby inspired world for a dark gothic world one with Julie Strain playing an evil empress but dissatisfied with what the studio was providing them Peter wrote a 20 page treatment but it still didn't steer them in what he and Kevin felt was the right direction.

It stands to reason all these be seperate. I mean it all seems to be too much to pack in to one movie especialy when you add in Venus and a fight with Shredder on the Astral Plane (from the Hallmark project).
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #25
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The latter which was supposed to be a loose adaption of Donatello #1 swapping a Jack Kirby inspired world for a dark gothic world one with Julie Strain playing an evil empress but dissatisfied with what the studio was providing them Peter wrote a 20 page treatment but it still didn't steer them in what he and Kevin felt was the right direction.
Quote:
especialy when you add in Venus and a fight with Shredder on the Astral Plane (from the Hallmark project).
How have I never heard of all this?!

Evil Empresses?
Venus/Shredder/Astral Plane in the Hallmark project?

Somehow I missed all this!! Do you have any more details?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #26
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
How have I never heard of all this?!

Evil Empresses?
Venus/Shredder/Astral Plane in the Hallmark project?

Somehow I missed all this!! Do you have any more details?
Peter put a design for something he called the Shreddant on his blog. Link

There's also another piece of Laird art that I've seen around with the turtles searching some ruins with the Shreddant looming in the background but I think that's just something he did for fun rather than something to do with the mini series.

The rest I'd say is pretty common knowledge, particularly a movie with Venus. If I remember correctly Andrew Modeen had a lot of stuff about it on his old TMNTEmpire site. Interviews, news articles, quotes from Dan Berger etc. I think this link will work.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
The rest I'd say is pretty common knowledge, particularly a movie with Venus. If I remember correctly Andrew Modeen had a lot of stuff about it on his old TMNTEmpire site. Interviews, news articles, quotes from Dan Berger etc. I think this link will work.
Hey, it's been a long time since I've seen that! Thanks for the link!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
Donnie
Something from the Past

I'm among those who have never seen this, so it's news to me!

I really like the next mutations story line...it was a cool idea. I like Don's mutation. Leo's is pretty badass. Mikey's is okay. Raphael meets Wolverine, anyone? The only mutation that is a little off-setting for me is Splinter's. He looks too...big.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #29
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Peter put a design for something he called the Shreddant on his blog. Link

There's also another piece of Laird art that I've seen around with the turtles searching some ruins with the Shreddant looming in the background but I think that's just something he did for fun rather than something to do with the mini series.
Thanks for the link, I've never seen that before. I miss read your earlier post and thought Venus was rumoured to be in the Hallmark Project, that's what really threw me as I know how much Laird hates her.

Quote:
Thanks for the link! Sounds like there were a lot of possible plots for TMNT 4!

The Next Mutation - with the new designs/powers from Peter Laird's blog

Kirby/Alternate Dimension - with Julie Strain as an Evil Empress (though this may be the same as the next mutation project?)

The Next Mutation Sequel - combining plot elements from RTNY/CAW and Venus

Then more rewrites taking Venus out... then the Hallmark Project (Shreddant/Astral Plane)... the finally TMNT.

I enjoyed TMNT, but I think the original Next Mutation project sounds the best (especially if they wanted to draw the plot from RTNY/CAW)
Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Never seen this either...wow. Hey, Doc, looks like another ammendment is in the works.

EDIT: One wonders if Kevin or Pete still have these earily drafts...I'd love to see them.

Last edited by Jester; 03-13-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #31
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Kirby/Alternate Dimension - with Julie Strain as an Evil Empress (though this may be the same as the next mutation project?)
In Eastman's Artobiography, it is suggested that this was a planned character for the Next Mutation TV show. I guess after the show was canceled there could have been a push to implement leftover ideas into a film:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #32
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

That would have been odd, considering what appears on her IMDB...yikes!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #33
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
If I remember correctly Andrew Modeen had a lot of stuff about it on his old TMNTEmpire site. Interviews, news articles, quotes from Dan Berger etc. I think this link will work.
interesting... thanks for the link! i'm really shocked that none of the scripts have ever leaked online.

i'm curious if steve barron would have approached the mini-series as an extension of his TMNT film.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I finally decided to take a look at your article, Dr.Spengler and it's really good. All that information is really intriging.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #35
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That would have been odd, considering what appears on her IMDB...yikes!
It was pretty much nepotism... she was married to Eastman at the time (not to put anyone down, though).

But I remember that back around 1999 or so, there's was this page with a lot of info on the planned fourth movie. I remember it mentioning a villainess (Julie's character?), that April's absence from the Next Mutation was due in part to Eastman no longer being in a relationship with her namesake, and the controversy over whether not Leo decapitating Shredder would make it into the flick. Does anyone else remember this webpage?
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #36
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
and the controversy over whether not Leo decapitating Shredder would make it into the flick. Does anyone else remember this webpage?
No, but if anybody finds it, PLEASE SHARE! I've never heard anything about Leo decapitating Shredder, but I would certainly love to!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also remember the 4th movie was going to be re-tooled to include Venus after Next Mutation hit.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #38
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
In Eastman's Artobiography, it is suggested that this was a planned character for the Next Mutation TV show. I guess after the show was canceled there could have been a push to implement leftover ideas into a film:
Thanks for the picture. That would have been interesting to see. As bad as it was I actually wish TNM could have got a second season so we could have seen this on the show, the return of Shredder and the defeat of Dragon Lord, which was all left unresolved.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #39
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

i agree i really wish there was a 2nd season to the next mutation, it is one of my favorite tmnt shows.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Some info from my site years and years ago here:
http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/tmnt/nt4.html
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live action films, tmnt entity