The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #81
Leo656
The Franchise

In a perfect world, we could have a little of everything.

It would definitely be a little bit redundant, though, in this case. The original MOTU toys had such limited articulation that the Origins figures are a huge leap forward. The original Playmates TMNT figures already had fairly decent articulation by comparison so a re-do in the same scale with better joints wouldn't be enough to entice most people, I don't think. The Super7 figures are both larger and have much-improved articulation so they seem to be more in line with what contemporary collectors want. As a result, a 5-inch line in the same style as MOTU Origins would probably seem very pointless to many; they wouldn't be THAT great of an improvement over the originals. An improvement for sure, but not as big as going from vintage MOTU to Origins. So I guess there's just not much point in it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #82
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The original TMNT toyline put Playmates Toys on the map and it did one hell of a lot better than the 1982 Mattel MOTU line in its heyday,
Have you got numbers to support this? I'm not saying you're wrong, both were phenomena, but He-Man was outselling Barbie if I recall correctly.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #83
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Have you got numbers to support this? I'm not saying you're wrong, both were phenomena, but He-Man was outselling Barbie if I recall correctly.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were the best selling toys of the year 1990 worldwide. Cabbage Patch Kids and G1 Transformers both outsold the Masters of the Universe toyline in its heyday (1983-1984).

https://www.pocket-lint.com/parentin...d-tech.amphtml

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...-2019-11%3famp
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #84
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
The original MOTU toys had such limited articulation that the Origins figures are a huge leap forward. The original Playmates TMNT figures already had fairly decent articulation by comparison so a re-do in the same scale with better joints wouldn't be enough to entice most people, I don't think.
Weren't they both mostly 5 POA? I know there are a couple TMNT figures with elbows but most are just as limited as MOTU aren't they? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I would LOVE an Origins-style line but I think it would need to be around that $15 price point for it to be all that tempting since we're already getting Super7's amazing Ultimates. Origins is possible at that price because there's so much heavy reuse with the bodies. I doubt TMNT could ever come close to matching it with the level of unique sculpts and paint that would be required.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #85
mikey0
Foot Elite

Every MOTU Origins type TMNT figure would come with a pop-up mutant display if I were the toy maker. Such a great idea.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:09 AM   #86
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

So.... when are these releasing?
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #87
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Looks like it will be earlier next year.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #88
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Here’s one set: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/p...ction-figures/

Not sure when they’re getting to Walmart.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #89
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Weren't they both mostly 5 POA? I know there are a couple TMNT figures with elbows but most are just as limited as MOTU aren't they? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I would LOVE an Origins-style line but I think it would need to be around that $15 price point for it to be all that tempting since we're already getting Super7's amazing Ultimates. Origins is possible at that price because there's so much heavy reuse with the bodies. I doubt TMNT could ever come close to matching it with the level of unique sculpts and paint that would be required.
If you are talking original 90's toys then yeah pretty much 5 POA with a few exceptions. I had thought Playmates doing a Origins type line would be cool. Thing is they have a habit of not allowing anyone else in their space. If I have to choose between an origins style line from Playmates and Super7 Ultimates I'll take Super7 Ultimates please.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #90
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
If you are talking original 90's toys then yeah pretty much 5 POA with a few exceptions. I had thought Playmates doing a Origins type line would be cool. Thing is they have a habit of not allowing anyone else in their space. If I have to choose between an origins style line from Playmates and Super7 Ultimates I'll take Super7 Ultimates please.
We’re not alone: https://mobile.twitter.com/preternia...53820687998976

What does it take for Playmates to listen?
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #91
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
What does it take for Playmates to listen?
Nobody knows. They never listen to fans at all.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #92
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Looks like it will be earlier next year.
They're out right now, I just saw them at my local comic shop yesterday.

They're out-and-out repaints of their cartoon-styled Turtles and they were $1 more than the NECA Turtles in Time figures
Old 12-31-2020, 06:41 PM   #93
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
They're out right now, I just saw them at my local comic shop yesterday.

They're out-and-out repaints of their cartoon-styled Turtles and they were $1 more than the NECA Turtles in Time figures
I hope this is it for 2012 Classic Collection TMNT repaints. Playmates never gave us Classic Collection Shredder and Krang’s Android Body, but instead we get “Elite Series” repaints?
Old 12-31-2020, 07:25 PM   #94
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Purple Dragon View Post
Those was the figures that did end the Neca tmnt line and the reason we did wait 8 years to Get shredder and the foot.they was just protos made so Neca coued not sell tmnt at toys a rus and was never intended to be made AS toys it was just a Hoax to stop Neca instead we did Get a rerelase of the 88 turtles.and if they woued have relased them dont think they woued look AS good AS on the pic.they woued have skip all they paint apps just like they did with the 2012 line just Google the protos of those and then look at the retail version.

Now on this elite figures i love the box art but Get sick of everything else.i really hope adult collectors dont buy those and support playmate.i guess playmate is only to make this to make it Harder fore Neca and super7.i guess we can say goodbuy to a Neca mirage line at special stores like bbts now and only hope now is lootcrate or at the necastore.

To leo656 playmate did just buy the rights to godzilla so now they are making ****** godzilla toys and making Neca out of making godzilla figures In the same process.
Do you have proof to that claim because NECA's license never allowed them for retail. NECA's excuse was they didnt do very well which didnt quite make sense either.

Playmates Mirage turtles didnt get much orders considering the human characters didnt look good and compared to NECA stuff, NECA ver. is much prefered.

Playmates often get much of the blame which is not fair.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #95
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Do you have proof to that claim because NECA's license never allowed them for retail. NECA's excuse was they didnt do very well which didnt quite make sense either.

Playmates Mirage turtles didnt get much orders considering the human characters didnt look good and compared to NECA stuff, NECA ver. is much prefered.

Playmates often get much of the blame which is not fair.
And who do you think gave them such a limited license?

It’s the excuse/reason neca gives, in public, about what happened. Considering playmates is still involved you’ll never have anyone from neca, on the record right now, admitting to playmate’s sabotage.

Last edited by King Kahn; 12-31-2020 at 09:15 PM.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #96
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
And who do you think gave them such a limited license?

It’s the excuse/reason neca gives, in public, about what happened. Considering playmates is still involved you’ll never have anyone from neca, on the record right now, admitting to playmate’s sabotage.
Be careful how you word things.
Playmates did nothing unless you have proof. Plus Playmates held the master license so they have the right to unhold the agreement. NECA was known to not finish their toy lines after 1or 2 waves. thats their own problem.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #97
Powder
So tired of this place

Why are you a Playmates apologist when all they've done is spit in adult collector's faces for the last decade+?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #98
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Why are you a Playmates apologist when all they've done is spit in adult collector's faces for the last decade+?
They really have.... The last straw for me was the TMNT '12 "Rotocast Collection". And that was the first time in twenty years that I was truly excited about new TMNT stuff.

But even those have their niche, I suppose. The show was great and someday the toy aftermarket is going to move on them the way the '03 stuff does now.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:43 AM   #99
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Be careful how you word things.
Playmates did nothing unless you have proof. Plus Playmates held the master license so they have the right to unhold the agreement. NECA was known to not finish their toy lines after 1or 2 waves. thats their own problem.
Be careful how I word things? Or what? Lol ok man.

Perhaps they only were able to finish “1 or 2 waves” because it’s all they were allowed?

It’s no coincidence that the bounty of tmnt product we are getting is only AFTER Nick bought tmnt. You can make of that what you will.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #100
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Elite Series action figure set is $94.99 with free shipping at Entertainment Earth.

Here’s the link: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/p...9e01040a24060c