The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What, in re-releasing TMNT 1-3 from NES? Like 4 people would buy them, and they're all probably on this forum.
Hrmm. No, I think there's more goodwill to releasing a nostalgia pack than you think. Re-Shelled didn't do so well at the time, but 2009 in TMNT is a lot than these days. Sure, the recent games have severely under performed and the new movie franchise has ended...but the Nick show is still out and the toys and comics still sell well. I think with such a black eye on TMNT games at the moment, a cool way to overt that would be a Sonic Mania type strategy with those old Konami games.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
that's because it was bat **** terrible.

The graphics where ok and the voices where nice. but the game play was horribly teedious and badly controlled.
Oh, so it was a faithful adaptation, then?

I can still remember throwing the SNES controller at the TV trying to throw Foot Soldiers at the screen, or whatever. Next to impossible.

Quote:
if it's not mirage, or violent, he thinks people aren't interested
Huh? How is that remotely relevant? #1) All the Konami TMNT games are violent. In fact, that's all they are. Just walking left to right, mashing 2 buttons to smack rainbow colored Foot Soldiers over and over again with not even really an illusion of plot progression. #2) It's not a matter of opinion if people are interested or not, it's a matter of fact. You know what gaming company out there doesn't renew a license to be able to continue selling a best-selling game?

No one. That's who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Hrmm. No, I think there's more goodwill to releasing a nostalgia pack than you think. Re-Shelled didn't do so well at the time, but 2009 in TMNT is a lot than these days. Sure, the recent games have severely under performed and the new movie franchise has ended...but the Nick show is still out and the toys and comics still sell well. I think with such a black eye on TMNT games at the moment, a cool way to overt that would be a Sonic Mania type strategy with those old Konami games.
Maybe. They'll obviously try something, but I don't think playing on hipster nostalgia is going to be what they try, particularly after OotS failed and the slow realization dawning on them of the math equation that Bebop + Cowabunga + Technodrome doesn't necessarily = $$$. Let alone crappy Final Fight NES clones from 20 years ago. Maybe some 30 year old in a plaid shirt and a man bun heading up a startup video game company will throw them onto some cheap gaming network, leave them on there, and then be forced to take them down in 6 months when the games fail to even make back the money it probably took to get the 6 month license with Nick/Konami to begin with.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

There is a huge following among classic games on major gaming forums like IGN, neogaf, gamespot, gamefaqs, etc. Interest in old NES games especially popular ones like TMNT were are still high.

And yes, we're all 25-30+ year old adults now but that doesn't matter.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #24
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Maybe. They'll obviously try something, but I don't think playing on hipster nostalgia is going to be what they try, particularly after OotS failed and the slow realization dawning on them of the math equation that Bebop + Cowabunga + Technodrome doesn't necessarily = $$$. Let alone crappy Final Fight NES clones from 20 years ago. Maybe some 30 year old in a plaid shirt and a man bun heading up a startup video game company will throw them onto some cheap gaming network, leave them on there, and then be forced to take them down in 6 months when the games fail to even make back the money it probably took to get the 6 month license with Nick/Konami to begin with.
Ha! Don't sugar coat it, how do you really feel!?

But yeah, you're right...they'll eventually find a way to try something out but it's also more of a pipe dream of mine that they would release the old games in such a fashion. Like CyberCubed mentioned, I'm in the notion that there is still a huge appetite for old school video games re-released and especially for a franchise that hit it out of the park back in the day like TMNT did for Konami.

I think the main problem is you have people behind the scenes that think just slapping a license on something (LJN games ) will ultimately make it good...that way of thinking doesn't work on video games any more especially with indie games finding a way to out do so much.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #25
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
TMNT is a licensed property since its not a videogame franchise. Other companies can't release different publishers games.

TMNT changes license holders to whoeever wants to make a new game. The current license holders do not own the rights to the classic games, only Konami does. So they can't be re-released.
Than how the hell was Ubisoft able to do a remake of a Konami game?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
But yeah, you're right...they'll eventually find a way to try something out but it's also more of a pipe dream of mine that they would release the old games in such a fashion. Like CyberCubed mentioned, I'm in the notion that there is still a huge appetite for old school video games re-released and especially for a franchise that hit it out of the park back in the day like TMNT did for Konami.
I just don't get it. I don't get the appeal.

Since, you know, about the year 1998... the cost of an emulator? $0. Cost of ROM? $0. Cost of knockoff NES-like controller to plug into your computer? Maybe like $30. There you go, you can play them all, console perfect. This isn't exactly a secret.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #27
Vegita-San
Emperor

the newer games just LOOKED terrible and hard to follow in the previews they showed. If I didn't bother to try them cause they looked tough to follow, I can imagine other people not picking it up.

Those Nick Turtle games arn't so great either.I still don't think I've finished the first one.

The last good turtle games where for the DS. after that konami lost their touch.

People elsewhere HAVE been asking for these classics...and it's more than 4 people.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
The last good turtle games where for the DS. after that konami lost their touch..
Konami hasn't made any TMNT games after the 2k3 series.

Ubisoft made the games based on the 2007 movie, then Smash-Up, then Activision got the license for the Nick era and the IDW inspired game.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #29
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I can still remember throwing the SNES controller at the TV trying to throw Foot Soldiers at the screen, or whatever. Next to impossible.
Maybe, I don't know, try and learn how the game works? I can throw Foot Soldiers at the screen 99% of the time, you just run and charge into them and then hit them again while they're stunned and you should throw them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Because they didn't release the same game, they remade it, it works differently that way.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #30
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Having a collection of all of the games won't ever happen because of the rights issues with 3 different companies but If enough money was thrown it's entirely possible.

The good news is licensing games from only one company is not that difficult, as we saw Ubisoft licensed the Konami arcade games various times and even offering them as extras so I'm guessing it wasn't even that expensive. Counting Konami seems pretty much done with the gaming industry for the most part they're very likely to be more flexible and finally counting the games have huge nostalgic appeal and aren't bad games gives high hopes for re-releases of the NES/Arcade games in the future. Sadly the Activition/Ubisoft games don't have any nostalgic appeal and aren't considered good games so any company trying to license them is not likely at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Because they didn't release the same game, they remade it, it works differently that way.
Except that doesn't work like that, they had the license of that game from Konami and that's the only way they were able to remake them. Licensing things is a complex issue, when they gave the games as freebies for example Ubisoft only licensed the game and didn't want to pay for the music which is why they didn't have the original music but when they ported the first arcade game they ponied up the money to also get the music rights and when they made a remake for the second arcade game they still had to pay for it even if it's a "remake". When EA made a new Goldeneye they didn't pay Rare/MS/Nintendo which is why that remake is nothing like the original Goldeneye, it's just based on the movie but it's not an actual movie since they couldn't remake it. In fact that's a great example since it requires Nintendo, the holder of the 007 license at the moment and Microsoft to work together on it which is why the project fell apart a few years ago when they tried to make a real remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Ubisoft had the rights to TMNT games when they did Turtles in Time ReShelled.
No, just having the rights to the license doesn't mean you can re-make/port games from older companies as those older companies own the actual code, you need to license the code from them as well.

Last edited by sdp; 01-11-2017 at 05:23 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #31
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Ubisoft had the rights to TMNT games when they did Turtles in Time ReShelled.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #32
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
I just don't get it. I don't get the appeal.

Since, you know, about the year 1998... the cost of an emulator? $0. Cost of ROM? $0. Cost of knockoff NES-like controller to plug into your computer? Maybe like $30. There you go, you can play them all, console perfect. This isn't exactly a secret.
Why pay for entertainment when you can acquire it illegally for free? Gee willy willikers what a statement.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #33
Vegita-San
Emperor

roms don't always work great either.

if they take the time and effort to release it, I'll gladly pay for it mutliple times over to show support properly. only way to do it..especially if you want to show that you want more of the same stuff.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

This thread needs to be locked. It's obvious none of you have any idea how the videogame industry works.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #35
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Andrew is just being Andrew with that said, while roms may be a gray area in general when it comes to licensed properties you have to consider them abandonware since the rights are stuck in limbo and there's really nothing wrong with pirating them as in the case with TMNT games which now includes the Activition titles. The morality is up to you but I consider then fair game if there's no "easy" legal way to acquire them.

Now if they for some reason become available then yes you should totally support the franchise that you love even if you can get it for "free" as with most movies/music etc. as you vote with your wallet for cool stuff like that to happen and it's nice to have an official release.

It's not the ROMs that are bad, that's just the info on the game, that is basically perfect, the problem is the emulators which try to replicate the original hardware digitally and they will never run the same as they would in original hardware unless the actual game is ported but with these older game systems you can get games running 98.999% where only hardcore nerds can actually tell the difference and ironically the pirated emulators since they have so many enthusiasts usually run better than most "official" commercial releases.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #36
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Andrew is just being Andrew with that said, while roms may be a gray area in general when it comes to licensed properties you have to consider them abandonware since the rights are stuck in limbo and there's really nothing wrong with pirating them as in the case with TMNT games which now includes the Activition titles. The morality is up to you but I consider then fair game if there's no "easy" legal way to acquire them.

Now if they for some reason become available then yes you should totally support the franchise that you love even if you can get it for "free" as with most movies/music etc. as you vote with your wallet for cool stuff like that to happen and it's nice to have an official release.

It's not the ROMs that are bad, that's just the info on the game, that is basically perfect, the problem is the emulators which try to replicate the original hardware digitally and they will never run the same as they would in original hardware unless the actual game is ported but with these older game systems you can get games running 98.999% where only hardcore nerds can actually tell the difference and ironically the pirated emulators since they have so many enthusiasts usually run better than most "official" commercial releases.
I fully support emulation being used to preserve games, especially as the years roll by and physical components break down. I support people deciding to use emulation for their own personal needs. I do not support people advocating that others use it instead of actually buying the product.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #37
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
What, in re-releasing TMNT 1-3 from NES? Like 4 people would buy them, and they're all probably on this forum.
I think you underestimate the audience. Those games are part of any Nes collector's collection. They would do well.

Quote:

Considering the Snes game is seen as a classic a lot of people would disagree with you that the game is unplayable.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #38
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I think you underestimate the audience. Those games are part of any Nes collector's collection. They would do well.

Considering the Snes game is seen as a classic a lot of people would disagree with you that the game is unplayable.
bingo..i had no problem learning the controls on the SNES game. in fact, they work better in the SNES game than they do the arcade game, where throwing foot soldiers at the screen seems more random and the physics are not as good. usually it's the reverse.

also, occasionally forget to log in and accidentally see cubed posts... lol..
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #39
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
bingo..i had no problem learning the controls on the SNES game. in fact, they work better in the SNES game than they do the arcade game, where throwing foot soldiers at the screen seems more random and the physics are not as good. usually it's the reverse.

also, occasionally forget to log in and accidentally see cubed posts... lol..
The Snes game is in fact better than the arcade game in that it has extra levels.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
video game rights