The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ-manTurtleMan View Post
Donatello is the least appealing to me. Don't care for his weird looking head. I love Leo's design though, he looks smarmy and sarcastic, and with Ben Schwartz voicing him, I'm sure he will be. I also love his red eye marks, all the turtles seem to have natural marks on them which I like.
If you aren't the biggest fan of magic, see it as the "Donatello series" instead.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #22
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I just noticed Mikey has like... pizza tattoos and other weird nonsense all over his shell and plastron. Overkill much?

I'm indifferent to all the designs but accept it as just a brand new show and take on the characters. It's not the classic characters, and it's not meant to be.

Between the Bay films and this one I don't want future creators to think the turtles don't work unless they have tons of extra crap all over them. The fact they're murated turtles that can fight and exist in a normal human world should be all the gimmick you need.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #23
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Well, I've seen the teaser, and let me just say, I ... still don't like Leonardo's design. I don't like it at all.

In fact, I think his design looks even worse in animation. I don't know how to accurately describe it, so I'll just say this:
"When it's in motion, it tends to look somewhat inconsistent and sloppy. Consequently, it has an uncanny feel to it."
That's all I can really say, at least at the moment.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:32 PM   #24
Chris
Mad Scientist

From favourite to least;

Mikey
Leo
April (not fond of her hair style or glasses but overall ok)
Raph
Don
Splinter
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

My Top 3:
Donnie
Raph
Leo

Two worst are definitely splinter and Mikey.
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Leo, Mike and Don all look fine to me. Raph is a little too big for my taste but I might get used to it as I see him in motion. Splinter is the worst though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #27
shihe
Hench Mutant

LOVE
April
Leo

Mikey
Meatsweats
Origami Ninja

GETTING USED TO...
Donatello
Raphael
Baron D.

DISLIKE
Splinter
Old 04-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #28
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

After seeing the teaser a few more times, I actually really like all of them, with Raph and Leo being my favorites.

Last edited by Xiewin; 04-01-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
ninjawolf10
Random Punk

I think Mike's design is probably the best with Leo coming second.

Raph looks too big to me in comparison to the others, and like others have said Donnie has a very square head.

Splinter looks like someone stood on him, and the top knot is awful. I'm kind of sad really, cause he's my favourite. I don't get why it's hard to make him look decent

2003 was the ultimate for me, but I didn't mind the 2012 look either. Hopefully they'll grow on me...
ninjawolf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #30
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Yeesh ...

Spoiler:

I hope that the animation will be smoothed out.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #31
Powder
So tired of this place

Are you just complaining about the buffering on your PC?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Yeesh ...

I hope that the animation will be smoothed out.
You know you want a piece of that... Like several seasons worth.

Mostly I'm just laughing at Raph in that image. It's like he got run through a Photoshop filter that just turned him into simplified shapes. Moved the intensity a little too far to the right.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #33
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Regarding Splinter's character design, it appears that someone has voiced a few complaints about it.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Why Does Rise of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Dip Into Racist Asian Stereotypes?

Posted by Brett
Nickelodeon‘s new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series, Rise of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, has come under criticism for numerous reasons: changes to the dynamic of the Turtles, the stylized look of the series, and drastic difference in the Turtles’ depictions. I have no opinion, nor really care about all of that. Beyond all of that, the thing that stood out to me about the brand new trailer is the use of the Fu Manchu/Yellow Peril stereotype in the character of Splinter.

In the first official teaser released Friday, we get a look at what we can expect from the series and a better idea of the characters. We also get a look at Splinter who, with his “slanted/slit” eyes, buck teeth, and delivery of lines, is hard to not see a racist Asian stereotype. There’s even a top knot!

This ethnic stereotype (which has no place in a kids show, let alone modern society) has its roots in “Yellow Peril”, Western imperialism, racism, and led to exclusionary laws enacted against immigrants here in the United States. In entertainment, it's common and popularized in characters such as Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan, both of which tread in stereotypical looks that still persist today. One scratches their head and wonders why the creators of this show thought it was appropriate in 2018.

While there are movements and individuals fighting for better representation of Asians in entertainment, to see a kids’ animated show perpetuate this hurtful imagery for a new generation is not only misguided - it's downright regressive and has no place on television, let alone Nickelodeon, which has had a history of excellent children’s programming.

You can watch the video below and see the problematic speech patterns at the 44 second mark and 53 second mark.

Click for the source.

Personally, I can understand what this individual was conveying, and I can empathize what this individual was venting.

Their concerns are valid. I hope that the creators take their time and consider possible unfortunate implications that they might depict within their work.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 04-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:20 PM   #34
Powder
So tired of this place

I appreciate where this Well Intended White Guy is coming from, but he's reaching, IMO.

Splinter's eyes are closed in that clip, his buck teeth are because he's a rat, & the top-knot is a staple of Samurai "fashion". He's also voiced by an Asian American (by way of Canada) who I'm assuming didn't take issue with how the character is being portrayed and/or developed the style of voice himself.

Dude's just looking for something "problematic" to whine about.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #35
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I knew people would criticize Rise Splinter for his aesthetics and such, but never did I imagine that he would qualify as racist for some people.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #36
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

But hey, it's the series that has something for almost everyone... to hate.

I mean, maybe this guy is reaching a bit much, but honestly, so is this series, so you reap what you sow, I guess.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #37
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Nickelodeon has just released a new Rise Turtles' video.

Spoiler:

On the thumbnail image, Donatello's goggles are over his eyes.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 04-04-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #38
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

April is my favorite because i like girls with glassses. And turtles are my LEAST FAVORITE!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #39
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

So, I was studying this image.

Spoiler:

Wow! Raph really does look huge, at least in comparison to/with the other Turtles'.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Manholes def should not work out too well...

Also, the shadow shorts bug me, extending out as far as they do. It's like some kind of upper thigh light deflection spell was cast on them. The use of such a spell however remains a mystery.

I'm so ninja, even my junk exists in the shadows. (Even against the laws of physics. Is that physics?) There's a quip for you, uh...Leo.