The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #81
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

At the risk of sending you on another meltdown: Did you even read the articles? It said they were apprehended by AMERICAN border patrol at AMERICAN barriers and sent back to Mexico. It also said the people coming in were coming by trucks. In fact, the whole article talks about how they come in mostly by truck, because the cartels won't let them. It also says that they're likely to be apprehended by American border patrol.

In short: it's saying that a wall wouldn't work.

I don't NEED to address your points. You do that for me. And even if you didn't, most of the time you pull them right out your ass and demand respect for them.

Also, don't call ME stupid. You're the one who isn't making sense. Learn to form a coherent thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Allen
And if the majority of these illegals came through in trucks why do they chance crossing desserts to get here?
I hope you actually READ the articles YOU POST from CNN, instead of accusing other people of aping them.

Now here's a fair warning: if you don't stop just making up stuff and acting like you won the internet, I'm deleting your posts. Everyone else in here actually makes sense, whether or not I agree with them. People arguing the finer points of the finances, legality, or efficacy of the plan. Hell, even the video where the guy mocks celebrities for building walls makes a half decent and intelligible point.

You just barge in and go, "Coming by trucks, eh? Well! Here's an article proving you right!"

I can do that, too. I can just say stuff and demand you prove me wrong. But that's not how arguments work. YOU have to support your own case. Start doing that, and things will run WAAAY more smoothly.

Last edited by Voltron; 02-04-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #82
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I'm happy that, in a thread complaining about people being too sensitive, we got a real world example of people losing their mind over. . . something?

This is why we can't have nice things.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #83
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This has been an amazing time on the 'Drome and I'm just sorry I didn't get to see this play out in real time.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #84
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I missed out on BartAllen's tantrum and being banned, what a bummer.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #85
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I'm sure they'll be a next time. . .
Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #86
Leo656
The Franchise

Thank you for modifying your Sig just for me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #87
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I had no idea people were a fan. I think I took that from Lil G almost a decade ago.

I miss the old days when I'd come to the Drome and could see a 10 year old spitting fire about how hard he goes on the playground.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #88
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I had no idea people were a fan. I think I took that from Lil G almost a decade ago.

I miss the old days when I'd come to the Drome and could see a 10 year old spitting fire about how hard he goes on the playground.
Monkey business at the monkey bars, after recess. Be there.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #89
Leo656
The Franchise

Talk about deranged:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ocasio-co...205008602.html

It takes a deranged person indeed to talk about "We are a nation of laws" and "Let's just let all the illegal immigrants in unimpeded" within the same breath. WOW. I've seen her speak enough to know for a fact that she just rambles on without thinking, but this is a good one, even for her.

Including requisite heart-tugging pleas for sympathy:
"Children dying in detention centers should not be a partisan concern. It should be a universal concern for every American in the United States.

Easily flipped by a rational-thinking person into:
"One or two children dying in detention centers because their parents conceived and birthed them without any actual plans for raising them, apart from using them as political tools, should not be ANYONE'S concern. People who are incapable of raising children simply shouldn't have them in the first place."

If this chick didn't have an awesome rack, nobody would give her the time of day. As it is, she's probably gonna be the next President.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 AM   #90
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

But that's not what she's saying.

Nobody but loons are demanding open borders and a free-for-all immigration policy.

This is demanding a return to due process for asylum seekers and an end to family separation policy.

It used to be, if people came to the US as a refugee, they would be set aside in refugee centers and have to wait for their case to be reviewed by a judge. If it was decided that they were not, in fact, in need of asylum, they would be sent packing. This was, by all accounts, a notably strict process with very few people actually making it in to the US this way. Even if they did, I don't think they were given citizenship right out the gate. They were just allowed to seek citizenship with the rest of the legal immigrants.

The other half of the article deals with the 2,000+ children the Trump administration has separated from their parents and put in detention centers. The parents were then deported, but the children remained. When asked to return the children to their parents, the administration said it would be difficult or impossible to do so. Many still remain here.

The argument people are putting forth is that the parents never should've come, and that losing their children is just the consequence. But the families came seeking asylum, which in the past granted some protection. This kind of treatment was totally unexpected. And even if it was, the separation of children without due process is just a REALLY cruel deterrent.

TL;DR- Nobody, GOP or Dem, wants open borders. Some people want to stop kidnapping and imprisoning children.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #91
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

When caravans 10,000 strong approach the border and either sneak into soft (or nonexistent) spots in it or openly charge it... this is always going to be a thing. Because what is the alternative? We build giant hotels for them at the border, just in case? Staffed 24/7 by thousands of housekeepers and hotel staff, just in case, adding untold billions to the already yearly 150 billion illegal immigration costs us? That's insanity. Our border patrol is doing the best they can under insane circumstances.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 AM   #92
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Which, again, isn't the case. We let in 30,000 a year. And most of them aren't from South America.

It's not like they're staying at the 4 seasons. They live in concrete buildings with the bare minimum.

And even if we DID build giant hotels on the border staffed with workers to tend to their needs, how would that be any more expensive than a 2,000 mile wall which also needs to be staffed.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #93
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
The other half of the article deals with the 2,000+ children the Trump administration has separated from their parents and put in detention centers. The parents were then deported, but the children remained. When asked to return the children to their parents, the administration said it would be difficult or impossible to do so. Many still remain here.

The argument people are putting forth is that the parents never should've come, and that losing their children is just the consequence. But the families came seeking asylum, which in the past granted some protection. This kind of treatment was totally unexpected. And even if it was, the separation of children without due process is just a REALLY cruel deterrent.
Additionally, people complain that illegals cost us money, okay sure, but somehow these kids they presumably don't want in the country (I mean, what with being resistant to DACA/Dreamers as it is), yet aren't putting them back with their families, are ignored as also costing us? I mean who is feeding them other than tax payers? It's a tax dollar leak they could correct and yet seem indifferent to doing so.

Plus, with all the fear mongering that illegals want to hurt us, you can't do this to those kids without causing permanent psychological damage. The perspective almost always seems to be from the angle of this being against the parents, it being their fault of losing their kids for doing this and thus this is their punishment, as if it has no impact on the kids. Do people really have such a hard time seeing children as human beings? Because honestly, it's probably much worse from that angle, because if they mess those kids up badly enough with this, then you risk creating messed up future adults and it almost becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. Yes, lets make sure to mess some of them up so that they do want to hurt people someday... Great plan.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Which, again, isn't the case. We let in 30,000 a year. And most of them aren't from South America.
We "let in" 30,000 a year. This doesn't account for the ones that barge in, or the ones that it is impossible to have data for because they successfully sneak in undetected.

Quote:
And even if we DID build giant hotels on the border staffed with workers to tend to their needs, how would that be any more expensive than a 2,000 mile wall which also needs to be staffed.
That's dumb. Obviously a 5 billion dollar wall as a one time thing (barring whatever repairs need to be made from time to time) is going to be less money than a daily, recurring fee of untold millions to staff and keep these giant hotels open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
(I mean, what with being resistant to DACA/Dreamers as it is)
You realize those are two very different things.

Quote:
Plus, with all the fear mongering that illegals want to hurt us, you can't do this to those kids without causing permanent psychological damage.
And I'm positive we don't, intentionally. We don't have resources on hand 24/7 to play Sherlocke Holmes and find people's moms and dads for thousands of people rushing the border. I have no idea why that is even on us. The overwhelming mass majority of these kids are coming unaccompanied.

I have a better idea: why don't they apply for a green card legally, from the comfort of their home? 0% chance of family separation.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #95
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's dumb. Obviously a 5 billion dollar wall as a one time thing (barring whatever repairs need to be made from time to time) is going to be less money than a daily, recurring fee of untold millions to staff and keep these giant hotels open.
lol the wall will cost more then $5b to be built
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #96
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
lol the wall will cost more then $5b to be built
What, are you a wall building expert? In any case, let's even assume there's some overage. It's still going to be less than the 150 billion spent on illegal immigration every year... and we only have to do it once.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #97
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
What, are you a wall building expert? In any case, let's even assume there's some overage. It's still going to be less than the 150 billion spent on illegal immigration every year... and we only have to do it once.
In Candy's defense, you don't have to be a wall expert to know it will be over budget.

When has the government ever been under budget for anything?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #98
Vegita-San
Emperor

agreed....and since when has the government spent $5billion wisley anyway? might as well go to a campaign promise. it's just going to get wasted elsewhere

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #99
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
It's been estimated that the wall will be between $20b to $25b, DHS estimated it to be $21b

And build a wall over this:

Suuuuuuuure, that'll be "measly" $5b.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #100
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yup. Everyone seems to assume it's all just flat desert, but it's not. Much of New Mexico and Arizona (and the Texas westernmost border) are very mountainous and change in elevation drastically. Then there is the Rio Grande, which in some places is on our side of the border, and in others, the Mexico side, or in many places, IS the border. Where do you build the wall there? You really can't. This wall would be a logistics nightmare if we tried to actually build it. Billions would be spent only to end up with something ineffective and likely unstable or poorly placed. Much of that land erodes easily during heavy rains, meaning that we'd have to be CONSTANTLY rebuilding entire sections due to the very land crumbling away under it! You just can't throw a big concrete or steel barrier up in mountainous desert or heavy brushland, and expect it to not degrade quickly due to natural conditions. Not only that, but portions of the land it would cross are also seismically active. That just spells failure. The ones calling most loudly for it are the ones with the least amount of foresight and understanding of what it will entail.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
let's get deranged, sjw syndrome