The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #141
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Not that this is a spoiler, but an Easter egg nobody else caught; Did anyone notice among the objects on the rock of eternity, a strange-looking rod with an ibis on the top? That is the Ibis-stick, the magic rod of the wizard Ibis the Invincible. He was a hero in the golden age Fawcett comics, who had a strip that ran in Captain marvel original series. Surprised nobody else caught that.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #142
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Uh huh. Sure. Just like the Rock had nothing to do with his character spinning off into a standalone Fast and Furious 11. Or 10. Or whatever number they're on now, I honestly cannot remember.
The truth is probably a mix of A and B.

Rock is definitely "A Star", and thus commands a star's role and payday, but at the same time, having read all the Spoilers (because I do that), this movie already sounds very densely packed, but not in a bad way. But the Shazam/Captain Marvel lore is already very large, there's a lot to establish right out of the gate, and it sounds like the movie was very faithful to most of it. Beyond that, Black Adam wasn't the first or even necessarily the "main" Captain Marvel villain; Sivana and Mr. Mind should logically each have their "turn" before Black Adam gets his. Having him in this movie would have been Too Much, for sure. And it wouldn't do right to bench Sivana given that he's technically more of the "main villain" for the series.

It makes absolute perfect sense for Black Adam to have his own movie first, because once more, there's a lot of real estate to cover. Sometimes he isn't even technically a "Shazam Villain"; he goes long stretches of time where he operates as an independent character, doing his own thing, and the two characters often go long periods where they hardly interact. He's far more than just a palette-swap of Captain Marvel, so I'm glad that the character is going to get the necessary room to breathe. Allegedly they're also going to use the movie to introduce Hawkman. Neat!

My concern is simply one of tone. By all accounts, "Shazam!" is a straight-up comedy. Black Adam is a character who habitually tears people in half for annoying him. If anything, his film should be played super-straight and dark, almost horror at certain points. Now, if they do that, how they plan to reconcile that movie and this one for the inevitable Vs. movie, I have no idea. Not saying they CAN'T do it, but it will be a challenge. And if they make "Black Adam" a comedy I may need to light someone on fire.

Anyway, yeah, I think the way they're handling it is ultimately for the best. I do not like The Rock but Black Adam is the role he was born to play, so I'm actually quite looking forward to that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #143
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

In my opinion, WB/New Line made one big mistake with this movie; releasing it in the gap between Captain Marvel/endgame. It's box office is being hurt by being in the shadow of these two giants, and Shazam should have come out later in the year. Marvel is taking a HUGE break after Far from home, why not put this movie around the holiday season? It has christmas theming in the movie anyway!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 04-09-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #144
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
In my opinion, WB/New Line made one big mistake with this movie; releasing it in the gap between Captain Marvel/endgame. It's box office is being hurt by being in the shadow of these two giants, and Shazam should have come out later in the year. Mrvek\l is taking a HUGE break after Far from home, why not put this movie around the holiday season? It has christmas theming in the movie anyway!
pfft. It's still got 2 weekends left before Endgame drops. That's an eternity and make or break time for movies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #146
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
78% drop, but a sequel is being fast-tracked

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#a1c934069bad
Of course there's a 78% drop from a Sunday to a Monday. The test is what the drop will be after this next weekend. It's tracking to do just a bit less than Aquaman on half of the budget, so I don't see any need to worry.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #147
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I just saw it. I enjoyed it. DC is making a comeback and getting rid of Micheal Bay 2.0 aka Snyder was a good start. Also Zach Levi is much more likeable than Captain Sourpuss
Old 04-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #148
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Just saw it. While he's far from my favorite DC hero, and I honestly don't know much about him, I enjoyed this movie. Felt a little more like a "real" superhero would, with his (and everyone else's) reactions to the various situations and his new powers, as opposed to trying to be "gritty-real" or overly epic. I like when the movie is grounded but still manages to FEEL like the heroes "fit" into the world, and this did that nicely. Like, I can easily see most heroes taking selfies or signing things for fans, maybe even showing off a little. Maybe not Batman or other "dark" heroes, but Supes probably would. I liked how he handled the villain in the end, and wasn't ridiculously OP or whatever in the final battle, like some superhero movies have been.

Overall, what I liked best was that he still had flaws, and even learned something. Also, it's refreshing to see that DC can poke a little fun at their own universe, with various references to other movies/heroes. One of the funniest Easter eggs imo was the kid playing with the action figures- those who have seen it know which ones!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #149
Leo656
The Franchise

Saw it in 3D on Saturday.

As a reasonably big fan of the character (although most of the material I own is post-1980s), I came away pretty impressed. I'm glad I read the Spoilers (particularly about the Third Act) because ALL the reviews I read were only concerned with talking about the comedy stuff, but I knew I needed to see certain things happen on the Big Screen and I wasn't disappointed.

I would've probably dialed the goofy stuff down about 10% and raised the stakes a little bit - the Seven Deadly Sins are typically, like, an Apocalyptic Event and yet their presence really never threatened to escalate beyond Something To Punch - but it gets a lot more Right than Wrong, which was a relief. They definitely completely threw Billy/Cap's personality out the window and started from scratch, but it worked in service to the story they were trying to tell and worked it into a character arc, so it's forgivable. If they JUST made him goofy for goofy's sake, that would be pretty bad, but without spoiling anything, since the movie makes it a point to illustrate at one point how irresponsible and juvenile he's behaving, it works as character development. The whole Spider-Man "Power and Responsibility" thing generally isn't part of the story, but for the sake of a movie that they have to sell to people who aren't familiar with the material, it was fine.

I was frankly a bit shocked at how much was going on in this one. Not just plot-wise, although it definitely is packed - leaving Black Adam out and waiting for the sequel was DEFINITELY a good choice - but also how different it was from expectations. For a movie that critics have been proclaiming as "family-friendly fun", there's a surprising amount of violence and cursing. None of which bothers ME, but I definitely wasn't expecting some of it in THIS movie.

On the whole, it was a lot more balanced than some people made it out to be, and I'm glad I read the Spoilers because otherwise I might have waited for the blu-ray. I'd rank it pretty high on my list of comic book movies in general. Very faithful to the source material (in MOST respects), lots of Easter eggs for those who would catch them, and they packed in a ton of the character's "lore". It's pretty jammed but there's still plenty to work with for sequels.

If I have any "complaint" (aside from the Fake Shemp they used for the "You-Know-Who" cameo just before the credits), it's that the music was good but merely serviceable. It's not bad at all but there's nothing that would really jump out at you, like no iconic or recognizable "Shazam" equivalent of the classic Superman theme, but maybe they'll get to that.

Good stuff, much better than I expected. Glad I didn't wait on it. There were only a handful of people in the theater, though. Hopefully it's doing well enough.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #150
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Last weekend, my friend and I saw the movie. I thought it had a great blend of humor and fun with just a few dark moments as well. Levi was perfection as the lead and Mark Strong was a solid villain. Asher Angel was fine, but I do think that Jack Dylan Grazer did outshine him. Billy's foster siblings and parents were likable. The climatic battle was epic.

Spoiler:
Seeing Billy's mom abandon him when he was so young was a tough scene.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #151
Leo656
The Franchise

I wonder if in the sequel we'll see Billy get a job as a DJ/newscaster at Whiz Radio. Or maybe he'll have a podcast. I'unno, somethin'.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 AM   #152
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If I have any "complaint" (aside from the Fake Shemp they used for the "You-Know-Who" cameo just before the credits), it's that the music was good but merely serviceable. It's not bad at all but there's nothing that would really jump out at you, like no iconic or recognizable
Agreed. That was my only complaint coming out of it. This character/comic really lends itself well to getting a bold, iconic classical theme song to rev the engines... there was nothing here. The whole music score just seemed to busy itself with poking fun at other iconic superheroey themes (kind of doing... "sarcastic" superhero music the whole way through) so much that it never actually remembered to make one for itself. At least, anything memorable.

So yeah, saw the movie. Wow. That was a really well done movie. Solid script, nice kid actors, and everything was executed flawlessly. 90% of the jokes landed perfectly. Yeah, it's like "Big" meets the Raimi Spider-Mans.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #153
Leo656
The Franchise

That whole third act was a shocker. It's like someone heard me say, "Y'know what they're DEFINITELY not gonna do right outta the gate...? And then they went ahead and threw it all in there.

Spoiler:
Like I would've settled for Mary Marvel, I never in a million years expected that they'd throw the entire Marvel Family in for the very first movie.
I kinda wasn't sure they'd ever go there at all. Neat surprise.

As I've said, once I read the spoilers, I was like, "Holy sh*t, this I gotta see."

Old 12-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #155
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I am happy it is getting a sequel especially since it didn't do as well as the other recent DC movies.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #156
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Set for April, 2022.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/warners-...or-april-2022/

Sheesh. So much for the hubbub about WB wanting to jump right into 2 because the kids are aging.

It's like every time a sequel is announced for a WB/DC movie, you think in your head, "OK, that should take them a year and a half, two years to see that," and then they throw an extra couple of years on top of that number.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #157
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Details about the sequel have been announced with the cast and title.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/shazam-...me-1203020790/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuckam!, edgelordsliketags, sjwazam!