The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #41
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The same. If things are to ever invoke sexual intrigue it's a bit too weird to imagine a former human having sex with something that, like, used to be a red eared slider in a lake somewhere.
I mean... interspecies romance has existed in pretty much every incarnation of TMNT. And I'm not just talking about Raph and his furry fetish. Even the more kid-oriented 2012 cartoon had Donnie and April.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #42
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I like Venus as a character better than Jennika, and would hope that any potential fifth female turtles start life as a turtle and not a human, same as the guys.
Going forward, all of the turtles will be human to begin with.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
Even the more kid-oriented 2012 cartoon had Donnie and April.
And it was freaking weird there, too.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #44
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Going forward, all of the turtles will be human to begin with.
Not sure if YOU'RE serious or not, but yeah, somebody's eventually going to do this.

And it will be awful.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wasn't there some speculation Rise of the TMNT was going to do that? I haven't kept up with the show, did they show the Turtles origins yet in that series?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #46
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
And it was freaking weird there, too.
Agreed. Especially because of the whole borderline stalker angle.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #47
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
But suddenly expose her to mutagen and everybody loses their mind like it's some groundbreaking twist. There's nothing about Jennika up to this point that I find truly distinguishes her as a character. Alopex and Angel/Nobody had far more development in the IDW universe.
Interesting...I had no idea she was in the comic that long. So essentially her character was sort of just there as part of the stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I mean, Lord Dregg was in the old series and didn't get used again until almost 21 years later. Additionally, while he's existed since 2011, Hob wasn't really an interesting character until a couple years down the line.
Isn't it normally a couple of iterations before a character is defined properly to the point of making an impact?

Quote:
Don't be so sure. Especially when TPTB are probably going, "I don't get it... we gave fans Beebop and Rocksteady and Krang in the last one and it still failed!! What can we possibly try differently this time??"
It's not that type of thinking at the moment. It's more how can we incorporate females into a TMNT film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I was thinking about what exactly sets Jennika apart from the main turtles aside from the superficial details, and all I can really think of is that she priotises orders and loyalty over ethics and morals.
One of adding a character to help create character conflict is that unless it feels organic there is the problem that it could come across as contrived. No one likes contrived drama. Jennika already appears to have a backstory, the problem is whether it feels artificial or blends in so that in the case of the latter you can see her appear in the opening credits and not bat an eyelid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Whenever I think of a 5th Turtle in general I think of Poochy from the Simpsons.
So if it all fails she'll go back to her home planet?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #48
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

if she is I am cool with it. I don't see why she would leave the comic. No other new mutants like Hob have yet. We will see if it translates into other mediums outside the IDW universe.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #49
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Having a fifth turtle and the character being female adds a fresh element. I've seen people discuss it in parts of the internet where TMNT are rarely discussed so it's accomplishing what it set out to do: attract more eyes onto IDW TMNT.

Going forward I think that someday we will eventually see an incarnation of the turtles where one of them is female form the start. Donnie is a good candidate, since he is consistently the least-favored turtle in most iterations it makes him the top candidate to have a major change like that to try to raise the character's appeal. Not saying it should happen, just that I can see it. Because five turtles, while they can make it work especially in the comics, is a lot of characters to juggle when the cast of characters is already pretty big as it is.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #50
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Having a fifth turtle and the character being female adds a fresh element. I've seen people discuss it in parts of the internet where TMNT are rarely discussed so it's accomplishing what it set out to do: attract more eyes onto IDW TMNT.

Going forward I think that someday we will eventually see an incarnation of the turtles where one of them is female form the start. Donnie is a good candidate, since he is consistently the least-favored turtle in most iterations it makes him the top candidate to have a major change like that to try to raise the character's appeal. Not saying it should happen, just that I can see it. Because five turtles, while they can make it work especially in the comics, is a lot of characters to juggle when the cast of characters is already pretty big as it is.
The Justice League cartoon had more main characters and worked just fine. I don't think too many characters in the main cast would be an issue.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #51
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Going forward I think that someday we will eventually see an incarnation of the turtles where one of them is female form the start. Donnie is a good candidate, since he is consistently the least-favored turtle in most iterations it makes him the top candidate to have a major change like that to try to raise the character's appeal.
Yeah no doubt they'll try and gender swap one of the Turtles at some point. I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #52
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Yeah no doubt they'll try and gender swap one of the Turtles at some point. I wouldn't put it past them.
That would constitute taking things a bit too far, I think. Some folks want representation and diversity? Fine. Create new characters, like Jennika and whoever else. Don't mess with the established classics. And especially, especially don't try the "Come on, it's just a fictional character, why do you care so much?" angle like it's a an automatic KO in the discussion, 'cause that baby cuts both ways.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #53
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:

I don’t really think that will happen as long as female turtles can be invented.

I am cool with Jennika, especially because she doesn’t have boobs. I do worry that she will take away character development from our main cast. I do like the idea of a Angsty TMNT being the only four of their kind and being all male and unable to continue on their legacy, but the IDW comics are less angsty than Steve Murphy so it works in this case. Plus I think she shares too much DNA with the boys to be a romantic interest?
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #54
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
That would constitute taking things a bit too far, I think. Some folks want representation and diversity? Fine. Create new characters, like Jennika and whoever else. Don't mess with the established classics. And especially, especially don't try the "Come on, it's just a fictional character, why do you care so much?" angle like it's a an automatic KO in the discussion, 'cause that baby cuts both ways.
I have learned over the years nothing is sacred. They will find a way to do it.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #55
Chet
Thug

No idea, but I'm so glad we got a good visual design this time. No stupid boobs and stuff like Venus de Milo. Reptiles don't have milk glands.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #56
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
No idea, but I'm so glad we got a good visual design this time. No stupid boobs and stuff like Venus de Milo. Reptiles don't have milk glands.
You're just not looking hard enough.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #57
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

My honest hottake answer is no Jennika won't be in TMNT forever. Every version of tmnt has characters that don't crossover unless they are super popular with the fanbase. Or the head writer of whatever version liked that character so they use them in their version. And sorry I think i'm incredibly late to this conversation. >.>

Like most fans of TMNT know who Irma is but nobody expects to see Irma in every iteration of TMNT.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #58
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
I mean... interspecies romance has existed in pretty much every incarnation of TMNT. And I'm not just talking about Raph and his furry fetish. Even the more kid-oriented 2012 cartoon had Donnie and April.
And what makes Bojack Horseman, Doctor Who's Vastra and Jenny, Star Wars, Armitage III etc. no different in these kinds of relationships?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #59
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
And what makes Bojack Horseman, Doctor Who's Vastra and Jenny, Star Wars, Armitage III etc. no different in these kinds of relationships?
It was really nice while you were gone. Do you mind going away again?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #60
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You won't ever see a female turtle in cartoons/movies.
I would bet heavily against this. We will at least see her in a cartoon before we die. Likely with nostrils.

Edit: Feels like I'm tempting fate with this post. Could be after I die, that'd be fine.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-19-2020 at 11:04 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote