The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #81
ZariusTwo
Overlord

First episode available on Youtube

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #82
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
First episode available on Youtube

I hate the animation style and there's way too much MCU influence for my liking, but I can see there's some positive things about this show after all.
I didn't expect to ever see Max Modell in a Spidey cartoon, so it was a pleasant surprise when he showed up. The humor isn't very good but at least it isn't as bad as Ultimate's. It's also nice seeing Spidey think more like a scientist, even if they overdid it a little.
I'll watch it for awhile and if it doesn't improve any I'll drop it.

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #83
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

Similarly to Ultimate Spider-Man, I have mixed opinions on Marvel's Spider-Man. Right now, these are my general impressions; I won't be able to say if I like or dislike it as anything can change.

I still cannot stand the animation; of all the Marvel Animated Shows, this is easily the worst looking to me. It looks too pale and almost incomplete with the textures. The striking parts being the science lab and the sky. Personally, it hurts my eyes a bit; at least with Spectacular Spider-Man, the art choice allowed for better fight sequences. What's this show's excuse?

In terms of the voice acting... I'm very mixed on it. On one hand, there's Robbie Daymond as a younger Peter Parker, which is okay. He certainly has some range as excitable and does come across as intelligent. However, it's hard to fully judge him with one episode compared to the previous voice actors. I'll give him a little more time before saying how I'd rank him.

On the other hand, however, there's Alastair Duncan as Vulture... ugh, this feels like a miscast right now. Duncan does sound slimy in the role, which I like out of the Vulture. Outside it, that scream. Right now, he's one of the worst voice actors for Vulture.

Currently, I can't judge any of the other voice actors. The likes of Harry Osborn and Liz Allen don't have many lines and didn't leave much of an impression just yet.

As for miscellaneous content, I do have to applaud Peter acting like a scientist in this series. It does go overboard slightly; I'm not sure if it's Daymond's delivery or the scripting. Not too bad though.

Humor wise... it feels lackluster, personally. The first scene is a bit over the top with handling. Luckily, the fourth wall breaking, a common occurrence in Ultimate Spider-Man, is not here. Lastly, the fights rely on puns that can be a bit grating. Otherwise, the humor just feels dry and lacking to me.

Finally, as much as I hate the MCU usage, specifically the current design of Spider-Man and Vulture on display, I do like older and newer content being used. Something I feel Ultimate Spider-Man deserves a bit of credit for is exposing younger audiences to other characters not seen before, such as Miles Morales, Anti-Venom, even the return of Morbius. I will agree though that the execution in Ultimate was more miss than hit, which made them lackluster. Children may not be able to afford comics or have no interest, but the shows can help with introducing ideas to give them wider exposure to a long-running franchise like Spider-Man. Therefore, seeing the return of the Smythes and introducing Max Modell is welcomed by me.

Overall, it's only the first half of a two-parter, so it's difficult for me to fully judge. There are elements I like, but elements I don't like. Guess we'll have to see how this series progresses. While stylistically the worst of the Marvel Animation shows, I have to admit it has some good; it's better than Agents of S.M.A.S.H. and Avengers Assemble personally, but I'm unsure if it's better per say than Ultimate yet (I haven't watched the Guardians cartoon).
"It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. Even when the battle's over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again." -Phoenix Wright

Last edited by GoldMutant; 08-19-2017 at 08:57 AM.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #84
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I didn't expect to ever see Max Modell in a Spidey cartoon
Dan Slott is the show's creative consultant. Clash from his run is also showing up in this series.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #85
Autbot_Benz
I Am The Doctor

So Vulture now has sonic scream ability from his suit that's new

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #86
PApagreg
Stone Warrior

Why do modern Marvel shows have bad animation and crap backgrounds, you think being owned by Disney would allow them to make their shows look somewhat aesthetically pleasing. Its sad when a show about ducks going on adventures and a girl with a magical wand has better action scenes than a superhero show.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #87
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Why do modern Marvel shows have bad animation and crap backgrounds, you think being owned by Disney would allow them to make their shows look somewhat aesthetically pleasing. Its sad when a show about ducks going on adventures and a girl with a magical wand has better action scenes than a superhero show.
Seems like these shows are just more ways to promote their cinematic universe and sell more merchandise. I could see why they'd want to spend as little money as possible on these things. It's a horrible thing to do to fans, but from a business perspective it's pretty savvy.

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #88
CyberCubed
Overlord

Haven't watched the ep yet, but I find it weird we get so many Spiderman cartoons one after the other and they don't put much effort into them. It's because they know its Spiderman and young kids will watch it anyway because they don't know any better, but it's still disappointing.

This is what...the 8th or 9th Spiderman cartoon since the 60's one? Jesus.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #89
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Haven't watched the ep yet, but I find it weird we get so many Spiderman cartoons one after the other and they don't put much effort into them. It's because they know its Spiderman and young kids will watch it anyway because they don't know any better, but it's still disappointing.

This is what...the 8th or 9th Spiderman cartoon since the 60's one? Jesus.
Considering he's been around since the 60s, it's not surprising. Spider-Man is arguably the most profitable Marvel superhero (Unless Wolverine or the MCU have proven otherwise).

In terms of cartoons, there's nine: the 60s series, Amazing Friends, the 80s cartoon itself, TAS, Unlimited, The New Animated Series, Spectacular, Ultimate, and now this. If you add live-action, that's twelve: the NBC series with Nick Hammond, the Japanese Spider-Man, and an educational series with live-action and animation called Spidey Super Stories. That's not counting his appearances in other Marvel shows, like Agents of S.M.A.S.H. and Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

As you can tell Cube, Spider-Man's been around for a long time, even before you were "old."
"It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. Even when the battle's over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again." -Phoenix Wright
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #90
Papenbrook
Mad Scientist

So far, this show doesn't make me interested in it.

It might get better later, however.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peter cucker, spider-cuck