The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2016, 03:26 AM   #281
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychturtle View Post
Ok guys, I'm about to get stupid and take a plunge I to buying the original Eastman and Laird comics. I'm going to spend a crap ton of 1st and 2nd printing issues from 1984. That being said is there a visual guide of the covers that can help me navigate the issues? I know how the early issues look but wanted something to refer to visually.
Not sure one exists. Huh, just refer to Rich's blog and his collection I'd say!

Either way, for issue #1 and #2, the only way to be absolutely certain is looking on the inside of the cover for "second printing", as the covers for the first and second printing of both issues is identical.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #282
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Ok guys, I'm about to get stupid and take a plunge into buying the original Eastman and Laird comics. I'm going to spend a crap ton of 1st and 2nd printing issues from 1984. That being said is there a visual guide of the covers that can help me navigate the issues? I know how the early issues look but wanted something to refer to visually.

Any suggestions?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Not sure one exists. Huh, just refer to Rich's blog and his collection I'd say!

Either way, for issue #1 and #2, the only way to be absolutely certain is looking on the inside of the cover for "second printing", as the covers for the first and second printing of both issues is identical.
Well, there isn't a single "go to" guide that will quickly tell you differences between printings for all the issues. Like @Mayhem says, the printing designation can be helpful and, for most issues, that will help greatly.

However, for TMNT #1, be extremely cautious. The printing designation should never be your only method of authentication because people used to erase or bleach out the "Third Printing" designation on third prints and try to pass them off as first printings. Also, first printings were the only ones to have the ad on the inside back cover for "Gobbledygook."

With that said, the following links will be extremely informative for you.

Collector's Society (Ninja Turtles - Differences Between Printings)

Rare Comics - TMNT #1

Check against authenticated / known copies of TMNT #1 1st printing - this is mine. You can also use my site to look at every cover of every TMNT comic and compare against any copies you might find. I even have some counterfeits that can help you.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #283
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

We need to be friends, rich.

So should I cater towards graded issue #1's? I'd prefer it as that seems to be only way to get it authentic without mods

EDIT: ok wow. That is terrifying. So you really can't depend on cgc for authenticity? Geez ok so eBay is full of counterfeits it seems. Would a comic merchant know better and help facilitate an authentic sale?

Last edited by psychturtle; 02-22-2016 at 09:19 AM.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #284
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
We need to be friends, rich.

So should I cater towards graded issue #1's? I'd prefer it as that seems to be only way to get it authentic without mods

EDIT: ok wow. That is terrifying. So you really can't depend on cgc for authenticity? Geez ok so eBay is full of counterfeits it seems. Would a comic merchant know better and help facilitate an authentic sale?
No problem...friended.

The CGC issues with the TMNT #1 "1st printings" should scare you. I personally wouldn't go with CGC graded on TMNT #1's unless you really know what you're looking for and positive you can spot a fake from the outside only (and I'd not even want to pay that kind of money without seeing the inside). There are too many "internal" keys/signs to a TMNT #1 1st printing being authentic...the Gobbledygood ad, the missing printing designation, the address at the bottom. Authenticating a TMNT #1 in my opinion must match every single known indicator (both inside and out) before it is authentic. I don't know how some of these fakes got authenticated but I'd sure love to see the interiors of them.

My recommendation for purchasing raw would be to get high-res scans and pics of everything about the book...especially front and back covers (both outside and interior) along with a few interior pages. If you can see the book in person, awesome. Then, let some TMNT collectors take a look...start your own thread (follow the posting rules! ), post the pictures there, allow others to provide you feedback. Get lots of eyes on it. This is a very helpful forum...lots of good collectors / TMNT comic experts here.

And BTW, if you find a fake #1, I want to buy it. Seriously...I want one, especially one that was a fully reproduced forgery (and not just with the 2nd or 3rd printing designation erased).

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #285
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

Ok so here's the list I've understood so far:
  • Gobbledygood ad in back of issue
  • the red ink on the second "T" in title
  • more grayish hue on pages for 3rd printing

What are the other checks that you can think of? What about the date? I know 3rd ptng is february 1985.

I'll pay a lil for consultation if that helps lol
Old 02-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #286
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Yeah, that's pretty much it...

First print - no mention of printing on inside cover, NH address at bottom of inside cover, Gobbledygook advert at back.

Second print - "Second printing / June 1984" on inside cover, NH address at bottom of inside cover, iron-on transfer ad at back.

Third print - Extra blood on the "T" of "Turtles" on the cover, "Third printing / February 1985" on inside cover, CT address at bottom of inside cover, iron-on transfer ad at back.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #287
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much it...

First print - no mention of printing on inside cover, NH address at bottom of inside cover, Gobbledygook advert at back.

Second print - "Second printing / June 1984" on inside cover, NH address at bottom of inside cover, iron-on transfer ad at back.

Third print - Extra blood on the "T" of "Turtles" on the cover, "Third printing / February 1985" on inside cover, CT address at bottom of inside cover, iron-on transfer ad at back.
Awesome! It'll take me a while but I'm going to find one of each (1st, 2nd, 3rd print). I'll post pics here to see what you guys think once I get them.

Any probs with issues 2-4?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #288
Mayhem
Foot Elite

#3 and #4 are pretty obvious, only the first prints are oversize, the second prints are standard comic size.

#2, same as #1, the "second printing" on the inside cover. Oh, and having checked, the inside cover of the first print has two pin-ups, and the second print only has one (the other is replaced by an ad for the miniatures). But those are the only two differences.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #289
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

Anyone grab that new idw TMNT "greatest hits" comic? Someone on eBay said it was an ultimate checklist. Anyone have this to confirm?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #290
Shedder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Anyone grab that new idw TMNT "greatest hits" comic? Someone on eBay said it was an ultimate checklist. Anyone have this to confirm?
There was infact a reading guide in there. It was the same one that was posted on here at one point. Ill look to see if I can find a link.
There was also a reading guide for transformers.

Edit: this is the guide it provided. its on IDW's site
http://www.idwpublishing.com/teenage...ide-fall-2015/
Shedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #291
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

Found a nice NM #2 first printing 1984 issue. Super pumped. Looks great! I'll post pics soon
Old 03-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #292
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

I got these today for $80.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160303_182802313.jpg (96.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160303_182817155.jpg (96.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #293
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

This may already be in the thread somewhere but does anyone have any leads or any idea on where I may be able to get my hands on a copy of issue #10 from volume 2?

I know there were issues with its original release and that's led to its rarity now but I'm still holding out hope for it.

I've looked online and in every comic shop within 50 miles of my house but have been completely unlucky. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #294
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Also, I keep seeing things about there being faked 1st printings of the Raphael micro series one shot issue. Anyone know if these statements are true or not?

And just for safety sake, are there any indicators to authenticate a 1st printing Raph issue?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #295
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

In this age, it's really hard to find authentic comics graded highly. You can tell the aged ones from new fake ones but I'm honestly staying away from 9.4 and up grades due to the fakes.

Im sure evilBay has the #10 listed at times. I'd just keep checking there. I honestly haven't obtained many volume 2 comics yet but I'm working on the early issues first
Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #296
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:
In this age, it's really hard to find authentic comics graded highly. You can tell the aged ones from new fake ones but I'm honestly staying away from 9.4 and up grades due to the fakes.

Im sure evilBay has the #10 listed at times. I'd just keep checking there. I honestly haven't obtained many volume 2 comics yet but I'm working on the early issues first
Yeah, the #10 is the only one I've not seen on ebay and it's the only one that's sold out on Mirage's website. It's irritating cause it's the last one I need to finish my volume 1 and 2 collection.

And the Raph isn't graded so that's why I was throwing it out there. It's definitely an older one cause it's got some wear but not much. Plus, it's oversized like the first 4 issues. I'd like to get all my comics graded eventually so I'm just trying to figure it out now.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #297
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Volume Four
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 (online only)
#32 was printed and posted on Laird's blog in May, 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Collected Books
  • Image TMNT Collected Book
  • Bodycount Collected Book (Image,Heavy Metal Softcover/Hardcover)
Where can I purchase these, if at all? Has Image Volume 3 been officially collected anywhere?

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #298
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Where can I purchase these, if at all? Has Image Volume 3 been officially collected anywhere?
The aftermarket, as all those are out of print.

Here's the Image edition of Bodycount on Amazon marketplace. Not too pricey. I'd recommend it over the Heavy Metal edition, as that one had an error where a page was missing and another page was repeated.

As for the Image TMNT trade (collects issues #1-5), it is very hard to find and tends to go for higher prices. It also has a bonus page not in the single issues, fyi.

IDW has said for a while they plan to get to the Image series, but I don't think they've laid out any concrete plans yet.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #299
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
The aftermarket, as all those are out of print.

Here's the Image edition of Bodycount on Amazon marketplace. Not too pricey. I'd recommend it over the Heavy Metal edition, as that one had an error where a page was missing and another page was repeated.

As for the Image TMNT trade (collects issues #1-5), it is very hard to find and tends to go for higher prices. It also has a bonus page not in the single issues, fyi.

IDW has said for a while they plan to get to the Image series, but I don't think they've laid out any concrete plans yet.
Out of print, huh? That's what I was afraid of. It's nice to have Bodycount though, thanks.

Did some digging on the forums and found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I imagine it won't be that long for Image to be collected by IDW. Maybe in another 2 years from now, if you're willing to wait?
That was in 2012. So nope, definitely no concrete plans yet. Maybe once they've finished publishing Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2?

EDIT: Does jumping from Vol. 2 to Vol. 4 feel at all natural? Seeing how Vol. 3 is considered non-canon by Laird.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42

Last edited by THGhost; 04-12-2016 at 04:06 PM.
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #300
Powder
So tired of this place

None of volumes 2 through 4 have any real connection to each other despite their various states of canon (at least in the sense that you need to read one to get the other). You can move on without any narrative issues, though you'll be missing out on some excellent material.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote