The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #61
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
What exactly do you take issue with from the article?

I checked out of the BvS thread before you and Leo burned it down, so I don't remember any of your criticisms.

Toning down Zach Snyder, bringing in a veteran DC comics guy in a much larger role, changing the tone... sounds like stuff of which you'd approve.
Right, because the studios involvement fixed fant4stick, and clearly fixed Suicide Squad?

We got bridges for sale here folks, step right up!!!

I see it more like adding extra sugar to a mixture of spoiled ingredients to cover the stench.
That's fine...I won't go the distance here, but I will say now, I told you so.

Justice League, will be a bigger disaster than BVS, unless you thought the jokes and tone of the "trailer" were funny/good. Personally, it was a wash. SS was unwatchable, even with Robbie doing her thing.

I harp on Nolan, but, seeing the aftermath now... idk... it's like the a swirling vortex of diminishing returns.
I still think he's sloppy, but his successors are flat out incompetent.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #62
Commenter 42
Banned

Just read the rumor that Vince Vaughn has been tapped to play the real Luthor.
first as a cameo in JL, then MOS2, hence the new look.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #63
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

He... Actually looks like a Luthor...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #64
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, that's ace casting.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #65
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

For some reason Lex is Alex Luthor Jr., not to be confused with the rouge son of the Earth-3 Lex. I assume this is Lex Luthor Sr.? I never saw the point of the 'jr." part of his name. Perhaps there is a reason in story that is about to be told.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #66
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Right, because the studios involvement fixed fant4stick, and clearly fixed Suicide Squad?

We got bridges for sale here folks, step right up!!!

I see it more like adding extra sugar to a mixture of spoiled ingredients to cover the stench.
That's fine...I won't go the distance here, but I will say now, I told you so.

Justice League, will be a bigger disaster than BVS unless you thought the jokes and tone of the "trailer" were funny/good. Personally, it was a wash. SS was unwatchable, even with Robbie doing her thing.

I harp on Nolan, but, seeing the aftermath now... idk... it's like the a swirling vortex of diminishing returns.
I still think he's sloppy, but his successors are flat out incompetent.
Studio meddling in the middle of production is indeed usually a recipe for disaster. However, how early into production was JL before these changes were made? Just because you have a roadmap doesn't mean it can't and shouldn't be corrected.

Could this result in further chaos? Absolutely? Does it have to turn out that way? Not necessarily.

Reducing "Snyderisms" is a good thing.
Bringing in a comics veteran is a good thing.

If handled poorly, it can backfire. But they are addressing issues that are real and do need to be addressed.

Also, Fant4stic was always going to be a clusterfrak. Studio meddling couldn't save it, but the absence of studio meddling wouldn't have helped either.

Suicide Squad? I loved it. Studio meddling did drastically effect the final product, especially regarding Joker and Harley (*one can hardly blame them for backing down on portraying such an abusive domineering relationship, though... that's an easy target for backlash). I think a lot of the splash and color and crap (freaking unicorn jokes) was added in to try to more closely resemble Deadpool.

So I can point to stuff and admit "Yeah, studio fingerprints there and there and there" but the film overall worked for me. Could've been better, but not a trainwreck.

As far as the Justice League trailer... well, you've got me there. It is definitely trying to course correct and bring in lightness and humor, blah blah blah. As long as they don't over-correct, it could certainly help their mass appeal. What's a studio to do? They're trying to make changes to fix things critics, haters, and apathetic viewers all didn't like. Why shouldn't they?

Bottom line: WB/DC's biggest problem is their lack of faith in their product. Some of these changes could very easily turn out to add further problems, but it could also give them a lift. It's too early to tell, and I'm not going to hate on them for genuinely trying. I remain optimistic yet guarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Just read the rumor that Vince Vaughn has been tapped to play the real Luthor.
first as a cameo in JL, then MOS2, hence the new look.
I can't find that rumor anywhere online, but I didn't look very hard. Source please?

Hope that turns out true... Eisenberg was the biggest misstep I've seen DC/WB make. Vince Vaughn, on the other hand...

Yeah, I can get behind this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
For some reason Lex is Alex Luthor Jr., not to be confused with the rouge son of the Earth-3 Lex. I assume this is Lex Luthor Sr.? I never saw the point of the 'jr." part of his name. Perhaps there is a reason in story that is about to be told.
Nah, I'm hoping recast and pull a Hulk/Rhodey.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #67
CyberCubed
Overlord

So I haven't been following, the Luthor in Batman/Superman was not the real Luthor? Then why did he say his first name was Lex? He felt more like a gay flamboyant Riddler than Luthor to me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #68
sdp
-

DC's problem is indeed lack of faith in their product and Marvel fanboys. The moment their franchise doesn't do what they wanted they restructure everything. I still remember the SDCC before Green Lantern came out int he Q&A they were asked about a "Cinematic Universe" and while he said they were planning to keep things separate because simply their characters are bigger (ironic how that turned out) but in that same panel he basically implied it could/would happen slowly. Of course everything changed when Green Lantern bombed and they decided to try again with MoS but that didn't do as well as planned they again went back to the drawing board.

Seeing how much money they were losing and no time to wait to reboot they decided to go full on shared universe first, which is fine as well and always found "BUT HOW WILL WE KNOW THE ORIGINS!?" posts rather stupid, did you ask what everyone's origin was when you first watched X-Men or even the Justice League cartoon? of course not. I personally liked BvS but it did have odd choices here and there, the internet went through it as a TSA agent though and now DC is making all these changes that further affect how their shared universe will go and killing the interest I had in it.

Will new movies be cookie cutter like Marvel films? I guess we'll find out. Was Suicide Squad cut up after BvS failed to be as huge as they wanted? We'll know eventually. But these things do affect the product. MoS was a Superman origin and BvS puts Superman in a "mature" DC Universe and yet some heroes/villains are just showing up and yet other events having happened making the universe not make a lot of sense. Some mix up is fine but this is already creating confusion on the timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I haven't been following, the Luthor in Batman/Superman was not the real Luthor? Then why did he say his first name was Lex? He felt more like a gay flamboyant Riddler than Luthor to me.
Yeah, apparently he was Alexander Luthor, we knew this shortly after the movie premiered I think. That is kind of stupid and didn't understand the decision. Unlike most I actually liked this interpretation of Luthor for the most part, except for the whole "Darkseid is coming" in the end.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Justice League will be fantastic, but I am wary of the new Aquaman. He looked like a hobo.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #70
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I think Justice League will be fantastic, but I am wary of the new Aquaman. He looked like a hobo.
I think Justice League will be better than BvS at least. I sort of liked Aquaman, I just wish DC/WB weren't trying so damn hard to convince us that he's a badass.

I read the comics, guys, I already know. He doesn't have to freaking be Ocean of Thrones.

Quote:
Nah, he was supposed to be the real Lex. I think they were just trying to go for some symmetry of male characters with absent (whether dead or abusive and emotionally distant) father figures. Symmetry.

Didn't work. Horrible Lex.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #71
Commenter 42
Banned

I can see we're wider apart on the subject then I thought. I liked the idea of SS, but it was painful to watch.

I'm expecting JL to be a longer version of the trailer.
I had a hard time sitting through the trailer. As they say, your milage may vary.

Maybe the next trailer will change my mind...
Old 09-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #72
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

If they really wanted to reboot/recast Lex Luthor as a character, maybe they could pull a version of that stunt from the 1990s comics where he had cloned himself into a younger body and later returned to his normal state. It was somewhat concurrent with the "Death/Rebirth of Superman" arc, so there's a precedent for it.

Even as a fan of the Donner movies, I have to admit Eisenberg's Lex was scarier and more sinister than Gene Hackman was (though Eisenberg had better material to work with).

If they did the Matrix/Linda Danvers version of Supergirl that was Lex's pawn in those 90s comics, all the casual TV fans would probably cry foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 09-10-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #73
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Maybe Luthor Snr will breakout Jr from prison.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #74
ToTheNines
[sic]

Or maybe he'll asphyxiate Jr. with his own dumbass wig.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #75
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Time Warner CEO Offers Timetable for Solo Batman Movie

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E5).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #76
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I'll bet the farm that when they do have a projected release date, they're going to announce the movie again for a sixth time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #77
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Look, they've "confirmed" the title again:
http://comicbook.com/2016/10/03/ben-...an-solo-movie/
Old 10-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #78
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Look, they've "confirmed" the title again:
http://comicbook.com/2016/10/03/ben-...an-solo-movie/
Man, the news is just trickling in, isn't it?

I'm confident any day noew we'll have an official reconfirmation that Ben Affleck will star in it.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #79
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Man, the news is just trickling in, isn't it?

I'm confident any day noew we'll have an official reconfirmation that Ben Affleck will star in it.
Nope, confirmation of that is still pending, to come in future announcements of the movie happening.

Today:
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batma...pening-a145758
Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #80
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nope, confirmation of that is still pending, to come in future announcements of the movie happening.

Today:
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batma...pening-a145758
This is the first step. First say "it's not officially happening."

THEN he can more easily re-confirm "Ben Affleck to star in Batman movie!"

Tags
batman, diversity comics, the cucked crusader