The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

20th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Recently (In November 201 was 20 years since the release of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I know I should have posted during the anniversary but many probably associate its release with the 1998Ė1999 Christmas and holiday season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Le...carina_of_Time

(Spoiler below: Playthrough)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QvlxoX1GjI
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

Oh man. Ocarina of Time. I must have been 8 years old at best when my older brother came home with it back in the day.

The only Zelda game I had played until then was the very first NES Zelda game. I didn't get to play A Link to the Plast until after Ocarina, and didn't know of Link's Awakening's existence until many years later. So imagine what it felt like to go from the first ever NES Zelda game to Ocarina a couple of years later.

Ocarina of Time was probably the defining game of my childhood. It felt like video games had plateau'd with Ocarina at the time. never had I experienced a game like that before. Felt very cinematic and epic. Sure, Mario 64 was great, but it didn't have the same cinematic and epicness feel to it. Mario games are mostly about the gameplay and that's it. Saving peach is just something that happens at the end. I don't even think of that as I play Mario. I just want fun levels. But Zelda is different. I get involved in the quest and every step I take in it, and Ocarina was no different. I loved its world and cast of characters and it was the first game I played that was quite text heavy and where I developed some sort of emotional connection with its side characters.

For years I swore Ocarina was the pinnacle of gaming and the undisputed GOAT. Since then I played and beat it a few more times and I no longer think that. Nowadays I consider A Link to the Past superior to it. Ocarina was a very influential game at the time that introduced gameplay mechanics such as Z-targetting that improved the gaming experience tenfold. But nowadays I feel it's been surpassed. And that's not a bad thing. It's a good sign, in fact. Still a good game, but no longer an ultimate favourite of mine.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I got a good chuckle out of this image. It would been awesome if it looked more like the flasks in the game, but any player would know the intent.
Image is in spoilers due to size
Spoiler:

Otherwise, Happy 20th to a kick-ass game.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've still never played a single Zelda game. Ever.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You are missing out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You are missing out.
I KNEW I could get a comment outta you with that!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
wpugh2424
Stone Warrior

I agree the Zelda games are amazing
you are def missing out imho but then again who cares what I think
Old 01-03-2019, 01:33 AM   #9
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I've been playing Zelda games in the order they came out since Ocarina of Time. (I actually got Zelda II before I got Zelda I.) Link's Awakening came out a month before I started my first year of high school and that's when I got it and started working on it. After that, and up to my second year of college, I had a lot of neat games to play, and then Ocarina of Time came out. I finally had a new Zelda game to work on after all that time. After that, new Zelda games have been coming out every other year without huge gaps in between those years.

I felt like a loser for not having enough money to preorder the game. I almost got this job at a computer store, but that fell through. I got enough money around Christmastime that year to buy a copy, but I missed my chance of getting a gold cartridge. Still, it was a fun game, even though I'm not sure where I'd rank it among all the other games, since I've enjoyed all Zelda games (although I don't care to touch the CD-i games).
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
We all miss big titles sometimes. Can't just play/watch/read/wtv everything. I've never played a Metal gear Solid game before, for example.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Legendary opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ohCKS_LUM
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
Icebot
Foot Elite

Iíve never played ocarina of time but is this the same game released on the 3ds? I have that version but I didnít get a chance to play it yet. I plan to though.

Happy 20th anniversary!
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Iíve never played ocarina of time but is this the same game released on the 3ds? I have that version but I didnít get a chance to play it yet. I plan to though.

Happy 20th anniversary!
I mean, it is the same game at core, of course, but obviously the 3DS remake is more polished graphically and gameplay wise to fit modern gaming standards. it's the best version of the game you can find, imo. The water temple, for example, is much more bearable in that version.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #14
Powder
Salami Origami

Definitely wanna pick up the 3DS version one of these days. Haven't played the OG in ages. Had the Gamecube port but my Wii stopped reading discs.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote