The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #21
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

I grew up with the show too, I remember watching "Lone Raph and Cub" every day when I got home from school on channel 22. I also remember playing TMNT 2 with my my dad and watching one of the mouser episodes in a cartridge for my Gameboy Advanced. I also had the sewer lair a tons of figures, I really miss those days.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #22
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude View Post
I was 8 years old when it aired. I saw pieces of the show, but did not start watching it until I was around 10 when it came on after Sonic X (that was the show I was obsessed with at the time). For whatever reason, I tuned in for almost all of the Fast Forward arc though.
Holy sh*t. I did not expect to see a recent post from you.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #23
Danetello
Stone Warrior

I was nearing 18 when the first episode aired, and I'll admit, at that age my eternal love for the TMNT had been put to the wayside while I figured my life out. It would have been fun to follow the series along in its original run and be part of the complete unknowns ahead.

Danetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #24
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
I grew up with the show too, I remember watching "Lone Raph and Cub" every day when I got home from school on channel 22. I also remember playing TMNT 2 with my my dad and watching one of the mouser episodes in a cartridge for my Gameboy Advanced. I also had the sewer lair a tons of figures, I really miss those days.
You mean this one?

http://www.tmnttoys.com/03others/lair/index.html
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #25
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

TL;DR: Watched every Saturday, got the toys, not very popular among peers

I believe around mid-2003, I first discovered the 1987 series on a foreign satellite T.V. channel and I watched it obsessively. Later in the summer, I saw the 2003 action figures on display at Target, which led to my discovery of that show, and the FoxBox website (which I adored). At the time, there was a preview online for "Notes from the Underground Part 3" which got me pumped! I mean, it was so cool hearing the Turtles voices for the first time! Eventually in August, I caught reruns of "The Shredder Strikes" two-parter, personally a fitting introduction to the series. I definitely loved it more than the 1987 one due to being more action packed and serious, but I still liked the 1987 series for what it was, and I still watched it when it was on that satellite channel. The funny thing was that I thought Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang would be in the 2003 show before I saw it, but I soon realized that this was something completely new and different.

Soon, I had the figures for the Turtles, Splinter, Shredder, April, Casey, Hun, a Foot Soldier, Toddler Turtles, Feudal Shredder, the Fast Forward Turtles, Fast Forward Splinter, Sh'Okanabo, the Battle Shell, posters, school folders, Valentine's Day cards, Mighty Beanz, the 1990 movie on DVD, the 1987 Season 1 DVD, the 2003 video game on PC, etc. I believe I remember seeing a Giant Raphael on either the front or back cover of the 2003 Target holiday toy catalog, as well as a page showcasing the figures and lair, so at least the show was somewhat popular. Ninjaturtles.com was my number one website to go to, along with other fansites (The Technodrome, Mikey's TMNT, etc.), and I genuinely felt like a TMNT expert LOL. I even emailed "Donatello" when Fast Forward was on, and emailed Dan Berger a bunch of questions on Leo's scar, a Season 4 video game, the Lost Season, cancellation of the series, and Season 7. Here is one email that I now find amusing because I was just a kid at the time.

Spoiler:
9/25/06
> I was wondering if the show will get cancelled because Fast Forward.

The show would already have been canceled had we not changed its
direction. The ratings and merchandise sales were flat, so to keep
all of partners on board, we had to change the direction of the show.

Thanks for writing!

Cheers!
Dan Berger
Mirage Studios' Official Web Dude
http://www.ninjaturtles.com
However, my peers were into the more popular franchises at the time, like Justice League, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Jackie Chan Adventures, so aside from my brother, I had very few people around me to share my TMNT passion with. I was embarrassed about talking about TMNT because it was seen as a joke to some people. Maybe they were somehow aware of its 80s past and the stigma remained? However, in the 4th grade at recess, I noticed one of my friends had an Usagi Yojimbo comic, and it made me immediately strike up a conversation with him about TMNT, and I was really happy. Later on, I noticed more appreciation for the 1987 series once YouTube gained popularity in 2006 from personalities like the Angry Video Game Nerd and Smosh (the first YouTube video I saw was a 2003 TMNT AMV for Linkin Park's "Numb" LOL).

I watched new episodes pretty much every Saturday morning, until late 2006 when I somewhat lost interest due to the direction the series was going in with the monsters and whatnot. It was around this time that I really got into Star Wars, Batman, Spider-Man, and Bionicle, and I missed out on the 2007 movie when it first came out, as well as the second half of Fast Forward. However, when Back to the Sewer started in 2008, along with the 25th anniversary hype, I slowly got right back in. I also noticed more 1987 TMNT merchandise began to pop up, which made me feel a little weird since all of a sudden people started caring about TMNT again. I was a little suspicious of some of my peers in high school wearing retro TMNT shirts, since I wasn't sure if they were legit fans. Even though my T.V. reception was bad, I still got to watch the Turtles Forever premiere. I got a Back to the Sewer remote controlled ATV with Leo, more of the movies on DVD, a 2012 Raphael figure when they first started showing up, finally got the Battle Nexus and Mutant Nightmare video games, and I even ordered an autographed Fugitoid from Peter Laird!

Even though I am not really a big fan of the 2012 series, I have seen every episode, even if it takes me months to catch up on it, and it seems to have improved a lot with Seasons 4 and 5. I am definitely getting that Usagi figure when it comes out! I sometimes have difficulty forgiving myself for missing out on all the DVDs, some of the figures of the secondary characters and variants, and other merchandise of the 2003 series, but maybe someday the franchise will fall into the hands of people at Nickelodeon who are just as passionate about the series as we are, and they will release that stuff for us. I could use a 2003 TMNT t-shirt.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #26
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
I believe around mid-2003, I first discovered the 1987 series on a foreign satellite T.V. channel and I watched it obsessively. Later in the summer, I saw the 2003 action figures on display at Target, which led to my discovery of that show, and the FoxBox website (which I adored). At the time, there was a preview online for "Notes from the Underground Part 3" which got me pumped! I mean, it was so cool hearing the Turtles voices for the first time! Eventually in August, I caught reruns of "The Shredder Strikes" two-parter, personally a fitting introduction to the series. I definitely loved it more than the 1987 one due to being more action packed and serious, but I still liked the 1987 series for what it was, and I still watched it when it was on that satellite channel. The funny thing was that I thought Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang would be in the 2003 show before I saw it, but I soon realized that this was something completely new and different.

Soon, I had the figures for the Turtles, Splinter, Shredder, April, Casey, Hun, a Foot Soldier, Toddler Turtles, Feudal Shredder, the Fast Forward Turtles, Fast Forward Splinter, Sh'Okanabo, the Battle Shell, posters, school folders, Valentine's Day cards, Mighty Beanz, the 1990 movie on DVD, the 1987 Season 1 DVD, the 2003 video game on PC, etc. I believe I remember seeing a Giant Raphael on either the front or back cover of the 2003 Target holiday toy catalog, as well as a page showcasing the figures and lair, so at least the show was somewhat popular. Ninjaturtles.com was my number one website to go to, along with other fansites (The Technodrome, Mikey's TMNT, etc.), and I genuinely felt like a TMNT expert LOL. I even emailed "Donatello" when Fast Forward was on, and emailed Dan Berger a bunch of questions on Leo's scar, a Season 4 video game, the Lost Season, cancellation of the series, and Season 7. Here is one email that I now find amusing because I was just a kid at the time.

Spoiler:
9/25/06
> I was wondering if the show will get cancelled because Fast Forward.

The show would already have been canceled had we not changed its
direction. The ratings and merchandise sales were flat, so to keep
all of partners on board, we had to change the direction of the show.

Thanks for writing!

Cheers!
Dan Berger
Mirage Studios' Official Web Dude
http://www.ninjaturtles.com
However, my peers were into the more popular franchises at the time, like Justice League, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Jackie Chan Adventures, so aside from my brother, I had very few people around me to share my TMNT passion with. I was embarrassed about talking about TMNT because it was seen as a joke to some people. Maybe they were somehow aware of its 80s past and the stigma remained? However, in the 4th grade at recess, I noticed one of my friends had an Usagi Yojimbo comic, and it made me immediately strike up a conversation with him about TMNT, and I was really happy. Later on, I noticed more appreciation for the 1987 series once YouTube gained popularity in 2006 from personalities like the Angry Video Game Nerd and Smosh (the first YouTube video I saw was a 2003 TMNT AMV for Linkin Park's "Numb" LOL).

I watched new episodes pretty much every Saturday morning, until late 2006 when I somewhat lost interest due to the direction the series was going in with the monsters and whatnot. It was around this time that I really got into Star Wars, Batman, Spider-Man, and Bionicle, and I missed out on the 2007 movie when it first came out, as well as the second half of Fast Forward. However, when Back to the Sewer started in 2008, along with the 25th anniversary hype, I slowly got right back in. I also noticed more 1987 TMNT merchandise began to pop up, which made me feel a little weird since all of a sudden people started caring about TMNT again. I was a little suspicious of some of my peers in high school wearing retro TMNT shirts, since I wasn't sure if they were legit fans. Even though my T.V. reception was bad, I still got to watch the Turtles Forever premiere. I got a Back to the Sewer remote controlled ATV with Leo, more of the movies on DVD, a 2012 Raphael figure when they first started showing up, finally got the Battle Nexus and Mutant Nightmare video games, and I even ordered an autographed Fugitoid from Peter Laird!

Even though I am not really a big fan of the 2012 series, I have seen every episode, even if it takes me months to catch up on it, and it seems to have improved a lot with Seasons 4 and 5. I am definitely getting that Usagi figure when it comes out! I sometimes have difficulty forgiving myself for missing out on all the DVDs, some of the figures of the secondary characters and variants, and other merchandise of the 2003 series, but maybe someday the franchise will fall into the hands of people at Nickelodeon who are just as passionate about the series as we are, and they will release that stuff for us. I could use a 2003 TMNT t-shirt.
Funny how Batman and Superman never got any 1930's stigma among your friends...
Old 05-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #27
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Funny how Batman and Superman never got any 1930's stigma among your friends...
It's funny because TMNT 2003 was probably the most violent and intense cartoon I've ever seen up to that point. I remember watching "Return to New York" when it first aired, and seeing Shredder get decapitated left me shell-shocked (pun intended). I was even more surprised when he got up at the end. I thought he was a robot or something. Season 4 really pushed the envelope though, that's for sure.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #28
Overlord

Bishop

Quote:
Season 4 really pushed the envelope though, that's for sure.
Do you mean Bishop?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #29
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Do you mean Bishop?
Yeah. His experiments were pretty disturbing. I was never a big fan of the mutant outbreak episodes towards the end of the season, but the rest of Season 4 is pretty good.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #30
Overlord

Season 4

Quote:
Yeah. His experiments were pretty disturbing. I was never a big fan of the mutant outbreak episodes towards the end of the season, but the rest of Season 4 is pretty good.
Bishop as a character is great for that series, and the early-season 4 Triceraton invasion of Earth rocks.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #31
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Seriously, Bishop is my favourite villain, and the mutant outbreak episodes were among my favourites. I love that humongous creep.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #32
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Seriously, Bishop is my favourite villain, and the mutant outbreak episodes were among my favourites. I love that humongous creep.
I prefer when the Triceratons attack Earth during early-season 3.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #33
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

I grew up with this show, although I kinda stopped watching during the FastForward run (primarily because I was a huge gamer at that stage). My first ever episode was "The Shredder Strikes Part 2". Good memories. I eventually came back to it in my mid-teens out of curiosity after playing my old copy of Battle Nexus. Glad I did. It is now one of my top 5 favorite cartoons of all time.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #34
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro Kame View Post
I grew up with this show, although I kinda stopped watching during the FastForward run (primarily because I was a huge gamer at that stage). My first ever episode was "The Shredder Strikes Part 2". Good memories. I eventually came back to it in my mid-teens out of curiosity after playing my old copy of Battle Nexus. Glad I did. It is now one of my top 5 favorite cartoons of all time.
Did you quickly manage to catch the 10 previous episodes?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #35
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Oh man! I just found a recording of the FoxBox broadcast of the day I first watched the show, August 23, 2003! It was called "The Shredder Double-Header." I remember watching Fighting Foodons, the Back to the Future animated series, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, and the Sonic X sneak peak. Strangely enough, it was also the first time I discovered Back to the Future and I had no idea what it was at the time. I can't believe I found it! https://archive.org/details/FoxBoxAugust232003
Old 06-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #36
ToTheNines
[sic]

Oh my god, thank you. I'm crippled by nostalgia right now. Love those old commercials and foxbox bumpers.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #37
Overlord

Quote:
Oh man! I just found a recording of the FoxBox broadcast of the day I first watched the show, August 23, 2003! It was called "The Shredder Double-Header." I remember watching Fighting Foodons, the Back to the Future animated series, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, and the Sonic X sneak peak. Strangely enough, it was also the first time I discovered Back to the Future and I had no idea what it was at the time. I can't believe I found it! https://archive.org/details/FoxBoxAugust232003
No new episode aired that day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag...ies)_(season_1)
Old 06-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #38
ABrown
Banned

I was 21 years old when the 4Kids series began. So I think pretty much all of the episodes that aired in the Spring of 2003 were after a night out at the bar.

Though my stepson was 2-8 years old during the 4Kids series run. I should ask him what he remembers. He did love rewatching the series with me when Nick Toons reran the entire show.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

I honestly can't believe the 4kids series is going to be 15 years old soon. It's completely crazy when you think about it. I still remember when it was considered the "new" TMNT cartoon, and when it was airing for the first time as if it were only yesterday.

And here we are in the far flung future of 2017 where the Nick show is ending and we're getting the 4th TMNT cartoon in 2018. Where does the time go?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I honestly can't believe the 4kids series is going to be 15 years old soon. It's completely crazy when you think about it. I still remember when it was considered the "new" TMNT cartoon, and when it was airing for the first time as if it were only yesterday.

And here we are in the far flung future of 2017 where the Nick show is ending and we're getting the 4th TMNT cartoon in 2018. Where does the time go?
Damn we're getting a new one so soon?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote