The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's definitely getting more frequent and it's getting confusing. I was watching the news and the anchor was telling a story about "her partner" and given the material, I literally couldn't decipher if she meant a business partner or her spouse/significant other
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #42
newfan
Mad Scientist

I just figured this was used by people in long term relationships (unmarried) who feel a little old to be saying 'boyfriend or girlfriend' (or they are living together so it differentiates from just dating?) Often here they also refer to 'the other half' not sure I'd like to be referred to as half a person (course it's not meant that way)
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah this is definitely a new thing. Usually people would say, "The person with whom I am dating," or "My boyfriend/girlfriend" or "My significant other."

Seeing people say "my partner" doesn't always mean romantic partner. It can mean business partner, or even just a friend. This new terminology is weird.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #44
newfan
Mad Scientist

I dunno, often people also say 'business partner' I've not known anyone refer to a friend that way but maybe you know some who have? It's become common, yeah it was already being used in other ways (business, police for eg) but I don't really have an issue with it.

Last edited by newfan; 05-25-2018 at 03:31 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #45
Coola Yagami
Overlord

IDK. One of the girls I was with would rather we call each other lovers or partners, cause she felt the boyfriend/girlfriend thing sounded to childish. And this was like.. early 2000s. Anyone else I've been with never had a problem with boyfriend/girlfriend.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #46
Prowler
Emperor

"My partner" might sound good in the English language but not in my language. When people say "partner" here they're usually referring to someone they collaborate with or... refer to their sex partner. Never hear anyone using it as a replacement for "boyfriend/girlfriend".

Although, I suppose two people in their 40s calling each other boyfriend/girlfriend would sound a bit childish, but I'm pretty sure many people in that age bracket use that term here still.

I'm 27 years old. I'd just say "my girlfriend" if I had one. A pretty self-explanatory label.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

I guess it's because 30+ year olds who are dating new people don't want to call someone, "my girlfriend/boyfriend" when they're both adults.

Sounds weird if a 45 year old man was calling his 38 year old lover, "his girlfriend." Makes him sound like a pedophile.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #48
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Not really. Boy/girlfriend as a teem used by adults has been around for decades, why would it sound weird now? Even older people have used it that way since- well, as long as it's been around.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #49
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess it's because 30+ year olds who are dating new people don't want to call someone, "my girlfriend/boyfriend" when they're both adults.

Sounds weird if a 45 year old man was calling his 38 year old lover, "his girlfriend." Makes him sound like a pedophile.
'cubed, please.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Old 05-30-2018, 02:22 AM   #51
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
She probably calls Woody "daddy".

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Sounds weird if a 45 year old man was calling his 38 year old lover, "his girlfriend."
But why is that?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

A lot of adults don't like saying boyfriend/girlfriend because it sounds juvenile like you're a teenager or in your early 20's at most.

It feels very weird to see 30+ year olds especially refer to someone as their girlfriend/boyfriend. I mean you're both fully grown adults, calling someone you're dating "your girlfriend" when you're like 35 years old just feels weird.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
A lot of adults don't like saying boyfriend/girlfriend because it sounds juvenile like you're a teenager or in your early 20's at most.

It feels very weird to see 30+ year olds especially refer to someone as their girlfriend/boyfriend.
But even in terms of their husband or wife? Why not just say husband or wife?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #55
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But even in terms of their husband or wife? Why not just say husband or wife?
I think cause sometimes it's kinda implying that their relationship is still as fresh and exciting as if they were college sweethearts. I've seen some older folks use that term at times. It implies they haven't hit the 'ol' ball and chain' phase yet.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #56
Shinigami
Thug

I am so confused how this ninja turtles forum has became a mouthpiece for conservatives and how many post (not this one) sound like coded alt-right stuff. Had this forum always been that way? Other than TMNT-L, are there any others that have less of this baiting stuff?
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I am so confused how this ninja turtles forum has became a mouthpiece for conservatives
No one is stopping anyone from making liberal threads.

Quote:
and how many post (not this one) sound like coded alt-right stuff.
What does that even mean? And how does any of it ascend from "right stuff" to "alt-right stuff"?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #58
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Count me among the exegetically confused.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #59
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No one is stopping anyone from making liberal threads.

What does that even mean?
Sort of like dog-whistle politics. Google it and you’ll see some of the same rehetoric and phrasing these guys are posting on here.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #60
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I am so confused how this ninja turtles forum has became a mouthpiece for conservatives and how many post (not this one) sound like coded alt-right stuff. Had this forum always been that way? Other than TMNT-L, are there any others that have less of this baiting stuff?
Yes, yes, any opinion, that is denying yours is "alt-right coded language".

RejectEra ResetEra and the like, are in the other region of Internet. Spread your paranoia in some other place, please.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote