The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 12-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

I mean, Marvel's trying to cash in on a trend, I get that. And honestly, I've really enjoyed Spider-Gwen and the Gwenpool Holiday Special was a lot of fun, so the quality is there. But I have a feeling that pushing multiple Gwen-ized characters into ongoing series is going to speed up the trend's demise.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

What the frak. That was my reaction. This looks bizarre, moving on.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Looks like a lot of fun.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Sums it up for me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Looks like a lot of fun.
If it's anything like the shorts and the special so far, it will be. And it's the same creative team, so!

I mean, even if it's all stemming from a cutesy cosplay-friendly mash-up design, it is a fairly clever concept (she's a comics fan originally from "our" world, giving her a fun perspective and reason for the Deadpool-esque fourth-wall breakage) that's aimed at a market that a lot of comics still don't do much for, so that's all good in my books.

I do worry that they're going to overdo the attempts to monetize every variant cover that gets a reaction online and kill their natural appeal, though. But, y'know... it's not like comics has a history of running natural trends into the ground for an immediate cash-in. And I'd rather see this than a 14th Avengers title at this point.

Not really sure where the anger about this is coming from, personally.

Last edited by Bry; 12-22-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its times like this I wish Marvel comics all crashed and burned. Before the Disney buy out weren't they on the verge of declaring bankruptcy? It was essentially the movies and Disney that saved them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Gwenpool is pretty fun so far. She isn't even Gwen Stacy.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Because Marvel's obsession with over saturating the market with wacky/zany titles is annoying and the books really aren't as good as people think. F*ck "fun", it's just an excuse to have characters quip memes that get posted on Tumblr obsessively by the gullible clickbait SJW sheep they pander to.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-23-2015 at 07:19 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Because Marvel's obsession with over saturating the market with wacky/zany titles is annoying and the books really aren't as good as people think.

Quote:
F*ck "fun", it's just an excuse to have characters quip memes that get posted on Tumblr obsessively by the gullible clickbait SJW sheep they pander to.
So it's "f**k every media product not made with my specific tastes in mind," then?

Do you get this bitterly angry every time this sort of thing happens? Because I've gotta tell you, that just sounds exhausting.

If you really want to get angry at Marvel oversaturating the market or making damaging moves, get angry about 47 different Avengers titles, them smothering the X-Men and the Fantastic Four to death over a petty rights dispute, or endless crossover events that constantly disrupt their entire line. The beauty of these books is that they're very self-contained, so if you don't like them you can easily ignore them.

Last edited by Bry; 12-23-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I just finished another piece of wacky/zany thrash out today, Hellcat. These things are so interchangeable, they're not distinct, unique, compelling, they're all designed to tickle funny bones of easily pleased plebs. Enough already, stop with the self-deprecation, start handling these characters with more care.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Butthurt fanboys are upset that comics are catering to a special interest group that isn't them.

They're so cute when they're stroppy.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

"F**k 'fun'" is the best laugh I've had all week.

I remember the '90s, when like 85% of comics were pathetically desperate attempts to be "hardcore" and "edgy" with anti-heroes named BloodKill DeathShot. Those were some dark days filled with truly terrible comics. Stuff like Gwenpool is a freakin' godsend by comparison.

Last edited by Bry; 12-23-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I dunno, I tend to agree with ZariusTwo.

There are far too many comics just taking up pagecount but not telling any stories of hard value or lasting impact. Even Deadpool and Harley Quinn, these series are just kinda... bubblegum. Fine for you guys, hope you enjoy. I just wish there were more books from DC and Marvel with gravitas.

But hey, there's always Rat Queens and Saga.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I dunno, I tend to agree with ZariusTwo.

There are far too many comics just taking up pagecount but not telling any stories of hard value or lasting impact. Even Deadpool and Harley Quinn, these series are just kinda... bubblegum. Fine for you guys, hope you enjoy. I just wish there were more books from DC and Marvel with gravitas.

But hey, there's always Rat Queens and Saga.
While I appreciate your taste in other comics, I can't help but be boggled by the rest of your commentary.

You have what you like from the Big Two, and your complaint is that there isn't more of what you like. And that anything that isn't what you like is "taking up pagecount." ie: a waste of space.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
While I appreciate your taste in other comics, I can't help but be boggled by the rest of your commentary.

You have what you like from the Big Two, and your complaint is that there isn't more of what you like. And that anything that isn't what you like is "taking up pagecount." ie: a waste of space.
That's a fair criticism, but what I'm trying to communicate is that it seems there is more and more filler and less and less story. Not that what I particularly want is right, but that the industry itself (at least as far as the Big 2 go) is continuing to shift towards filler leading up to crossover that goes back to filler that goes to crossover.

Whether it's the zaniness of Deadpool (which is being imitated more and more) or the pointless Bay-style writing of Scott Lobdell, it seems like DC and Marvel are just coasting on the former memorable stories of their longest held IPs.

I mean, hell. They're doing Civil War 2. Cap punches Iron Man--except this time it's Falcon.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #17
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its times like this I wish Marvel comics all crashed and burned. Before the Disney buy out weren't they on the verge of declaring bankruptcy? It was essentially the movies and Disney that saved them.
You don't even read comics dick head.

I haven't followed Secret Wars or anything since then, but before the reboot they had many awesome books. Punisher, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and Spider Woman (#5 through #10 at least) were all fantastic, some of them will go down as definitive volumes for their titular hero. And those were just the ones that I've had time to read.

Any ways, I don't care if Marvel wants to make whacky funnybooks or continue their whole Gwen Stacy... thing.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 12-23-2015 at 01:51 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #18
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
That's a fair criticism, but what I'm trying to communicate is that it seems there is more and more filler and less and less story. Not that what I particularly want is right, but that the industry itself (at least as far as the Big 2 go) is continuing to shift towards filler leading up to crossover that goes back to filler that goes to crossover.

Whether it's the zaniness of Deadpool (which is being imitated more and more) or the pointless Bay-style writing of Scott Lobdell, it seems like DC and Marvel are just coasting on the former memorable stories of their longest held IPs.

I mean, hell. They're doing Civil War 2. Cap punches Iron Man--except this time it's Falcon.
Aaah. Got'cha.
I can imagine that would be frustrating for someone invested in the larger Marvel Universe. I'm just not one of those people. I've only ever been an X-person, and the last Great Big X-over I followed religiously was Age of Apocalypse.

These days I prefer to keep to the smaller titles, because I don't have the energy to follow the big events. So this Gwenpool thing is right up my alley.

Especially seeing as I prefer my Marvel Universe to either be bubblegum or so Dark and Gritty it borders on parody.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #19
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I agree, CKD. One of the biggest issues that has turned me off of comics in the last few years is the amount of pointless, uninspired drivel that passes for storytelling these days. Not to mention all the gimmicky new "characters" riding the coattails of long-time characters with actual backtories and memorable villains. But the past decade has given us Spider-Gwen and villains like Paper Doll, Overdrive, and a Parkour-using petty crook looking for internet fame. Seriously?! THIS is the best they can do??!! Instead of GOOD Spidey, FF or Avenger stories, they come up with this tripe.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I agree, CKD. One of the biggest issues that has turned me off of comics in the last few years is the amount of pointless, uninspired drivel that passes for storytelling these days. Not to mention all the gimmicky new "characters" riding the coattails of long-time characters with actual backtories and memorable villains. But the past decade has given us Spider-Gwen and villains like Paper Doll, Overdrive, and a Parkour-using petty crook looking for internet fame. Seriously?! THIS is the best they can do??!! Instead of GOOD Spidey, FF or Avenger stories, they come up with this tripe.
I feel the same way. Except for a few outliers (main examples being Snyder's "Batman" and Tomasi's "Batman and Robin"), it feels like the comic industry of the big two is no longer fresh and original. Instead of pizza cooked in a brick oven (or sometimes just a cheesy Pizza Hut buffet), it's now reheated Red Baron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Aaah. Got'cha.
I can imagine that would be frustrating for someone invested in the larger Marvel Universe. I'm just not one of those people. I've only ever been an X-person, and the last Great Big X-over I followed religiously was Age of Apocalypse.

These days I prefer to keep to the smaller titles, because I don't have the energy to follow the big events. So this Gwenpool thing is right up my alley.

Especially seeing as I prefer my Marvel Universe to either be bubblegum or so Dark and Gritty it borders on parody.
It seems to me it would be very difficult to follow any Marvel titles that don't find themselves involved in the Great Big X-Overs. But my sample pool is quite limited, I'll readily admit. Haven't been able to find any "Guardians of the Galaxy" TPBs yet, so I'm still pretty exclusive to Batman. I should try X-Men comics, though... except for X-Force, I've pretty much stayed clear of it.

So what smaller titles do you follow?