Annalist

TMNT #75 Preview and Discussion

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ja-turtles-75/

Hey, a look at Maligna!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

Maligna! Yay!

I think she's definitely this batch of 50 issues' equivalent of the Rat King in the first 50: an antagonist that is briefly set up and will appear in a bigger role later on. No way will her threat be dealt with in any definitive fashion, even if the attack on Neutrino is repelled.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Maligna! Yay!

I think she's definitely this batch of 50 issues' equivalent of the Rat King in the first 50: an antagonist that is briefly set up and will appear in a bigger role later on. No way will her threat be dealt with in any definitive fashion, even if the attack on Neutrino is repelled.
Whereas I'm wondering if she's another Null... a villain set up and teased, and then teased, and then teased...
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Whereas I'm wondering if she's another Null... a villain set up and teased, and then teased, and then teased...

In adventures, Null does have a history with Maligna, maybe these two will continue to be teased until their paths cross
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well unless Malinga and her whole ship is just blown up by the Triceratons in this very issue. Then she's just a one shot baddie. lol.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well unless Malinga and her whole ship is just blown up by the Triceratons in this very issue. Then she's just a one shot baddie. lol.
I'm not sure if I'd be sadder or angrier if that happened. It would make her just a wasted character, and that's not IDW's M.O. so far. It shouldn't be that easy to blow up her ship, either. I expect she will just be defeated and make a tactical retreat at the end of #75.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Given her lack of focus before (I thought she was going to be in the Dimension X mini but she wasn't), she might just be a way of introducing some quick conflict to this arc. Aside from the Utroms, Triceratons and Neutrinos, it's an easy to introduce another alien force out there.

A swarm of hive mind bugs is the easiest sci-fi trope to use in fiction.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I'm not sure if I'd be sadder or angrier if that happened. It would make her just a wasted character, and that's not IDW's M.O. so far. It shouldn't be that easy to blow up her ship, either. I expect she will just be defeated and make a tactical retreat at the end of #75.
Yep. Definitely not IDW's modus operandi.

If all they needed Maligna for was a vague alien menace cannon fodder army for this one three-issue story arc, they'd have created somebody new.

Bobby doesn't want all 12 of you Maligna fans screaming at him for wasting the character.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

If Malinga dies they can still use Lord Dregg as the "king" if they want the insectoid army to continue.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
If Malinga dies they can still use Lord Dregg as the "king" if they want the insectoid army to continue.
Two insectoid warlords seems really redundant.

I'm fine leaving out Dregg.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

There should be a flashback where Maligna devours Dregg and assumes controls of the hive
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:15 AM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

In the discussion in the Universe #15 about who will be the "major character death" and the potential of it being Krang, there's another factor in him potentially not being it.

In #73 and #74, he doesn't really do much. Besides having a temper and grumbling; he's not even all that involved in the preparation for his own trial. In comparison, Shredder did quite a lot in the issues tailing to #50 and was deeply involved.

It would be a waste to off Krang in #75 when he doesn't really do all that much except whine and send Hakk-R off to do his thing - which ended up being a dud mission anyway. And I don't expect him to do anything particularly big except maybe try to escape in the foray of the swarm.

Not to mention the fact that the Trial feels overshadowed by the swarm, which reduces Krang's involvement in his own trial even more. If he were to die, I think we would have been given just a little bit more of him in the previous two issues, maybe learning about the other Utroms being freed, or about Ma'riell's involvement with the persecution. Or that Ch'rell hasn't been let out yet. From a writing standpoint, it doesn't "feel" like he's being set up to be offed quite yet.

But who HAS been deeply involved in the story? Fugitoid. He helped find Leatherhead, he took up the mantle of persecution at the Trial. He actually had an active role. Even though he was literally just brought back, which would be yet another wasted death potential.

And as I keep saying "the rule". Not killing main characters because of loss of potential. And of all the characters in the story that would be pretty much useless after the arch, be they primary, secondary or tertiary, the only one I can think that would be pretty much useless after the Trial arch is Hakk-R. He lost his flare right after Dimension X #1 and probably can't hold up anything on his own, and he'd eventually get boring as a bounty hunter character. He's...basically Boba Fett. Be cool, lose his edge, die like a fool. And, again, he's more involved than Krang, even if that involvement only came at the end when he was about to kill the judge.

I'd at the least be disappointed if it were Krang or Fugitoid, since neither of them have had the necessary "preparation" for a big death.

Then confused if it was anyone else but them or Hakk-R.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
bushido
Stone Warrior

Interview with Tom Waltz and Kevin Eastman:
http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...ja-turtles-75/
Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
In the discussion in the Universe #15 about who will be the "major character death" and the potential of it being Krang, there's another factor in him potentially not being it.

In #73 and #74, he doesn't really do much. Besides having a temper and grumbling; he's not even all that involved in the preparation for his own trial. In comparison, Shredder did quite a lot in the issues tailing to #50 and was deeply involved.

It would be a waste to off Krang in #75 when he doesn't really do all that much except whine and send Hakk-R off to do his thing - which ended up being a dud mission anyway. And I don't expect him to do anything particularly big except maybe try to escape in the foray of the swarm.

Not to mention the fact that the Trial feels overshadowed by the swarm, which reduces Krang's involvement in his own trial even more. If he were to die, I think we would have been given just a little bit more of him in the previous two issues, maybe learning about the other Utroms being freed, or about Ma'riell's involvement with the persecution. Or that Ch'rell hasn't been let out yet. From a writing standpoint, it doesn't "feel" like he's being set up to be offed quite yet.

But who HAS been deeply involved in the story? Fugitoid. He helped find Leatherhead, he took up the mantle of persecution at the Trial. He actually had an active role. Even though he was literally just brought back, which would be yet another wasted death potential.

And as I keep saying "the rule". Not killing main characters because of loss of potential. And of all the characters in the story that would be pretty much useless after the arch, be they primary, secondary or tertiary, the only one I can think that would be pretty much useless after the Trial arch is Hakk-R. He lost his flare right after Dimension X #1 and probably can't hold up anything on his own, and he'd eventually get boring as a bounty hunter character. He's...basically Boba Fett. Be cool, lose his edge, die like a fool. And, again, he's more involved than Krang, even if that involvement only came at the end when he was about to kill the judge.

I'd at the least be disappointed if it were Krang or Fugitoid, since neither of them have had the necessary "preparation" for a big death.

Then confused if it was anyone else but them or Hakk-R.
Seems almost a rule now that the Fugitoid must "die" at least once per continuity. Or at least have his first metallic body destroyed so that his consciousness could be uploaded somewhere else.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

"At least once" . That is true, now that you mention it.

If it were Fugitiod tomorrow, I don't think it would count as a "death" if his consciousness were loaded somewhere else. Just an "oh no, not again".

So, Krang or Hakk-R. Whichever one is least useful in future stories. I'm still suspicious of that outlet, though. It's not listed as a story point anywhere else.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Fugitoid "died" in 2k3, Nick, in Mirage, etc. But he was always reactivated in some form.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #17
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

And we've already gotten the death/reactivation.

Which I thought would get at least a B-plot in an issue or two. His sudden reappearance in the FCBD issue was a bit of an unwelcome surprise when there had been no conversation on how the repair was going.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Fugitoid "died" in 2k3, Nick, in Mirage, etc. But he was always reactivated in some form.
I don't remember him dying in Mirage. He got disassembled, but nobody ever thought he was dead.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I was thinking of when mutated Gamera Raph knocked his head off his body. He was deactivated for a little while. I remember when that issue first came out people thought he might be dead because that was the first time we ever saw Fugitoid's head knocked off.

Then the same thing happened in 2k3, Nick, IDW, etc....so I guess not.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #20
Vicky82
Emperor

Maybe the Major Character death is one of the turtles but is brought back to life a few minutes later.

It could be similar to Leo's 'Death' in Earth Last Stand when Leo Suffocated in space after his helmet broke and Donnie shocked him back to life.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote