The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a driver's license?
Yes, I have a driver's license and a car/vehicle 11 52.38%
Yes, I have a driver's license but not a car/vehicle 5 23.81%
Yes, but not a car license 1 4.76%
No, I don't have one at all. 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Do you have a driving license?

If so, what type? Car? Motorcycle? Other type of vehicle?

I don't have any sort of driving license, therefore I cannot drive either cars or motorcycles, but tbh my city has a good enough public transit system, so I can go by without knowing how to drive.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Of course. Regular one. If I wasn't a cheapskate I'd get an "enhanced" driver's license so I could drive up to Canada without a passport or drive to Mexico... but then I realize I don't really go to either place.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Of course. Regular one. If I wasn't a cheapskate I'd get an "enhanced" driver's license so I could drive up to Canada without a passport or drive to Mexico... but then I realize I don't really go to either place.
"Enhanced"? And how would that make you not need a passport to go to Canada? Could you explain, please?

In Europe it's more common to find people who cant' drive at all due to major cities here being built with public transit in mind. My brother is older than me and also can't drive, nor can this guy I know who is approaching 40. Depends where you live and how far your job and other places you like/need to go to are.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I don't have a car license but I have a moped license, no longer have a moped though. I was not fit for driving it, I easily fall asleep in speed and even when I'm the one going 60 mph on a suped up off-road moped racing a car that does not handle well that I passed him and wanted to drive me off the road; I still got drowsy. Once drowe into a mountain side cause I fell asleep while driving, luckily it was in a sharp turn so I wasn't going fast enough to get injured.

And a car license is super expensive. Although It'd be nice to have one just as ID, especially when you're in a foreign country that doesn't understand that Norwegian debit cards are also functional as IDs
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
"Enhanced"? And how would that make you not need a passport to go to Canada? Could you explain
If you pay an extra $50, you can just drive or walk across the border with that and no passport. Without it, you need one.

Didn't used to be like that. This started like 5 years ago. Before that, just your regular driver's license was enough. Money grab.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I don't have a car license but I have a moped license, no longer have a moped though. I was not fit for driving it, I easily fall asleep in speed and even when I'm the one going 60 mph on a suped up off-road moped racing a car that does not handle well that I passed him and wanted to drive me off the road; I still got drowsy. Once drowe into a mountain side cause I fell asleep while driving, luckily it was in a sharp turn so I wasn't going fast enough to get injured.

And a car license is super expensive. Although It'd be nice to have one just as ID, especially when you're in a foreign country that doesn't understand that Norwegian debit cards are also functional as IDs
No clue how much it costs here, but obviously it isn't free. Plus you gotta have classes and gotta pay for those too, so it adds up.

Here we have this card for ID. It's very practical.

Quote:
If you pay an extra $50, you can just drive or walk across the border with that and no passport. Without it, you need one.

Didn't used to be like that. This started like 5 years ago. Before that, just your regular driver's license was enough. Money grab.
That does sound like a way for your government to punch more extra money out of your people, indeed
Old 09-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have a drivers license but haven't drove a car since like...2006. lol
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I have a drivers license but haven't drove a car since like...2006. lol
Are you sure it hasn't expired yet? Or don't you guys need to renew it ever?
Old 09-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
Vicky82
Emperor

No, but I did try learning to drive, I spent 4 years learning to drive (between 2000 -2004) Failed 1 test, but it was difficult because of my moderate learning difficulties. Then other few problems happened (diagnosed with Epilepsy, problems with my first job) So I decided to give up and just focus using public transportation.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Every 4 years.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Every 4 years.
Then CyberCubed probably doesn't have his anymore. That pr he has been renewing his license without driving at all.

Don't people need to sorta "relearn" how to drive if they go by years without driving at all? Like would they need another test?
Old 09-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Don't people need to sorta "relearn" how to drive if they go by years without driving at all? Like would they need another test?
No. Just another eye exam.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yup, have had it and been driving for well over 23 years. The last 16 of those years (and hopefully many more) with my Jeep Wrangler.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Well how does that compare to the cost of a passport?
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplexxx View Post
Well how does that compare to the cost of a passport?
I've never actually got one but I think somewhere like $75.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
Icebot
Foot Elite

I’ve had my car license for over 20 years and I had 3 cars with it.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Interesting, never even heard of that being a thing.

edit: Ah, no wonder, I guess it's only an option for some of the states across the northern border. Lucky.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Mine expires in 2020
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #19
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I've got a license but no car, which is almost a neccessity here due to distances between most places. Luckily I can walk most everywhere in town. Don't really go anywhere out of town, so don't really need a car. The daily walk to/from work keeps me in shape, too. Especially when I carry groceries home. Two mile weight lift/hike each way, keeps me fit!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Nope. It's a long story. Birth certificate was misprinted at birth for various reasons, so it doesn't have my real name on it. All my other documents have the correct name, but they have to match or else the DMV or records people won't talk to you. My parents are dead so there's nobody to advocate for me or "prove" I'm me. It's a pickle. I've been getting the run-around for over quite a long time, now, because it's a complicated issue and every time I think we're getting ahead, it turns out "No, THIS is what you have to do."

It's fixable, allegedly, but without proof of identity you need a lawyer for these things, and I just don't have the money for it. At one point, someone was going to take my case pro bono, but changed their mind when they found out that it was a lot more complicated than they expected.

I told them, "It's NOT a 'name change', it's a document amendment, which is an entirely separate process," but they had to find out the hard way I guess. Some of the steps are the same, but it's ultimately a totally different process, involving petitioning a judge to hear your case and all kinds of other stuff. Allegedly, it's so complicated to prevent people from committing fraud, or trying to erase their identity if they've committed a felony. I get it, but all I'm trying to do is get a simple misprint corrected.

Very frustrating. As has been explained to me many times, generally when a birth certificate is misprinted, you HAVE to have the parents advocate for you and assert that you are who you say you are before they'll change it. Without that, it's pretty tough. "They really should have fixed this when you were a kid" is what I'm told the most. No kidding!

That's the "short" version. Hopefully it'll be resolved one day.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote