The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #21
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Finally, Vaughn, I forgot to point out that this statement is factually incorrect. Not because DCUC figures aren't cool, but because Mattel's crappy distribution means that they can hardly be called "on shelves right now."
ahahahahahah very true but you just have to get there before all the douche bag scalpers do to grab them, I just got Big Barda, & Captain Cold last week at my local toys r us.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #22
Doc_ock_4mugen
Hench Mutant

Wes: If the Feudal Shredder helmet doesn't work and you're forced to use Movie Shredder's Helmet, Magneto's (X-Men Boxset and ML 3 Magneto) head Works Perfectly with 2007 Movie Shredder's helmet...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #23
Wes
Mad Scientist

Thanks for the tip, Doc -- I'll look into that if I'm ultimately unable to de-smokify this blasted thing.

I have a feeling this'll end up looking way overdone on the finished version, but I still find it more visually interesting than the plain silver! Besides, drybrushing is kinda fun... it's like you get to watch detail appear magically before your eyes! I think I might drybrush his torso some color too.

I want to drybrush the world.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 AM   #24
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
"... drybrushing is kinda fun... it's like you get to watch detail appear magically before your eyes! ... I want to drybrush the world."
Amen, dood. As of now I am very inclinned to drybrush the old PLaymates figures, so much detail lost because of the simple color application they have. But I wouldn't do it unless I get some duplicates.

ALSO the custom looks great. I'd like to do something similar but using a DC Universe CLassics figure as a base. Of course I would have to find a DCU figure lying on the street first...
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
Wes
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Amen, dood. As of now I am very inclinned to drybrush the old PLaymates figures, so much detail lost because of the simple color application they have. But I wouldn't do it unless I get some duplicates.
I know how you feel! A pal recently passed a bunch of his childhood figures on to me, and I'm strongly tempted to repaint the Shredder figure he included. First things first, though!

Quote:
ALSO the custom looks great.
Thanks! This is my first attempt at drybrushing, so I'm quite pleased with the results. It's entirely possible that that was just beginner's luck (my first wash looked pretty darned good too), but assuming that this is a pretty crappy first-time drybrushing job I've gotta say that drybrushing looks pretty decent even when it sucks. I've done some horrible washes, though, to the point that I'm not going to bother with them again until I've gotten some serious practice with a junk figure. I do better with paint wipes, but this drybrushing looks so neat that I think I'll do Shredder's torso as well.

I need to figure out what color to use for that, though. Any suggestions? I do need to buy some dark purple paint for another project I have in mind... I'm also sorta tempted to do a sort of teal -- like the Super Shredder in TMNT III on NES, but that's less likely.

Quote:
I'd like to do something similar but using a DC Universe CLassics figure as a base. Of course I would have to find a DCU figure lying on the street first...
Yeah, DCUC figures are so rare around these parts that I'd have a hard time using one for a custom. Not to mention the poor quality control -- how much would it suck to make a cool custom only to have the leg snap off at the hip? You might have better luck using a DCSH Superman as a base. He's got that wide stance, but the figure isn't terribly rare or costly and was made before Mattel did whatever it did to make DCUC figures horrible.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #26
Nelson
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I need to figure out what color to use for that, though. Any suggestions? I do need to buy some dark purple paint for another project I have in mind... I'm also sorta tempted to do a sort of teal -- like the Super Shredder in TMNT III on NES, but that's less likely.
I'm partial to purple. Also, I'm not sure how are you going to approach the torso but I wouldn't combine purple with black, I would rather try using two shades of purple. Dark purple for the base and a lighter one for the drybrushing part. Leave the black for the armor and other parts that if worn in real life would show wear.

EDIT: Too late, I forgot that you already painted the base! Un-read this post!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #27
Wes
Mad Scientist

Well, I could always paint over it! But I do want whatever color it ends up being to be really dark -- like, almost black -- hence the black base coat. Given that, I'm strongly leaning towards a dark grey at the moment... Once I get the dark purple paint I intend to use for the upcoming project(s), I might have to do a small side-by-side comparison on the figure's back to compare.

Anyway, barring any minor touch-ups, here's the finished armor!

Now all I need to do is pick out a color for Shredder's torso, drybrush that up... and wait until I can score some Black Panther boots to proceed. Ah well, I have some ideas for minor projects to keep me occupied in the interim...

Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #28
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

the finish on the armor looks wicked
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #29
Wes
Mad Scientist

Thanks, Kiwamu! I am rather pleased with it myself.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #30
Wes
Mad Scientist

Okay, new pics and a choice:

I think I like the grey drybrushing (top pic) better in person, but only because it's more obvious -- much like the subtle highlights on Hasbro's most recent Spider-Man Classics Venom figures, the purple drybrushing (bottom pic) doesn't really show up in most light (it's barely visible here, and wasn't really obvious with the flash). That said, whereas the grey drybrushing makes it look like Shredder's wearing grey rather than something darker, I want black to be the dominant color on his body.

So I'm left with a couple of options: simply paint over him in a flat black and be done with it, or paint him some other color (ideally purple, pink, or even blue) and drybrush black over that. I have no idea how it'd turn out, but I'm going to try it out on an accessory to gauge the effect.

Comments, suggestions, recommendations? Share!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #31
Doc_ock_4mugen
Hench Mutant

You could paint it flat black, AND combining a bit of the grey with some black, making a slightly lighter shade of Black to drybrush on top of the flat black... It'll be slightly more subtle than the Grey, but it'll be slightly more visible than the Purple...

Drybrushing Black over another color looks rather weird. Black is better for washes...
Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #32
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Amazing job on this custom, Wes! I love the work you've done on this..
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #33
Wes
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_ock_4mugen View Post
You could paint it flat black, AND combining a bit of the grey with some black, making a slightly lighter shade of Black to drybrush on top of the flat black... It'll be slightly more subtle than the Grey, but it'll be slightly more visible than the Purple...

Drybrushing Black over another color looks rather weird. Black is better for washes...
Suggestion taken under advisement! Though honestly, I was just covering up the back with purple to see what I thought... and now I almost want to drybrush over the black with a lighter color... like a lighter purple or even pink. I'm hesitant to go for a really visible purple since I'm still sorta planning to do the cape in that color and I want there to be a difference there, but that could change depending upon how I like the outcomes on my test accessory.

Speaking of which, I tried the black over purple drybrushing on it... and I agree that it looks pretty odd. Kinda dirty. I think I'd dig it on a character like Rat King (and I could see trying something like that on the cape, since I'm thinking want it to look kinda dirty in keeping with the worn appearance of the armor), but I'm not sure I want Shredder's actual clothes to suggest that he's traded his life as an evil ninja for that of a chimneysweep. Chim chiminey, chim chiminey, chim chim cheree...

Machias: Thanks! Let's hope the final product turns out as well as the armor...

And while Shred's got a ways to go, I should have a minor custom done tomorrow. Hopefully y'all will find it... amusing.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #34
notebook
Hench Mutant

nice work so far.
i would paint him pink/scarlet ala mirage, esp if you plan on using 88 shredder's cape.
however, if you painted him purple and used 88 splinter's robe, that might be interestinga s well.
notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #35
Wes
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aden View Post
nice work so far.
i would paint him pink/scarlet ala mirage, esp if you plan on using 88 shredder's cape.
however, if you painted him purple and used 88 splinter's robe, that might be interestinga s well.
Well, I definitely don't want to do him red/scarlet -- the NECA Shredder's got that scheme covered, and I want this one to look a fair bit different even beyond the armor and base body. The pink I chose/mixed would likely be the fuchsia of the Tournament Fighters Cyber Shredder, for nostalgic reasons.

In any case, I plan to make the cape myself, so color's not too much of a problem -- I do have purple cloth left over from when I made a cape for my Grodd custom, but I could always buy more of another color. Cloth is pretty cheap and I don't fancy having naked Splinters scurrying around here.

Given the worn look of the armor, I bought some burlap that I may use for the task since it'll fray and generally look pretty worn as well. It'll need to be painted, which means I'm not at all bound to the colors of materials on hand! And if I don't like the cape for Shredder, it could always go to Skeletor or Goro or one of the many other figures I have around here that would benefit from tattered capes.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #36
Wes
Mad Scientist

So I've come to a bit of a standstill with the Shredder. In addition to still not having decided which color I want to paint him, I still need some parts from another figure before I can proceed. And then I've sort of become dissatisfied with the forearm pieces... I almost want to use the shin guards for those instead, but then that would leave poor Shredder without shin armor! Which means I would have to either hunt down another Super Shredder or use the armor from the 1987 Shredder, which I don't think would look as good. Sigh.

Any suggestions, comments, and/or well wishes will be appreciated!

In the meantime, here's a (mostly) quick repaint job that I did on a dollar store bug:

Look familiar? Yes, no?

I think I'll make a few more -- and get some clear flight stands; this one was just borrowed from a Masked Rider gashapon -- just for kicks. I also have a bunch of other random insects (each multipack only had two winged insects each), so if anyone else has any suggestions for what to do with them (or needs random bugs for some project), I'm all ears!

Last edited by Wes; 03-16-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #37
Ninjinister
無問題

Ah, TMNT1 game customs. That's something I'm really fond of :p
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #38
Wes
Mad Scientist

Isn't everyone?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #39
Ninjinister
無問題

Who other than you and I have done them, though?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #40
Wes
Mad Scientist

Hmm... good point! I think I thought you were being sarcastic, though -- I'd forgotten that you'd done a few yourself.

I may have to do a Foot soldier with this Rulk Black Spidey if I can't think of anything else to do with it! And that extra First Appearance Thing would be excellent for one as well... assuming I could minimize the paint rub with the figure's articulation.