The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

One would think that in the mid- to late-1980s, especially, Yoshi could have rather easily gotten a job as a martial arts instructor. I mean "McDojos" were popping up everywhere back then after the Karate Kid craze, and as I understand it the industry was very lax as far as certifications and credentials. He basically could have walked in, thrown a few high kicks, and gotten a job. Problem solved.

It's just one of those things where the writers weren't thinking about plot holes, they simply needed to keep the story moving towards its predetermined destination.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
A "penniless" man who could afford a one way ticket from Japan to NYC? I just looked it up, that **** costs 1 408 USD. Besides, not having money is great incentive to get a jobit.
Heh, the Archie comic showed this in Yoshi's backstory in a later issue. He snuck on board the cargo of a plane to fly to America with the luggage. So he had no money. It's a fun detail the show overlooked.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I prefer to think that FW Hamato Yoshi figured the Foot Clan would find him and kill him if they ever knew his location, so even in America, he couldn't risk being in public. I mean... that was basically Shredder's plan anyway, and somehow he still was able to expose him with that mutagen.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #24
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
A "penniless" man who could afford a one way ticket from Japan to NYC? I just looked it up, that **** costs 1 408 USD. Besides, not having money is great incentive to get a job
Yoshi was mentioned as becoming penniless after moving to the states, so he could've still afforded the ticket beforehand.

That being said though, I do have to wonder how a man who was seemingly well off in Japan become so extremely poor in America till the point where he couldn't even get a minimum wage job?

My theory is that after arriving in the states, Yoshi blew all of his loot on hookers and Cocaine to deal with his shame, after which he was so badly broke and dishevelled that he both couldn't and wouldn't want to live a normal life
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well keep in mind this was 1987. Yoshi was a poor Asian immigrant who moved to NY most likely illegally. I don't think he ever became a U.S. citizen, so he probably feared deportation and likely could not get a real job. I just hope Yoshi never met Trump on the street in 1987.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

New York has always been a sanctuary city, you jabroni. They are like destination Numero Uno for illegal immigrants specifically for that reason. If Yoshi had settled in someplace like Mississippi he might have had a rough time getting set up, but nobody in NYC was gonna be checking his papers.

He'd at the very least be able to set up a hot dog cart or something. He'd'a been fine.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #27
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
He'd at the very least be able to set up a hot dog cart or something. He'd'a been fine.
Sushi cart... Call it "Sewer Sushi," but use the Japanese word for "sewer." And don't ask where he gets his ingredients.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:44 AM   #28
sleeplessknight
Random Punk

[QUOTE=IndigoErth;1837331Maybe he wasn't actually a legal resident and ended up finding it difficult to get housing and employment?[/QUOTE]

LOL. Turns out Splinters true nemesis was in fact not the Shredder but Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

He lived in the sewers out of fear of being deported.
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #29
pferreira
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The original objective of the TMNT 1987 show was to be an advertising vehicle to sell toys. And so at the time I think it was more important for a studio to literally "just get an episode done" than it was to conform to a traditional or contiguous story structure.
That's a very cynical way of looking at it. Even Season 1 set out with an objective other than to sell toys which was set out the origins of the TMNT and its world (which it did).

Quote:
Can you imagine being so unwilling to work you'd rather live in a storm drain than get a job to rent an apartment?
He left his home country an outcast, no credit so he was homeless.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote