The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Instant Gratification

Some of you might have noticed how instant gratification has become more and more of a thing in the past 10 years or so. A lot of it can be attributed to how fast information is shared nowadays and due to social networks.

On one hand, it's perfectly understandable and fine that technology has evolved and we can get some things like news faster than ever, but on the other hand, instant gratification is making us less patient and more lazy as a society overall, I feel. Not everything yet comes to you in like a couple of minutes.

Would you say we're heading into a point where our society is becoming so spoiled and used to taking instant gratification for granted that we'll just become lazy slobs in a few decades and no longer find motivation to go the extra mile to do something that requires a bit of more work and patience?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Yes, unless there's money involved.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:46 AM   #3
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
...we'll just become lazy slobs in a few decades and no longer find motivation to go the extra mile to do something that requires a bit of more work and patience?
I kind of feel that way now.

Though one bit of anecdotal evidence I can offer is that some things just take time to do correctly. It's nice to have things instantly sometimes, but if you want something done right, you have to take your time.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 AM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I was so confused because Galactus made a thread with the exact same name not too long ago (it was tmnt related, though).

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I kind of feel that way now.

Though one bit of anecdotal evidence I can offer is that some things just take time to do correctly. It's nice to have things instantly sometimes, but if you want something done right, you have to take your time.
That's a lesson I learned at university. Seriously, guys. Avoid procrastinating as much as you can.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

On the topic of the thread, I find that one area in which many especially bad in regards to Instant Gratification is food.

Not only are many people not finding time to sit down and eat meals properly with their families, but are willing to waste money on quick take-aways and convenience stores rather than cooking their own food.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
On the topic of the thread, I find that one area in which many especially bad in regards to Instant Gratification is food.

Not only are many people not finding time to sit down and eat meals properly with their families, but are willing to waste money on quick take-aways and convenience stores rather than cooking their own food.
It's funny because eating out or ordering food everyday ends up being more expensive.

I'm not exactly a chef, but cooking isn't hard to learn. You can easily learn how to cook rice, pasta or grill meat. But tbh, I was SHOCKED when I met a lot of older adults who couldn't do basic things such as use a toaster. Including women who were hired by elders who couldn't do things on their own anymore(showering, cooking, sit on the toilet, etc). You'd think they'd know how to toast two slices of bread without burning them to a crisp. I learned that on like my 2nd try. Not exactly rocket science. Same for heating up stuff in a microwave and what kind of stuff YOU CANNOT put in the microwave. Yet some didn't know that either.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Would you say we're heading into a point where our society is becoming so spoiled and used to taking instant gratification for granted that we'll just become lazy slobs in a few decades and no longer find motivation to go the extra mile to do something that requires a bit of more work and patience?
God yes. I already see a lot that now, esp when I was working a regular retail job and seeing the behavior of customers. And kids these days... don't even get me started. They seem to take instant gratification to a whole new entitled level.

I generally have pretty good patience, within reason. And not really one to want much instant gratification... if I have to wait a while for something I want (like a pre-order that takes a while for example), so be it. I don't tend to mind the wait.

Though I'm sure we're almost all guilty of feeling the microwave, that thing once created for far faster cooking, is taking too long. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
God yes. I already see a lot that now, esp when I was working a regular retail job and seeing the behavior of customers. And kids these days... don't even get me started. They seem to take instant gratification to a whole new entitled level.

I generally have pretty good patience, within reason. And not really one to want much instant gratification... if I have to wait a while for something I want (like a pre-order that takes a while for example), so be it. I don't tend to mind the wait.

Though I'm sure we're almost all guilty of feeling the microwave, that thing once created for far faster cooking, is taking too long. lol
Kids nowadays grow up with tablets and smartphones as gifts. Meaning they can have access to the internet anytime from very young. Or they get gift cards and buy some games on sales online. When I was a kid I couldn't do any of that. And the lastest cutting edge mobile phone was Nokia 3310. It was also easy for my mother to punish me and forbid me from playing games or going on the internet if I misbehaved or it got past my bed time. Nowadays it's probably harder for parents to do that.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, well. That's why the only sure form of discipline is and always has been, "The back of the Ring Hand". But they don't let you do THAT anymore, either.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote