The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Why is cultural appropriation okay during St. Patrick's Day?

Why is not okay to wear a poncho and sombrero for Cinco de Mayo, or other culture costumes on Halloween, but okay to dress green and like a leprechaun for St. Patrick's Day when one's not Irish?

Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Because Orange Man Bad.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Because "Cultural Appropriation" is some made-up liberal nonsense, and people can dress and act in whatever manner makes them happy on any day of the year that they choose, as long as they're not causing physical harm to anyone.

People have been adopting clothing and hairstyles from other cultures for thousands of years, both for fun and for simple freedom of expression. No problem.

We raise a generation to believe everyone is unique and special (and delicate), and suddenly everyone needs to stay in their lane. Bite my ass.

As a Mick, I personally don't care if anyone wants to paint themselves green, dance with a shillelagh, put buckles on their hat and drink until they puke. Have fun and don't hurt yaself, that's all I ask.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I've seen quite a bit of blog pieces and articles by Irish people that isn't too keen on how Americans portray and celebrate St. Patrick's Day, it's fairly recent that the holiday is celebrated in similar fashion in Ireland like in USA, as it used to be a more subdued holiday with going to church and spending time with family (and pubs was closed).

But, good for those 1/16th Irish folks having an excuse to get completely **** faced on green beer while wearing a ginger wig

I'm kinda glad Americans with Norwegian heritage don't get too crazy like that, they just seem to consume a unhealthy amount of lye-fish, moreso then what we do in Norway. Cause the stuff is nasty
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Preacher put it best. As Billy Bitcher said to Wee Hughey, "St. Patrick's Day has nothing to do with being Irish; it has everything to do with being American."

Are the stereotypes fair? I'm not sure. In my personal experience, do most (if not all) Irish folks drink too much, have a hair-trigger temper, and throw down at the drop of a hat? Based on my friends and family, Abso-f*cking-lutely, and I'd be lying if I claimed otherwise. Have I met "everyone" with a drop of Irish blood in them? Nope! But most of the ones I've met definitely play to type. So frankly, people can say and do whatever they want and I'm not gonna argue with 'em.

People go way overboard with it but whatever. Most "holidays" aren't real, or at least, are far removed from whatever their original intent was anyway. People have very few reasons to celebrate anything anymore, so whatever gets 'em through another week, says I.

Plus Guinness should always be in fashion or you just ain't living right.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Beer is gross. If it isn't sake or mead, it needs to be fruity as **** or over 30% alcohol content.

The only beer I've found remotely palatable was a red beer a buddy brewed himself.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

Anybody who has to reduce their alcohol to a state of "liquid candy" shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

Alcohol tastes like sh*t because that's nature's way of making sure you don't overdo it. Ever hang out with someone who's a f*cking Schnapps drinker? Christ almighty, those people are goddamn DANGEROUS. "Whoooo, this stuff is sooo good, I feel GREAT!" Next thing you know they're down two whole bottles and fistfighting the whole bar.

After X number of beers (or whiskeys), you start tasting battery acid and that's your cue to call it a night. That's Nature's Design. We shouldn't be trying to "outsmart" it with fruit flavorings and peppermint.

I'm the only one in a whole family of Irish drunks who can slam down 12 beers and then not drink again for a month, or two, or six, depending. The biggest difference I've noticed between me and the ones who can't stop, is I don't try and make it a "fun and delicious" experience. Those "mixed drinks" enthusiasts, though... hooo boy.

If you don't make the Whiskey Face, you ain't doin' it proper.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Anybody who has to reduce their alcohol to a state of "liquid candy" shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

Alcohol tastes like sh*t because that's nature's way of making sure you don't overdo it. Ever hang out with someone who's a f*cking Schnapps drinker? Christ almighty, those people are goddamn DANGEROUS. "Whoooo, this stuff is sooo good, I feel GREAT!" Next thing you know they're down two whole bottles and fistfighting the whole bar.

After X number of beers (or whiskeys), you start tasting battery acid and that's your cue to call it a night. That's Nature's Design. We shouldn't be trying to "outsmart" it with fruit flavorings and peppermint.

I'm the only one in a whole family of Irish drunks who can slam down 12 beers and then not drink again for a month, or two, or six, depending. The biggest difference I've noticed between me and the ones who can't stop, is I don't try and make it a "fun and delicious" experience. Those "mixed drinks" enthusiasts, though... hooo boy.

If you don't make the Whiskey Face, you ain't doin' it proper.
Reminds me of an episode of M*A*S*H when Hawkeye says to Radar, "What you think we drink this stuff for the taste?"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I rarely drink and I don't really like alcohol except for a few things and even then it's not something I'd seek out just to drink it. But I still can hold my liquor, much better then some of my friends that party each weekend like they're still 14 and it's the end of the world. (It's not a party until someone steals a car, or all the door knobs are missing in the house).

But when it comes to beer, I'll rather down a bottle of Fireball then have one can of beer. I don't get hangovers anyway so might as well get the better stuff, taste and %.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:10 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

I only drink beer as far as alcohol is concerned. I've always thin, and thus my alcohol tolerance isn't very high. Back in my early 20s, 3 beers would get me drunk. Ever since I put on some weight and stopped being scrawny to just being a bit thin, my tolerance seems to have increased, and a few beers no longer get me drunk and I just feel bloated/full after drinking 2-3 beers.

It's fine to enjoy a beer or two occasionally since it's rather weak compared to wine and spirits. A lot of people can easily drink a couple of beers as if it was just juice. Also, apparently it was safer to drink beer than water back in the Middle Ages lmao

Anyway, isn't this thread kind of political? Political threads aren't allowed anymore.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 AM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Until the usual suspects derails it, I think threads like this might be more of a grey zone. This isn't a political discussion as in left wing vs right wing or bickering about the two right wing parties in the US.

Cultural appropriation in of itself is a neutral term
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #12
snake
Return of the King

Because the Irish should be snatched up and put in little showcase jars and forced to do silly dances for the world to see.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
Voltron
Ableist

There's literal books written about this subject. There's so little controversy over this is doesn't even need to be discussed.

You're standing at a party asking whether or not this is offensive with a bunch of Irish people looking at you wondering why you've gotta kill the buzz.

Source: Am Irish American. Like. . . super Irish American. And I'm good friends with the half backs who love the day, too. So I don't know what assholes you're talking to, but they need to grab a pint and loosen up.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #14
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Definitely Irish blood here. I'm a Mick by birth, all the way back to the 1840's in the US, and further in Eire, by my ancestry. It shows, too. Got the skin, the temper, the stubbornness, and, in bright sunlight, the reddish hair tint. Eyes too, since mine are blue bordering on green/grey depending on the light and my mood. And size. I joke that my whole fam is short because there are leprechauns hiding in my family tree, but it's not far off the mark. We have that fighting Irish build- short, wiry, and compact but stronger than we look.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Why is not okay to wear a poncho and sombrero for Cinco de Mayo, or other culture costumes on Halloween, but okay to dress green and like a leprechaun for St. Patrick's Day when one's not Irish?
Don't you worry, "they" will get around to that soon enough, too.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

When I was a kid I dressed up as a pirate and as a cowboy a couple of times on Carnaval. Is that still ok?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I don't have the red hair, and I'm more Scottish than Irish, but who even really gives a crap about St. Patrick's Day anyway?

Beer sucks. Fireball is NASTY, but I hate that red-hot cinnamon candy taste.

Been meaning to try schnapps, though...

I guess Leo and I can't drink together, because I'm all about the sorority sweet drinks. Me and CandyKappa will be good bar buddies, though. On the rare occasions that we drink.

Myself, if I have a shot of rum or whiskey, it knocks me out pretty quickly. Which means any creativity I planned to exercise that evening is shot (pardon the pun).
Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Do the Irish dress like leprechauns and primarily wear green? I didn't know that was a cultural thing for them.

Pretty sure no culture owns a color (which I recently read was supposedly originally blue, not green) and dressing as mythological beings isn't really much of an issue for anyone anywhere so long as it isn't a being that's worshiped or revered.

Decide to dress up in a old-time/traditional attire, etc. and basically anything that may make you look foolish doing it if not Irish (and likewise for any other culture)... now you're appropriating.

But pretty sure little is being done by most people on St. Patrick's Day that falls into that category. (All I bothered with was wearing a TMNT shirt because green.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-21-2019 at 03:05 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Why is buzzword intended to shame white people ok when the logical victim are white people?
Because they're white people.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Do the Irish dress like leprechauns and primarily wear green? I didn't know that was a cultural thing for them.

Pretty sure no culture owns a color (which I recently read was supposedly originally blue, not green) and dressing as mythological beings isn't really much of an issue for anyone anywhere so long as it isn't a being that's worshiped or revered.

Decide to dress up in a old-time/traditional attire, etc. and basically anything that may make you look foolish doing it if not Irish (and likewise for any other culture)... now you're appropriating.

But pretty sure little is being done by most people on St. Patrick's Day that falls into that category. (All I bothered with was wearing a TMNT shirt because green.)
It's seems to be more of a American thing, or Americans with Irish descent. It's fairly recent in Ireland that celebrating St. Patrick's Day as a dress in green and drink 'til you vomit type of event, which seems to be "culturally appropriated" from USA to appease tourists

At least that's the impression I get from googling what people in Ireland think of St. Patrick's Day and how it's celebrated.

http://entangled.com/st-patricks-day...united-states/

The closest I've been in association with the holiday was a coworker wore a green top hat at work with a four leaf clover pinned to it, and he had a pot of gold (spray painted rocks), and every customer that bought a scratch-off lottery ticket got a piece of gold.

Edit. Apparently, the first time me and my partner was in Manchester, we came upon a St. Paddy parade/event and I got a lot of attention since I'm a ginger, but I have no recollection of this.