The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #81
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
MST3K is really the only thing I like that's like that. Joe Bob Briggs too. But I usually don't like jokey criticisms made for laughs. Not from bloggers nor you tubers. I just don't care for it.

I want you to know that opinions can be conditional. I can like MST3K and not like armchair critics (bloggers, You Tubers, podcasters) nor things like Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers. That is a thing a person can do.

Also, to be fair, it's not really Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers that I don't like. It's more about the people who watch it. Those people who like to nitpick tiny stuff like lens flares, raspy voices, and high heels.

:
Okay I never said anything about you liking MS3TK over Cinema sins so I have no idea where this is coming from I just thought it was kinda strange how you referred HISHE and Honest Trailers as intellectuals. Also it seems you should be focusing on the nitpickers then the entertainers.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:48 AM   #82
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
In film school, whenever they would show an older movie, 80% of the class would walk out. I would face palm every time and think "what a bunch of tools," imagining film school students in 50 to 70 years walking out of The Avengers because it was "old, boring and had outdated visual effects."

Even as a kid, I never cared if things were "dated" or "old."Not even my age was like that. I've always found it kinda babyish to not watch a movie or play a game or listen to a song that is "old," like refusing to eat the vegetables your mother was trying to feed you. And I find it a little naive whenever I hear someone use the word "dated" as a criticism. No freaking d'uh. Everything made in any era is a product of its era.

Actually, often I find it easier to watch a movie from a different era because then you don't have all the trailers, hype, and so on working against the film, and I get to look at it with fresh eyes. But that is just me.
I had usually no idea how old a book, TV-series or film was when I was about 10.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #83
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Really? People who actually paid to go to film school would walk out because the instructor showed an older movie? Are those people stupid? Isn't the whole point to teach them how movies were made?
I've witnessed worse than this. On my university course hardly anyone ever showed up to the weekly film screening. You'd be lucky if someone showed up to put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #84
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I had usually no idea how old a book, TV-series or film was when I was about 10.
The age of something isn't really something that matters. Even when I was a teen, I was listening to classic rock and contemporary. I was watching old shows and new shows. It didn't really matter to me. Why cling to just right now when there are decades worth of movies, music, shows, and games to dive into? But that's just me.

Quote:
o put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students.
In my experience, survey classes like that are usually attendance based. But, you're right, the professor would just grab the films from he school library. There was one thing we as class hated unanimously and that was a several-part documentary we had to watch called The Story of Film. I love documentaries. I love film. I love documentaries about film. But that was the most dreadfully smug piece of crap I've ever seen, mostly thanks to the narrator.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #85
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I've witnessed worse than this. On my university course hardly anyone ever showed up to the weekly film screening. You'd be lucky if someone showed up to put the VHS tape in. As hardly anyone watched the weekly film it was always left to me to explain the plot. In fairness the films were available in the library to be watched in people's own time but still a lot of times that didn't even happen with the students.
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #86
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process. We had a lot of students who refused to watch anything that wasn't a blockbuster and the other extreme, hated anything with a budget. The instructors at my school encouraged this behavior by constantly trash talking the latest big budget film without having seen it. Their only basis for the hate was that the film was made under the establishment. This being ironic because not one of my teachers showed us their work when asked. One even snapped at me and told me she didn't have to.

I say if you're going to be a teacher you should be able to display you have knowledge in what you're teaching. Not sure what I expected. My "school" was sued several times for illegal practices so yeah. . .there's that.
I guess the instructor hates movies done by Marvel Studios, That's an establishment that's been doing extremely well, Sounds like hes more into Indie films.

The 1990 movie is an indie movie itself, Maybe you should mention it to them.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #87
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, was your school a chain of schools. Mine was and my time there started off great, but the quality of the teaching unfortunately degraded after lawsuits and issues with the Government allegedly, which led to budget cuts and laying off instructors (the better ones IMO), and then ultimately deciding to close the local branch down.

I had one teacher who couldn't really articulate or communicate his lessons very well, which was very frustrating because you really want to learn stuff and then you go on to the advance classes where some students were lucky enough to get a more effective instructor, while some of us needed brushing up.

One of my last coarses, the instructor didn't teach us. She put on You Tube videos, which taught us. We paid for a professional grade coarse and got You Tube videos.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #88
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I paid insane amounts of money to go to film school. I can't imagine just not showing up to class or doing assignments. We watched a lot of things I wasn't interested in but it's all part of the learning process.
We watched all types of films but people's part time jobs or a lack of interest prevented them from making any effort. Their education came second. Kind of makes you wonder why do the degree in the first place apart from the whole "oh it's Film Studies, easy degree, all I have to do is watch films!"
Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #89
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
We watched all types of films but people's part time jobs or a lack of interest prevented them from making any effort. Their education came second. Kind of makes you wonder why do the degree in the first place apart from the whole "oh it's Film Studies, easy degree, all I have to do is watch films!"
It takes an adult mind to make it through working and going to school full time. Also, you have those who don't really have to pay anything yet and are used to the restiveness of high school and suddenly get to an environment where skipping class "isn't a big deal." To them, they feel more free than they have ever been in their entire life, but you kinda have to get that out of your system before you can be successful.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #90
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
The age of something isn't really something that matters. Even when I was a teen, I was listening to classic rock and contemporary. I was watching old shows and new shows. It didn't really matter to me. Why cling to just right now when there are decades worth of movies, music, shows, and games to dive into?
I also did that as a teenager, but then I would usually check out which year it was dated. But as I child, it was different.

I recall having a Tintin cassette-tape about Tintin and his friends travelling by spacecraft to Moon, and Tintin claiming he was the first human on the Moon. I always thought that was stupid when in reality, Neil Armstrong was first in July 1969 and the story should be based on that. The ride was depicted as not too unlike the real Apollo Project (except no Lunar Module and no water splashdown when returning to Earth). While I knew the year of Neil Armstrong's landing, I hat no idea that Tintin story was dated 1953 or something.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #91
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
MST3K is really the only thing I like that's like that. Joe Bob Briggs too. But I usually don't like jokey criticisms made for laughs. Not from bloggers nor you tubers. I just don't care for it.

I want you to know that opinions can be conditional. I can like MST3K and not like armchair critics (bloggers, You Tubers, podcasters) nor things like Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers. That is a thing a person can do.

Also, to be fair, it's not really Cinema Sins and Honest Trailers that I don't like. It's more about the people who watch it. Those people who like to nitpick tiny stuff like lens flares, raspy voices, and high heels.

I am not sure why this a big deal. I was defending TMNT '90 and stating that it's stupid to criticize a 90s movie for being a 90s movie. I mean, forget the story and the characters and all the things that are actually important, because they mention Harrison Ford and Moonlighting and Danny has a Sony Walkman and the Burger King logo is old -- because that is what people clearly care about.
They also missed the Channing Tatum joke, it went right over their heads. It's not that April would be 'arrested for fantasizing about someone that doesn't exist', it's the fact that back when the movie was made Channing Tatum was like 10 or 12, so April would go to jail for openly admitting she fantasized about a kid. Geez you people, think a little.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #92
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
They also missed the Channing Tatum joke, it went right over their heads. It's not that April would be 'arrested for fantasizing about someone that doesn't exist', it's the fact that back when the movie was made Channing Tatum was like 10 or 12, so April would go to jail for openly admitting she fantasized about a kid. Geez you people, think a little.
It was also about the absurdity that people almost expect a movie from the past to be a movie of today. I have seen contemporary movies where girls mention Channing Tatum in the same way. What will Channing Tatum look like in 20 to 30 years? Part of me thinks that teens and twenty-somethings at that point will be like "Channing who?"Or "Oooo, he's so old!"

A lot of movies that are quoted as being timeless are still very much of their time. The original, classic Die Hard is an example. It has a Run DMC song. It's clearly set in the yuppie/Reagan era. Women have that puffy, big, curly hairstyle. The villain mentions John Waye and John McClain gets his catchphrase from Roy Rogers. (Note: I don't use these examples as criticisms, but as fact.)

The same will be said of movies of today. The question is, is it wrong for a movie to be of its time or is an audience wrong for being closed minded towards movies being dated? Personally, I lean towards the latter.

Then again, movies are my main passion and my focus in life, a craft I am studying. I take films seriously. The first film isn't for me just a part of a franchise I love but my very link to it. It's the main reason why I am here, whereas for others it may be the comics or the animated series.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #93
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
I got the joke, I was just making a joke about how ridiculous it was to suggest someone could go to jail for simply thinking something.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #94
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I got the joke, I was just making a joke about how ridiculous it was to suggest someone could go to jail for simply thinking something.
You may be taking it way too literally. The point was that a 1990s film doesn't cater to a 2017 audience. Channing Tatum may not be the star Harrison Ford was/is, but he was the first person I could think of that a young woman in 2017 would obsess over.

Now it wasn't a very good joke, but who cares? It's what it was trying to say that was more important. It's about how outlandish it is that people expect April to dream of some who is "dreamy" now, not in 1990. Now if anyone should be nitpicking something, it should be that logic. It's weird that people watch a 90's movie and nitpick that it makes 90's references, as if that's more important than the story, characters, etc.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #95
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Exactly. A decade from now people can watch OOTS and be like 'oh, that's back when Megan Fox was relevant' or making fun of how outdated the technology is.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #96
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Exactly. A decade from now people can watch OOTS and be like 'oh, that's back when Megan Fox was relevant' or making fun of how outdated the technology is.
Even with Jurassic Park, you can see the outdatedness of its groundbreaking effects. It happens to every movie. Of course, with JP, the effects are used well and are meant to be conform to live action environments as opposed to where CG can sometimes get out of hand these days by trying to get the live action elements to conform to the CG, which is why most of the CG in films like it and Twister still work very well despite easily spotted digital textures and particles. JP is also a good film experience, which goes to show what is truly important, the film experience as a whole.

It's really how the CG is used. The first Independence Day used a combination of miniatures and CG. The new film uses a lot more CG and has sequences that, in theory, are bigger in scope. Yet you feel the scope better in the first film. That's because when the ships first appear, they appear in the real world and we are often on ground level watching with the pedestrians. The new film didn't do that as much. Most will probably blame the CG, but it is really what is done to ground us into the story that makes or breaks a film experience.

With TMNT '90, it's not just the fact that they used Jim Henson's suits. There is so much more to it that makes these characters feel real. The moment between Donnie and Mikey as they wait for pizza, talking about what Splinter said. The scene where they find their lair destroyed and, essentially, their father gone. The campfire sequence. The moments between Danny and Splinter. The later scene when Casey and Danny rescue Splinter. It's the emotional integrity that sells the characters. Without that genuine quality, they'd just be guys in suits, like the kangaroo-like guys in Warriors of Virtue or the aliens from Spaced Invaders. (By the way, I wonder if this is the first time in a long, long time anyone has mentioned or remembered Warriors of Virtue and Spaced Invaders )

That's why the 1990 film has yet to be topped. It's the one that has done the best job at treating the characters like real people with real emotions.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #97
THGhost
Puppet Master

Some of the references may be a little dated for them to understand, but everything else should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The young kids of today might be confused about Danny's "Sony Walkman" as well as April's 80's/90's hairstyle, but other than that it should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
No, they wouldn't.
Are you kidding? Of course they would.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #98
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Some of the references may be a little dated for them to understand, but everything else should be fine.

Are you kidding? Of course they would.
I watched reruns of Batman, Green Acres, Leave it to Beaver, etc., and I was never confused by anything in those series. I just liked them. I don't think kids would be all that confused by the stuff in the 1990 film.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #99
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I watched reruns of Batman, Green Acres, Leave it to Beaver, etc., and I was never confused by anything in those series. I just liked them. I don't think kids would be all that confused by the stuff in the 1990 film.
Exactly. They may not 100% know what they are, but they'll have a vague idea that's it's like 'what they used in the old days'. You forget that most kids have parents that are still using outdated technology. It's usually the kids nowadays showing us old folks how the latest iPhone works.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #100
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
It takes an adult mind to make it through working and going to school full time. Also, you have those who don't really have to pay anything yet and are used to the restiveness of high school and suddenly get to an environment where skipping class "isn't a big deal." To them, they feel more free than they have ever been in their entire life, but you kinda have to get that out of your system before you can be successful.
This was university and like myself they paid to be there so yeah not sure why they wouldn't get their monies worth.

Tags
1990 film