The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #21
ranger_scout
Mad Scientist
 
ranger_scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I appricate this movie for one reason, and one reason alone; it finally gave me my childhood dream of live-action Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang. Now, they can reboot with a Mirage centered version, and I can watch it happily.

And to those who hate this movie; stop wishing it didn't exist. It got the Fred Wolf characters out of the way, and it's failure hopefully paves the way for a more 'ninja/martial arts' version the next time around. It was the egg that had to be broken before you make the omelette.
Those are my thoughts as well. I am finally glad that there was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film featuring those characters. It should've happened a long time ago. The four actors who played the turtles really brought great personalities to the characters. I even gave Johnny Knoxville a pass in the first film because he made the role his own.

As I stated earlier what happened to these films is exactly what happened to the live-action Scooby-Doo and Smurfs films. The first movies in those franchises were hits despite negative reviews from critics, but there was little interest for their sequels when they were released in theaters.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #22
Coola Yagami
Emperor
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,489
But... these aren't FW films.... if so they got it all horribly wrong. This is not a FW film just because Beop, Rocksteady and Krang happen to be in it in the same way it's not a Mirage film because Baxter and Karai happen to be in it. It was just a Bay film, plain and simple.
__________________
http://markandpaigerodriguez.blogspot.com/ Our blog on random stuff from TMNT to Batman comics to whatever else hits our mind. Also a member of the Heroes in a Halfact Podcast series.
our video game review Youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameMasters09
v=ufYzGoquORs[/url]
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:58 AM   #23
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
But... these aren't FW films.... if so they got it all horribly wrong. This is not a FW film just because Beop, Rocksteady and Krang happen to be in it in the same way it's not a Mirage film because Baxter and Karai happen to be in it. It was just a Bay film, plain and simple.
No, but the second one does emulate the formula for an FW episode.

Clutter it with poorly thought out sub-plots, do not give adequate explaination for certain key elements, give an explaination that just makes things worse for others, have an open ending that basically lead nowhere and sprinkle the entire run time with unfunny jokes. Then there's of course the fact that they really played up Bebop and Rocksteady, which when you really think about it, only the FW cartoon did before it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #24
Shellington
Thug
 
Shellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Posts: 71
It's nice to see some appreciation on this forum.

Anyway, the two films were okay, but I'd say OOTS was more enjoyable than the first film.

The first film was some sci-fi take TMNT, but fell short, because IMO it tried to do the IDW origin without reincarnation and without Hamato Yoshi.

The second film was a lot more enjoyable (I enjoy Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang, and they didn't disappoint me here), and did a little more on the drama side with the schism between the brothers over becoming human. It pretty much embraced its "being out there" nature, which I think helped out.


TMNT has been many different things over its long history - a fun cartoon, a noir tale, a martial arts story - that while its variety keeps it popular, it's likely impossible to put all of that into one film and please everyone.
__________________
"We're ninjas." Leo, the Samurai
"We're mutants!" Raph, the Outsider
"Technically, we're turtles." Donnie, the Nerd
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Shellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #25
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
It's nice to see some appreciation on this forum.

Anyway, the two films were okay, but I'd say OOTS was more enjoyable than the first film.

The first film was some sci-fi take TMNT, but fell short, because IMO it tried to do the IDW origin without reincarnation and without Hamato Yoshi.

The second film was a lot more enjoyable (I enjoy Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang, and they didn't disappoint me here), and did a little more on the drama side with the schism between the brothers over becoming human. It pretty much embraced its "being out there" nature, which I think helped out.


TMNT has been many different things over its long history - a fun cartoon, a noir tale, a martial arts story - that while its variety keeps it popular, it's likely impossible to put all of that into one film and please everyone.
'Different' is not necessarily a good defense though. As said before, the writing, acting, consistency, and overall execution is what kept these movies from being an enjoyable experience. The sequel may have added a bit of "fanservice" but the fanservice either had little presence to the story and was just added fluff (Krang) or badly executed (Bebop and Rocksteady). It may have been their first time appearing on the big screen but we would like to see them given better treatment or don't add them at all. What may have worked back then, may not work in today's times. Based on what I've read of IDW so far, they're incorporated pretty well. The chances of getting a movie based on that comic book line are slim but if we do get lucky enough to get one, we'll likely be looking back at OotS and go "eh."
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
The second film was a lot more enjoyable (I enjoy Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang, and they didn't disappoint me here), and did a little more on the drama side with the schism between the brothers over becoming human. It pretty much embraced its "being out there" nature, which I think helped out.


Quote:
TMNT has been many different things over its long history - a fun cartoon, a noir tale, a martial arts story
I am curious, what is the "noir tale," and what is the "martial arts story"?

Quote:
that while its variety keeps it popular,
What variety? Everything that's been coming out since the Nick acquisition is pretty samey, to varying degrees of silliness.

Quote:
it's likely impossible to put all of that into one film and please everyone.
God, they shouldn't ever even want to do that. That's a horrible idea. What we do know is that what they've been trying to do for the last 4 or 5 movies didn't work and isn't working. Time to try something else.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Or having the turtles travel through space and meet triceratons, I mean this stuff would not fly for the general audiences and it should've been done here.
That could've been a third film.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #28
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I am curious, what is the "noir tale," and what is the "martial arts story"?
Unmentionables? Maybe? It's a bit of a stretch. As for martial arts... Well, there are stories that focus on the training and there's a straight up tournament arc in the 4Kids series. So it's not that off base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What variety? Everything that's been coming out since the Nick acquisition is pretty samey, to varying degrees of silliness.
It's just the same bull I've been hearing on the internet for years, usually just a shallow defense for the FW cartoon's extreme disregard of the source material. It usually refers to stuff made even before the buyout but even that doesn't have much variety.

If you look back to the start until now, this is what we get.
  1. A Daredevil/X-Men inspired comic.
  2. A cartoon that pretty much ignores the comic beyond convention in favor of making a comedy and barely using any characters, imagery or events from the comics. Instead relying on new ones and cartoon clichés.
  3. A kiddy Comic that is pretty much just the cartoon with a much better story a slightly different character roster that got more different over time.
  4. A series of Video Games that are made almost entirely in the style of the cartoon.
  5. A Movie that uses events from the events from the original comic and frames it roughly like an episode of the cartoon.
  6. A second movie that is pretty much a pseudo-adaptation of the cartoon.
  7. A third movie that has almost nothing to do with anything, the script might have passed for an episode of the cartoon though.
  8. Later seasons of the cartoon that tries to have a more serious tone but fails spectacularily.
  9. A Live-Action show that is sort of a sequel to the movies.
  10. A second cartoon that's pretty much a remix of the original comic made more kid oriented.
  11. A fourth movie that tries to emulate the tone of the comic beter than before but features none of the events.
  12. A comic that is a hybrid of the original comic, the first cartoon, the kiddy comic and the second cartoon. Leaning towards a darker tone.
  13. A Third cartoon with a disjointed tone and really bizarre blend of older cherrypicked material, mostly warped beyond recognisability.
  14. A Reboot movie that can more or less be described as a remake of the first movie, just with more action and a lack of earnesty.
  15. A sequel that is basically a bastardised adaptation of the first cartoon and possibly the worst of the movies.

That's about as extensive as I can make it without being bothersome to read. Point is, not that much "reinvention", just a struggle of what to keep from previous versions, especially in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
God, they shouldn't ever even want to do that. That's a horrible idea. What we do know is that what they've been trying to do for the last 4 or 5 movies didn't work and isn't working. Time to try something else.
More or less, yeah.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 06-17-2017 at 09:20 AM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 AM   #29
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
[*]A third movie that has almost nothing to do with anything, the script might have passed for an episode of the cartoon though.
There is an episode from season 7 called "Legend of Koji". No idea if the film was written before.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #30
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
There is an episode from season 7 called "Legend of Koji". No idea if the film was written before.
You might as well say it's based on issues 46 and 47, those were definitely made before and have slightly more in common with the movie. Still, I don't think it's intentional.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:33 AM   #31
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
You might as well say it's based on issues 46 and 47, those were definitely made before and have slightly more in common with the movie. Still, I don't think it's intentional.
I had no idea of that, but taking the turtles to adventures in a samurai environment isn't surprising.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
If you look back to the start until now, this is what we get.
  1. A Daredevil/X-Men inspired comic.
  2. A cartoon that pretty much ignores the comic beyond convention in favor of making a comic and barely using any characters, imagery or events from the comics. Instead relying on new ones and cartoon clichés.
  3. A kiddy Comic that is pretty much just the cartoon with a much better story a slightly different character roster that got more different over time.
  4. A series of Video Games that are made almost entirely in the style of the cartoon.
  5. A Movie that uses events from the events from the original comic and frames it roughly like an episode of the cartoon.
  6. A second movie that is pretty much a pseudo-adaptation of the cartoon.
  7. A third movie that has almost nothing to do with anything, the script might have passed for an episode of the cartoon though.
  8. Later seasons of the cartoon that tries to have a more serious tone but fails spectacularily.
  9. A Live-Action show that is sort of a sequel to the movies.
  10. A second cartoon that's pretty much a remix of the original comic made more kid oriented.
  11. A fourth movie that tries to emulate the tone of the comic beter than before but features none of the events.
  12. A comic that is a hybrid of the original comic, the first cartoon, the kiddy comic and the second cartoon. Leaning towards a darker tone.
  13. A Third cartoon with a disjointed tone and really bizarre blend of older cherrypicked material, mostly warped beyond recognisability.
  14. A Reboot movie that can more or less be described as a remake of the first movie, just with more action and a lack of earnesty.
  15. A sequel that is basically a bastardised adaptation of the first cartoon and possibly the worst of the movies.
That's actually right about on the mark. Pretty darn close.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #33
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,661
The best part about these PD movies is that they're really, really forgettable. I honestly forgot they existed until I saw this thread. I've seen each one once (no desire to see them again) and I literally can't remember a thing from the first movie aside from the designs.


These movies feel like repressed memories that never really surface, because MONTHS pass between the times I remember these movies exist.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #34
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
The best part about these PD movies is that they're really, really forgettable. I honestly forgot they existed until I saw this thread. I've seen each one once (no desire to see them again) and I literally can't remember a thing from the first movie aside from the designs.


These movies feel like repressed memories that never really surface, because MONTHS pass between the times I remember these movies exist.
Do you say the same of all films, comics, books, TV series and whatever you don't like? Dou you forget it that easy.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #35
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
The best part about these PD movies is that they're really, really forgettable. I honestly forgot they existed until I saw this thread. I've seen each one once (no desire to see them again) and I literally can't remember a thing from the first movie aside from the designs.


These movies feel like repressed memories that never really surface, because MONTHS pass between the times I remember these movies exist.
Alright, let's take you up on that. It's been about a year since I saw either one, let's list off what I can remember.

This is how I remember the first one.
  1. The events are set in motion because Raph leaves a symbol behind after knocking a few containers around which April finds.
  2. Turtles save hostages from the Foot.
  3. April meets them and figures out they used to belong to her dad's lab and has to verify it with videos.
  4. April goes to Sacks who then plots to abduct the turtles with Shredder.
  5. Turtles takes April to their lair and splinter recaps the origin.
  6. All turtles except Raph gets abducted by Shredder.
  7. Sacks tells them the get stupid rich plan.
  8. Raph gets everyone back and we get the mountain chase.
  9. Up the tower and beat Shredder.

Here's how I remember the second one.
  1. Basketball followed by car chase.
  2. Shredder just goes along with the plan Krang gives him despite few details and no reason to trust him.
  3. Bebop and Rocksteady are mutated and April steals the mutagen.
  4. Shredder sends off B/R on a fetch quest.
  5. April, Casey, Mikey and Raph break into the police to steal mutagen after Leo refuses to let anyone use it, which leads to April and Casey getting stuck in holding for most of the movie.
  6. Turtles go after Bebop and Rocksteady, only to fail.
  7. Vernon steals evidence which frees April and Casey.
  8. Krang freezes Shredder and brings out the Technodrome.
  9. Turtles go to stop it while Casey and April take of Bebop and Rocksteady.
  10. They all win and are honored by the police.

This was just memory, tell me if I got anything wrong. (I might not be a very good person to use as an example for a "forgettable", I tend to have a pretty good memory).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #36
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Here's how I remember the second one.
  1. Basketball followed by car chase.
  2. Shredder just goes along with the plan Krang gives him despite few details and no reason to trust him.
  3. Bebop and Rocksteady are mutated and April steals the mutagen.
  4. Shredder sends off B/R on a fetch quest.
  5. April, Casey, Mikey and Raph break into the police to steal mutagen after Leo refuses to let anyone use it, which leads to April and Casey getting stuck in holding for most of the movie.
  6. Turtles go after Bebop and Rocksteady, only to fail.
  7. Vernon steals evidence which frees April and Casey.
  8. Krang freezes Shredder and brings out the Technodrome.
  9. Turtles go to stop it while Casey and April take of Bebop and Rocksteady.
  10. They all win and are honored by the police.

This was just memory, tell me if I got anything wrong. (I might not be a very good person to use as an example for a "forgettable", I tend to have a pretty good memory).
You forgot Bebop and Rocksteady going to Brazil, and the turtles jumping between aeroplanes in the second film.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #37
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
You forgot Bebop and Rocksteady going to Brazil, and the turtles jumping between aeroplanes in the second film.
I mentioned the fetch quest and that the Turtles went to stop them, I didn't forget them going to Brazil.

I did forget the airplane scene though, I misremembered that as the turtles meeting them near the river.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #38
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Alright, let's take you up on that. It's been about a year since I saw either one, let's list off what I can remember.
Did you watch the films in cinemas?
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #39
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Did you watch the films in cinemas?
Yes, I was bored, confused and pissed off all at the same time while watching it. I haven't watched it since and I have no desire to do so anytime soon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #40
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yes, I was bored, confused and pissed off all at the same time while watching it. I haven't watched it since and I have no desire to do so anytime soon.
I think it's easier to remember if you watch at cinema, since you don't do it so often. But of course, I can recall a lot of films I've seen on TV and video at home.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tmnt: out of the shadows

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.