The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

How do dimensional portals work? What is the science behind them?

Just think about it. You have a device that can open a portal, or dimensional gateway between space and time between two separate dimensions. Do you not realize the scientific achievement that such a thing could be possible?

Imagine walking through a portal opening and arriving in an entirely different universe. The original TMNT cartoon was like "Star Trek" for kids. I learned all about sci-fi from the original show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
sdp
Rave Raptor

Well thanks to the newer shows we now know these portals travel through space-time since it's not only the dimension that is different but also the years. 2012 can happen at the same time as 1988.

We also have different ways to travel the turtle multiverse, we've seen the dimensional portals, but we also have Cudley the Cowlick and I believe Renet can also transfer between dimensions, I used to like the idea of only "one" Renet existing in the multiverse but I don't think that's possible since there are some contradictions. The battle nexus tournament also seemed to only be "one" in the multiverse so however you get there was also dimension hopping.

PM me for an invite to the TechnoDrome Discord
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is there any consensus on what a "dimensional portal" is vs. an "inter-dimensional" portal? I would think an "inter-dimensional" means to travel somewhere else within one's own dimension but that... doesn't always seem to be the case?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Then there's also transdimensionsal and I think in the Usagi episode they called it Pandimensional.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Galactus
Mad Scientist

It's almost as if the writers of the '87 show made it up as they went along.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I think, if we're going to discuss something like this, we actually have to bring in physics. I have heard Michio Kaku and Degrasse Tyson speak at length on such matters.

This is of course, theoretical, but there is consensus, at least between these 2 great minds, that a portal like this would only be "trans-dimensional" when referring to "dimension hopping." To travel to another place in your own dimension would not be dimensional travel at all but would be teleportation. True dimensional traveling would be transporting yourself to another dimension and then also having the ability to come back again.

Kaku has said teleportation is a 2-part process...

1) break down and disassemble an organic being's molecules into nothing (non-existence)

2) reassemble those molecules in the exact same order in a different place.

We have part 1 down. Easy to do. Step into a particle destabilizer and you can literally disappear. You're dead and gone, but you actually completed the first part of the process, which means you actually did teleport... into non-existence. Except... all matter is energy and energy never dies, so when you disappear, you're not really gone, you just broke into a quadrillion pieces and went somewhere else.

That 2nd part though, reappearing and being reconstituted exactly how you were before, that's a little more tricky.

As far as portals go, it has been theorized that we are living in a multiverse and the barrier between this universe and another is somewhere in outer space. Some prominent astrophysicists theorize that @ the edge of this galaxy may be a "door" that leads to another universe. IF we could break the barrier and go through that door, we might enter into another universe/dimension.

It's all speculative because there doesn't appear to be a way to prove any of this.

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 11-25-2020 at 12:44 PM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
Some prominent astrophysicists theorize that @ the edge of this galaxy may be a "door" that leads to another universe. IF we could break the barrier and go through that door, we might enter into another universe/dimension.
There is nothing special with the edge of galaxies. Objects may pass through it all the time in any direction (for example, a star can be knocked out of a galaxy and become an intergalactic star, drifting in intergalactic space). One day the unmanned Pionner and Voyager spaceprobes will maybe also leave the Milky Way Galaxy.

What I've heard, some speculate about the supermassive black hole at the Milky Way Centre may be a wormhole to either other parts of the universe, or other universes, but it's just speculation.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
There is nothing special with the edge of galaxies. Objects may pass through it all the time in any direction (for example, a star can be knocked out of a galaxy and become an intergalactic star, drifting in intergalactic space). One day the unmanned Pionner and Voyager spaceprobes will maybe also leave the Milky Way Galaxy.

What I've heard, some speculate about the supermassive black hole at the Milky Way Centre may be a wormhole to either other parts of the universe, or other universes, but it's just speculation.
Absolutely right. I also have heard about black holes at galaxy's center too. That's far more plausible. The theory I cite is similar, probably even an expansion on the black hole theory or vice versa . First proposed by Sagan in the 80's or early 90's. They're not sure how many there are, or even if they are at the edges, but they definitely speculate about each galaxy having its own "doorways".

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 11-25-2020 at 06:15 PM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
cammy85
Stone Warrior

One thing's for sure: the show makes it seem like the trips are instantaneous and also take time when needed.

Ex. 1. Son of the Return of the Fly had Baxter delayed before he went through the portal. Shredder ordered Krang to shut it down as soon as they got back and Baxter was between dimensions when it closed on him. Or Enter The Fly when Bebop and Rocksteady came through the portal immediately after Baxter was flung through.

2. Farewell Lotus Blossom: Bebop and Rocksteady emerged from the portal with lasers drawn exactly where they needed to be. Or The Big Cufflink Caper when Shredder immediately announced he's come for the cufflinks upon exiting the portal. Of course, I could be wrong. It's all a matter of plot convenience.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:51 AM   #10
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
One thing's for sure: the show makes it seem like the trips are instantaneous and also take time when needed.

Ex. 1. Son of the Return of the Fly had Baxter delayed before he went through the portal. Shredder ordered Krang to shut it down as soon as they got back and Baxter was between dimensions when it closed on him. Or Enter The Fly when Bebop and Rocksteady came through the portal immediately after Baxter was flung through.

2. Farewell Lotus Blossom: Bebop and Rocksteady emerged from the portal with lasers drawn exactly where they needed to be. Or The Big Cufflink Caper when Shredder immediately announced he's come for the cufflinks upon exiting the portal. Of course, I could be wrong. It's all a matter of plot convenience.
Yeah sometimes portals work, literally like walking through a door, like the moment you put your foot in there, it's already sticking out on the other side in the Technodrome. In Baxter's case, they make it seem like there's some weird dimension in between dimensions where you have to step from one portal and into the other. It just makes no sense and you can't have it both ways. In a darker cartoon, turning off the portal would not trap Baxter in some weird in-between dimension or whatever... it would just cut the poor guy in half.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

How do dimensional portals work? By using B.S. quantum physics equations that can literally break a professor's brain.

Last edited by DarkFell; 11-27-2020 at 10:25 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Dimensional portals are the coolest things of all time because it's basically teleportation without being actually...teleported. You just open a gateway/rift between one location and another and step through. It's basically teleportion made practical.

I can see a portal gun invented in real life, much more than I can see teleportation ever being invented.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote