The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel on this?
Love it 17 22.67%
Hate it 34 45.33%
In different on it 24 32.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #21
NitpickingMask
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth View Post
The real question should be "Do you like the way April acts around Donnie this series?"
Please don't tell me you are going to "Its fault of her for leading him on" direction <_< Since that is type of bullcrap that exists too much in society.
NitpickingMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #22
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
The real question should be "Do you like the way April acts around Donnie this series?"
Yes. Yes I do. Because she's acting like a friend.
Donnie, is acting like a creeper.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
JTH
"ME"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitpickingMask View Post
Please don't tell me you are going to "Its fault of her for leading him on" direction <_< Since that is type of bullcrap that exists too much in society.
Umm no.

Cause I seem to be one of very few that exist in our society that approves of what's happening...

I'm simply pointing out the timing, because the Donnie/April stuff in the show is a fraction of what it was say 5 months ago.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #24
NitpickingMask
Thug

Ah, ok, good, phew... I was scared there for a second ^_^;
Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #25
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #26
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitpickingMask View Post
It's kind of hard to tell what her motive is at this point, and what I think jth was going for is that April doesn't really seem to have much of an opinion about this. She seems more like an object for Don and Casey to flex their own egos over, while the writers don't do much to let her express her own feelings. Kissing Don, I'd say, is either leading him on or an expression of genuine affection. It might be possible in some cases to kiss someone and mean it completely platonicly, but when you remember April is very much aware of his crush, via such things as Metalhead, it seems like there's no way she would expect him to take it as platonic. Unless the writers are also now suggesting April is stupid. Who knows.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #27
Sighphi
Foot Soldier

Not really. Don should be smarter than this, he should be the turtle that is aware of their situation more than the rest. This would fall better in any of the other turtles. But Leo has Karai, Mike has mental problems, and i guess Raph is too rough so... one can see why he was chosen.
Sighphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #28
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
Not really. Don should be smarter than this, he should be the turtle that is aware of their situation more than the rest. This would fall better in any of the other turtles. But Leo has Karai, Mike has mental problems, and i guess Raph is too rough so... one can see why he was chosen.
okay I gotta admit that part made me laugh a bit
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Not really. Don should be smarter than this, he should be the turtle that is aware of their situation more than the rest.
Eh I guess love is blind and makes people do stupid, irrational stuff to try to get the attention of someone, even particularly smart ones.

Though she has no responsibility to do so, April should prob just be gently up front with him at some point about this whole thing since the infatuation seems to be clouding his judgement.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #30
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Intelligence and emotion are two different things. You can't help how you feel as emotions aren't always logical.

Mike btw may have his issues but they aren't mental.

Last edited by ssjup81; 06-18-2014 at 06:31 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #31
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Mike has WHAT?

And Raph already has Casey, so he's settled.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #32
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

As I said before, if it was innocent flirting it would be one thing, but Donnie is reaching stalkerish/creepy depths by devising every such plan to be with her and using possessive statements like "my April" or "my princess". It may be cute in the cartoon world, but I can assure you that in the real world it would be very creepy. This type of stalkerish behavior wouldn't be tolerated if Donnie looked like Slash. That's why I'm stating unless Casey are Donnie are delusional, Nick April must be somehow inadvertently leading them on (though I see absolutely no sign of it) for those two to think they have a chance with her for such a long time. It may be a cartoon, but this crush triangle is showing its age by lasting for nearly 2 seasons so far.

Isn't it sad though that the only character depth, or at least the most talked about, around these Turtles seem to revolve around shipping? **Sigh** I mean already a portion of the fandom wants to ship Irma. This is typically why I don't like fervent shipping because typically when it's used, it's overdone, it seems to be the only noticeable feature of the character(s) (Turtles). In which apparently, the most prominent thing that concerns these Turtles (you know, despite worrying about being publicly exposed/tarnished, avoiding in getting killed, their unique existence in their world, and the strain upon their brotherhood relationships) is who's gonna love them and who are they going to love. ...Uh huh

It may add a "new layer" to these characters, but more often than not, it unfortunately becomes the most prominent layer to these characters and that's not why I tune in to watch TMNT. I'm not against shipping or romance since I watch and enjoy shows like Nashville and Scandal that have romantic themes carefully weaved in within their shows (that have female-driven main characters and female creators by the way), but when I watch TMNT I'm not expecting to tune into a shipping-fest of Tales of the Young & Scaly.

In my opinion, the action/adventure of the show and the relationships of family and friends should mostly be in the forefront of the show before the romance themes. But that's just me...

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 06-18-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #33
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativecreature31 View Post
I'm all for April ditching them both and running away with Karai!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
And then, as they're running, Irma pulls up with a convertible, and the three of them drive off into the sunset to fight crime...or commit crime.

I'm not really picky.
^^ These.

Besides, it's obvious that there's some major foe-yay going on between Karai and April.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
As I said before, if it was innocent flirting it would be one thing, but Donnie is reaching stalkerish/creepy depths by devising every such plan to be with her and using possessive statements like "my April" or "my princess". It may be cute in the cartoon world, but I can assure you that in the real world it would be very creepy. This type of stalkerish behavior wouldn't be tolerated if Donnie looked like Slash. That's why I'm stating unless Casey are Donnie are delusional, Nick April must be somehow inadvertently leading them on (though I see absolutely no sign of it) for those two to think they have a chance with her for such a long time. It may be a cartoon, but this crush triangle is showing its age by lasting for nearly 2 seasons so far.

Isn't it sad though that the only character depth, or at least the most talked about, around these Turtles seem to revolve around shipping? **Sigh** I mean already a portion of the fandom wants to ship Irma. This is typically why I don't like fervent shipping because typically when it's used, it's overdone, it seems to be the only noticeable feature of the character(s) (Turtles). In which apparently, the most prominent thing that concerns these Turtles (you know, despite worrying about being publicly exposed/tarnished, avoiding in getting killed, their unique existence in their world, and the strain upon their brotherhood relationships) is who's gonna love them and who are they going to love. ...Uh huh

It may add a "new layer" to these characters, but more often than not, it unfortunately becomes the most prominent layer to these characters and that's not why I tune in to watch TMNT. I'm not against shipping or romance since I watch and enjoy shows like Nashville and Scandal that have romantic themes carefully weaved in within their shows (that have female-driven main characters and female creators by the way), but when I watch TMNT I'm not expecting to tune into a shipping-fest of Tales of the Young & Scaly.

In my opinion, the action/adventure of the show and the relationships of family and friends should mostly be in the forefront of the show before the romance themes. But that's just me...
Kinda consider romance as part of the relationships between family and friends. Still I agree. Action, adventure, mutants and ninja stuff first. Family and romance stuff in the background.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #35
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

But the romance is in the background for the most part and mostly comes into play when April's around. When she's not around, that stuff isn't even mentioned that much and it's all focused on the action.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #36
JTH
"ME"

People will only complain when they feel it's done wrong, whether they're right or not is moot.

But Operation: Breakout proved that this crush can produce great stories, if it's written the right way.

Hell, that episode completely focused on it, and I remember a lot of people who didn't even like the Donnie/April stuff in Season 1 say they thought that episode was very exciting and excellent.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #37
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Kinda consider romance as part of the relationships between family and friends. Still I agree. Action, adventure, mutants and ninja stuff first. Family and romance stuff in the background.
I guess I should elaborate on the romance part. It's just frustrating that when immediately a new female shows up on screen (whether it's TMNT or not), immediately it becomes shipping fodder possibilities rather than an interest on the female's backstory and life direction before doing so. In TMNT, I'm more interested in seeing the strain and stretching of the father-son, brother-brother, friend-friend relationships through the extraordinary trials they are enduring rather than portraying these Turtles as having some form of romantic desperation (by overdoing the shipping aspect) on the top of their minds most of the time (i.e. Donnie's stalker-crush on April). Those family/friend bonding moments seem heavily obscured by the whole Donnie-April-Casey crush triangle. (On the other end, if I was only concerned about the action/adventure and fighting, at the detriment of not expanding the family/friend relationships of the superheroes, then I'm sure there would be an overabundance of other superheroes to gravitate my interest away from TMNT to satisfy that narrow perspective of storytelling then.) I'm not against romance, but it's not like this kids' show is going to go into serious contemplation about the dynamics of a romantic relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
But the romance is in the background for the most part and mostly comes into play when April's around. When she's not around, that stuff isn't even mentioned that much and it's all focused on the action.
That is true, mostly as you stated above, but the most noticeable example of shipping/romance being "overdone" is that the first thing most people think about with Nick Donnie is his crush on April, which short-changes Donnie's character depth in my eyes though. It was a relief in Season 1 when Leo got over his crush on Karai after realizing it wasn't going anywhere, and that it was even detrimental, but... that was during Season 1 and well... Season 2's overall writing has been disappointing to say the least. Now it seems that the writers wrote themselves in a corner because with Karai being Leo's sister, it's going to be a subtle bizarre situation whenever Leo shows interest in saving Karai (even Nick Raph mentioned Karai as being Leo's "girlfriend" in The Wrath of TigerClaw when he got upset with Leo taking her to their lair), especially since she's turning away from Shredder.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 06-20-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #38
NitpickingMask
Thug

Quote:
People will only complain when they feel it's done wrong, whether they're right or not is moot.

But Operation: Breakout proved that this crush can produce great stories, if it's written the right way.

Hell, that episode completely focused on it, and I remember a lot of people who didn't even like the Donnie/April stuff in Season 1 say they thought that episode was very exciting and excellent.
Let me ask a question from you:

Would that episode have been worse without romance parts at all? Did they contribute anything to that episode?

And second question, if writers are bad at romance and write a lot more frustrating moments than genuinely good stuff, isn't it better to just cut romance completely if it has 1:10 good to bad ratio?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #39
NoName999
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
That's still problem because it gives the impression that April as being nothing more than just a love interest and not her own person.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #40
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName999 View Post
That's still problem because it gives the impression that April as being nothing more than just a love interest and not her own person.
That might be the case if there weren't episodes that give April a backstory and character quirks that have nothing to do with Donatello.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil, donatello