Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #41
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
WITCH TRIAL!!

WITCH TRIAL!!

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #42
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
WITCH TRIAL!!

WITCH TRIAL!!

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

Old 05-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #43
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I agree with many who are critical with some of the mirage/image run on here; I find the original comics a mixed bag. I love return to new York, Northampton, The River, city at war, sons of the silent age, the fugitoid arc, the usagi and moo mesa crossovers, the original one-issue story with Baxter Stockman, the rat king' s into issue, leatherheads into, the king of thieves arc, Renet's into story, the blind Leo story, and the Dragon lord arc from the image run. These are all amazing comics to me, and have a place on my bookshelf.

The rest of the Mirage/image run, I really Don't care for, and I actually despise. The super hero stuff, Dale evens mcgillicutty, bodycount,naked triceritons, shredder shark, the raph horror stuff with vampires and werewolves, Kirby and the magic Crystal,April the magic drawing, the volume one filler... it all feels so lame to me, and I got bored or annoyed reading it. Likewise, I love the Mirage tmnt drawn by Tom Veitch, Kevin Eastman, or Stan Sakai in the usagi crossovers. But most of the other artist's style looks kind of weird to me. I guess it all comes down to personal taste, and I find mirage 1/2 amazing, 1/2 terrible.
Rick Veitch?

Maybe you're right and I'm missing out. Let me know. I love Rick's stuff.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #44
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
Rick Veitch?

Maybe you're right and I'm missing out. Let me know. I love Rick's stuff.
Curse of the auto-correct, oy.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #45
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Also, in the comics, Mikey is the least-developed turtle from a character standpoint. Eastman and Laird have stated that they didn't really know what to do with him early on. You see a little character development for him in his one-shot and issue #17.
Where did they say that?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #46
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Curse of the auto-correct, oy.
Really? Tom is Rick's brother who also works in comics.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #47
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Where did they say that?
Eastman at San Diego 2009, Laird at FCBD 2013.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #48
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
You should have stuck to my reading list. If you're not liking the "filler issues", I doubt you'll have the endurance to make it all the way to issue 48 where the main story picks up again.

As luck would have it, I read issue 8 (Renet, Savanti, and Cerebus) just last week. You'll have a much better appreciation for it if you've read Cerebus at all. Cerebus was a source of inspiration that helped lead to the creation of the TMNT, after all. It certainly has that classic Eastman/Laird feel to it. If you didn't like it, perhaps the Mirage Turtles aren't your cup of tea.

You mentioned the turtles' personalities didn't match most of the time. After reading issue 8, I'd say Leo and Raph are spot on. Don kinda falls into the background as it's really a magic-based adventure set in medieval times, so knowledge of modern science won't be as helpful here. Also, in the comics, Mikey is the least-developed turtle from a character standpoint. You'll find that he falls into the background in many early issues. Eastman and Laird have stated that they didn't really know what to do with him early on. You see a little character development for him in his one-shot and issue #17.

I feel like early TMNT stories have 1 of 2 feels to them. They are either gritty and dealing with things that happen in normal city life (though with a ninja slant), or they go off on a pretty sci-fi tangent. Issues 1-3, Leo, 10, 19-21 all tend to be on the more grounded side of things, even if that means exosuits, ninjas, and mystic worms. Issues 4-7, Don, and 8 have more of a sci fi feel to them with aliens, time travel and lasers. Both sides are part of early TMNT. However, the live action movie tended to stick more to the more realistic side of things (I know, I know, mutant turtles. You know what I mean.) If the live action movies are all you know about classic TMNT, I can see how the Sci-Fi stuff can be jarring.
No don't get me wrong, the Turtles' personalities are good, but just in that pointless issue with that time travelling girl is where i was like "Eh...?" with their personalities (and the chapter in general).
I don't mind time travel aslong as its pulled of well and has an actual story to it that influences the present (or future), so far this time travelling to the past in the Mirage comics seems pointless since nothing even happened, if i skipped that chapter i wouldn't have missed a thing
For example i liked the Archie time travelling since it made more sense and wasn't forgotten in one chapter and you could see small things still coming back in chapters.

And that is what i meant with filler; chapters that don't influence the story one bit, and is forgotten the next chapter.

I like the Mirage comics, but some issues are way to random, messy and make no sense...

I guess it all comes down to honesty (me) and blind nostaligia (most people here)

Last edited by Mexiun; 05-09-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #49
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I agree with many who are critical with some of the mirage/image run on here; I find the original comics a mixed bag. I love return to new York, Northampton, The River, city at war, sons of the silent age, the fugitoid arc, the usagi and moo mesa crossovers, the original one-issue story with Baxter Stockman, the rat king' s into issue, leatherheads into, the king of thieves arc, Renet's into story, the blind Leo story, and the Dragon lord arc from the image run. These are all amazing comics to me, and have a place on my bookshelf.

The rest of the Mirage/image run, I really Don't care for, and I actually despise. The super hero stuff, Dale evens mcgillicutty, bodycount,naked triceritons, shredder shark, the raph horror stuff with vampires and werewolves, Kirby and the magic Crystal,April the magic drawing, the volume one filler... it all feels so lame to me, and I got bored or annoyed reading it. Likewise, I love the Mirage tmnt drawn by Rick Veitch, Kevin Eastman, or Stan Sakai in the usagi crossovers. But most of the other artist's style looks kind of weird to me. I guess it all comes down to personal taste, and I find mirage 1/2 amazing, 1/2 terrible.
Exactly, i loved the 'return to new york' 'the river' and the northhampton ones because they felt story based and not random "oh here's another random half naked woman from outer space just coincidentally teleporting to Earth to screw your day up and is forgotten the next chapter".

The actual story chapters with Shredder, Bloodsucker and Northhampton feel amazing and wish the whole Mirage comics were like that without silly side-characters and forgetable stories...
Old 05-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #50
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
Exactly, i loved the 'return to new york' 'the river' and the northhampton ones because they felt story based and not random "oh here's another random half naked woman from outer space just coincidentally teleporting to Earth to screw your day up and is forgotten the next chapter".

The actual story chapters with Shredder, Bloodsucker and Northhampton feel amazing and wish the whole Mirage comics were like that without silly side-characters and forgetable stories...
I suggested the reading order I did for just this reason...get the meat of the story right off the bat to give you a full, unfiltered taste of classic Mirage TMNT. A second pass through volume 1 would have picked up the strong stories throughout. Outside of that main reading list (I could remove 8 and 9 from my initial list), most of the volume could be considered an anthology series. The River, Souls Winter, Sons of the Silent Age, Masks, and Hall of Lost Legends are among my favorite stories. I'm also partial to Donatello's 1-shot which serves as a fantastic tribute to Jack Kirby, a big inspiration to Eastman & Laird. Most of these don't add to the main story, though they do enrich the TMNT tapestry.

I think we all wish that Eastman and Laird could have helmed the whole volume. Of course, if they did that, the they'd have to steal focus from running the juggernaut that was the TMNT in the late 80's/early 90's. Who knows how that would have changed things.

Like many said, Volume 1 is a mixed bag. It's best not to label it as a whole, rather break it out into individual stories.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #51
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
and not random "oh here's another random half naked woman from outer space just coincidentally teleporting to Earth to screw your day up and is forgotten the next chapter".
And one more thing...I actually kind of liked this aspect. From very early on, the TMNT were popping in and out of people's lives like crazy. They mingled with the Fugitoid and the triceratons on a distant planet, they went back in time and found Cerebus, Jhanna popped onto Earth for a bit. The whole series is absurd at its core, so in the comics it always felt like anything could happen at any time. You could never tell if a character was going to have a one-off appearance or if they'd come back and have a bigger role in the overall story.

Renet, Savanti Romero, Rat King, Radical, and several others all seem like random cameos when they are first introduced and end up having a big impact on the Turtles later on.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #52
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I suggested the reading order I did for just this reason...get the meat of the story right off the bat to give you a full, unfiltered taste of classic Mirage TMNT. A second pass through volume 1 would have picked up the strong stories throughout. Outside of that main reading list (I could remove 8 and 9 from my initial list), most of the volume could be considered an anthology series. The River, Souls Winter, Sons of the Silent Age, Masks, and Hall of Lost Legends are among my favorite stories. I'm also partial to Donatello's 1-shot which serves as a fantastic tribute to Jack Kirby, a big inspiration to Eastman & Laird. Most of these don't add to the main story, though they do enrich the TMNT tapestry.

I think we all wish that Eastman and Laird could have helmed the whole volume. Of course, if they did that, the they'd have to steal focus from running the juggernaut that was the TMNT in the late 80's/early 90's. Who knows how that would have changed things.

Like many said, Volume 1 is a mixed bag. It's best not to label it as a whole, rather break it out into individual stories.
I'll follow your list more then, was already searching the internet some days ago for a full reading order which was surprisingly hard to find
Reading the "filler" chapters feel like a chore to me and i only read them because its a digit following from the last chapter with TMNT in the title.

However i did enjoy the Kirby chapter, it was a fun chapter with a pretty sad ending, however i already knew how it would end since the 2003's TMNT did a full episode about this

How is Vol.2 and Vol.4 though? Random like Vol.1?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
A bit like "City at War," but with not a lot of action. Decompressed storytelling, no story arcs, per se.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #54
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A bit like "City at War," but with not a lot of action. Decompressed storytelling, no story arcs, per se.
Sounds fun, can't wait to check that out once i read Vol.1.
Heard a lot about City at War so i'm pretty excited for it.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #55
bjaxx87
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I'll follow your list more then, was already searching the internet some days ago for a full reading order which was surprisingly hard to find
Can't believe no one suggested to check out the continuity timeline:
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2010/...-timeline.html

It helped me a lot when I got into the Mirage comics. And it's also worth checking out the reviews including the "turtle tips" pointing out if a certain character will reappear (time travel girl aka Renet will reappear and even will be of relevance!).
Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #56
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:

No, they aren't random in future volumes. Volume 2 and 4 don't have guest issues like volume 1 has. You'll get a logical progression of the story if you read them in order.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #57
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
I will deffinitly check it out, can't wait to start reading it but first i want to finish all of the Archie ones.

And she bought me the Classic 1990 movie Raphael figure.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/movies-tv...91080-34158896

This one

Edit: While we're on the subject, does anyone know a good Ninja Turtle merchandise site that ships to the Netherlands?
Me
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote