The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #1021
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will, since that's why I registered with ff.net to begin with, the intention to put it out someday. I get intimidated, though, because I started writing it before I even had the internet or knew other people wrote "fanfic"... I just started writing a story in like 1999 because me and my then-girlfriend/now-wife were sad that TMNT was in hibernation and we wanted something to read.

So it's all full of stuff people profess to hate about fanfics... tons of cross-over characters, original characters designed to be put in relationships with established main characters, lots of "adult" content and situations... and long stretches of character stuff in between the action... the second fic (still in progress 10+ years after I started it) is barely any action at all and almost all talking. And they're LONG. Like, I think Bret Easton Ellis has written shorter novels with less violence and swear words. Constantly hearing people deride elements of fanfic as a whole, that I put into mine on purpose, makes me apprehensive, is all.

The first one won some Fanfic Awards back on here 10+ years ago, but I'm sure standards have changed a lot since then. I think it was Best New Author and Best New Story or Best Cross-Over, or something. I honestly can't remember. But since I'm trying to finally hit the finish line on Fic #2, I figure I'll finally bite the bullet and go public again. I'm just not going to put any chapters of that one up until it's finished, because that's what happened last time and then I had no internet for five years, and the site that had everything on it went down. I'll put the first fic up once I finish proofreading it, I guess.

Bring a blanket. It's long.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #1022
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will, since that's why I registered with ff.net to begin with, the intention to put it out someday. I get intimidated, though, because I started writing it before I even had the internet or knew other people wrote "fanfic"... I just started writing a story in like 1999 because me and my then-girlfriend/now-wife were sad that TMNT was in hibernation and we wanted something to read.

So it's all full of stuff people profess to hate about fanfics... tons of cross-over characters, original characters designed to be put in relationships with established main characters, lots of "adult" content and situations... and long stretches of character stuff in between the action... the second fic (still in progress 10+ years after I started it) is barely any action at all and almost all talking. And they're LONG. Like, I think Bret Easton Ellis has written shorter novels with less violence and swear words. Constantly hearing people deride elements of fanfic as a whole, that I put into mine on purpose, makes me apprehensive, is all.

The first one won some Fanfic Awards back on here 10+ years ago, but I'm sure standards have changed a lot since then. I think it was Best New Author and Best New Story or Best Cross-Over, or something. I honestly can't remember. But since I'm trying to finally hit the finish line on Fic #2, I figure I'll finally bite the bullet and go public again. I'm just not going to put any chapters of that one up until it's finished, because that's what happened last time and then I had no internet for five years, and the site that had everything on it went down. I'll put the first fic up once I finish proofreading it, I guess.

Bring a blanket. It's long.
Mine is going to be loooong too.
I'm going to finish my fanfic first too before I start posting the chapters, just to make sure what I'm writing in the later end of the story doesn't conflict with the beginning.

Anyways though, don't feel intimidated Leo656 about having those elements in your fanfic. Clearly it seems that you put a lot of effort into writing it, which is far above 70-80% of what most fanfic writers actually do. With me, I'm usually open to most themes but what's irritating is seeing how the fanfic is usually more or less a superficial imaginative self-insert story to titillate whatever fantasies they imagine themselves to be with the Turtles, thus completely ignoring the perception of the reader. Therefore it tarnishes the use of cross-over characters, original characters, and other points you have mentioned above.

One strong suggestion I give to fanfic writers in creating a story, an original character, having explicit descriptions (violence, sexual imagery, whatever), or any type of literary devices/tools is... and it's frank but gets to the point: "Why should the reader care about it?" Answering that question will help a writer to know if the story and all of its elements are worth reading.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #1023
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Here's a prequel to Truth and Lies called April Showers:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10059507/1/April-Showers

And, Leo, maybe making FF your homepage would be a good idea, too, or maybe talking about it with the admins of the site. Maybe the reason your password is invalid could be because they want users to stay active all of the time so maybe because you aren't active, they may disable the password after so much time has passed. That's my guess anyway.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #1024
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Read and reviewed Bubbly. I love how you're continuing to expand the Truth and Lies universe.

Leo...wow, I'd like to see just how big your story is, I don't mind highly talkative ones, it puts you in good practicse to gain experiance in writing closed room drama mysteries and soap operas, and it's actually something a lot of fanfic writers prefer to indulge in because, from my expertease, wrting action scenes can be a hard one to navigate through
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #1025
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Thanks, Zar. I'm having so much fun with my Truth and Lies series and am really proud of what I'm doing with it. Definitely can't wait to share more with you.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #1026
Leo656
The Franchise

I never actually figured out how long they were, so I just checked. The first story was 20 Chapters, written with Times New Roman 13.5-point font... adds up tooooo....

228 PAGES?!?! WTF was I doing with my life???! (I just remembered... we didn't have cable at the time)

I never sat and checked all that before. It's all over the place; the shortest chapter was only 4 pages, the longest was 28, averaging out to about 11-12 pages per Chapter. Talky chapters were shorter, the longer ones were where "the good stuff" happened. It's actually more balanced than I remembered, with several short/medium chapters back to back, building up to the longer ones. And there really are only three Chapters longer than 15 pages, and I did use a large font, so I guess it's OK.

And I genuinely do like writing action, a lot, actually, I just really like building up to it and having it mean something. Chapter 19, the "big fight at the end", was written in two 6-hour blocks, back to back. I had the entire thing written out, and it was perfect, and then the computer crashed and I realized I hadn't saved since the first paragraph, because I'd been so caught up in writing it. I cried a tiny bit, then just did the whole thing over. I had to; if I paused, I would have been too depressed to go back and finish it. But when I read it now, I still remember everything I was feeling and trying to emphasize when I was writing it, very vividly.

The second fic, the one I'm still finishing, is entirely about relationships. It came about as I was growing into the one I have with my now-wife, and each of us were getting over previous bad experiences, so I wanted to put everything into a story, which is a prequel to the other one. I had this grand plan for 5 or 6 fics, but I doubt I'll get that far now. I can't seem to do anything "small". I'unno.

228 pages... anyone still interested?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #1027
Amityville Rock
Foot Soldier

Exclamation Re:

TMNT/Gargoyles Season Two Avalon and Beyond Episode One is up:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1006364...lon-and-Beyond

You've asked the questions now you will know the answers. The time has come. Darkness will fall and heroes will rise. The battle for Avalon and the fate of the multiverse is at hand.

Chapter Summary -

Hamato Yoshi meets many familiar faces on Avalon in 1970, Goliath, Elisa, Leonardo, Donatello & Venus head to Avalon, Ulysses Quintone's master plan is dangerously close to completion.

Next up

Behind the Curtain (Quintone's identity is finally revealed!)

enjoy
Amityville Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #1028
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
I never actually figured out how long they were, so I just checked. The first story was 20 Chapters, written with Times New Roman 13.5-point font... adds up tooooo....

228 PAGES?!?! WTF was I doing with my life???! (I just remembered... we didn't have cable at the time)

I never sat and checked all that before. It's all over the place; the shortest chapter was only 4 pages, the longest was 28, averaging out to about 11-12 pages per Chapter. Talky chapters were shorter, the longer ones were where "the good stuff" happened. It's actually more balanced than I remembered, with several short/medium chapters back to back, building up to the longer ones. And there really are only three Chapters longer than 15 pages, and I did use a large font, so I guess it's OK.

And I genuinely do like writing action, a lot, actually, I just really like building up to it and having it mean something. Chapter 19, the "big fight at the end", was written in two 6-hour blocks, back to back. I had the entire thing written out, and it was perfect, and then the computer crashed and I realized I hadn't saved since the first paragraph, because I'd been so caught up in writing it. I cried a tiny bit, then just did the whole thing over. I had to; if I paused, I would have been too depressed to go back and finish it. But when I read it now, I still remember everything I was feeling and trying to emphasize when I was writing it, very vividly.

The second fic, the one I'm still finishing, is entirely about relationships. It came about as I was growing into the one I have with my now-wife, and each of us were getting over previous bad experiences, so I wanted to put everything into a story, which is a prequel to the other one. I had this grand plan for 5 or 6 fics, but I doubt I'll get that far now. I can't seem to do anything "small". I'unno.

Heck, yeah, I'm still interested in seeing this stuff. Just make sure to break things up in chapters properly and don't leave it as one long story, but I think you should know how to do that. But go for it, Leo.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #1029
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Psh... 228 pages? That's nothing... I'm approximating that's 100K-120K words and there are about 130 stories on fanfiction.net that has over 100K words (over 200 pages). In fact, the longest story I found was one over 470,000 words! Which would be around 850-900 pages!

...And I get what you mean about wanting to build up the action scenes, I try to do that too, so the action/fighting scenes are more satisfying for the reader and have more meaning for the character.

So go ahead and post it Leo656 , if the story is good, the reader isn't going to be concerned about counting the pages along the way.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 01-29-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #1030
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

Heck yeah! And I'm right up there with you on both length and content. My own main fic (Love Is Shell) is sitting at 189 pages in its current form, and has a lot of the same elements in it as you described. So far, My shortest one is 5 pages, and there is another that is 6 pages, but everything else I've posted is multi-chapter.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #1031
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Update for Of Ninjas and Wrestlers:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1002195...-and-Wrestlers

Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #1032
Leo656
The Franchise

Well that's good, I guess. Honestly I've never read a lot of other people's stuff, so I have no idea how long other people's stories tend to be.

After I'd started writing it I found that some of the things I put in bore a superficial resemblance to things that happened in comics and fics I'd never read, so I purposely avoided a lot of other fics so I wouldn't be influenced by other people.

I've been alternating between proofreading/revising the first story and working on a new chapter for the second one, so I might have something up soon.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #1033
Amityville Rock
Foot Soldier

Question Re:

TMNT/Gargoyles Season Two Episode Two Behind the Curtain is posted -

"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

Morpheus to Neo, The Matrix (1999)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #1034
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Well that's good, I guess. Honestly I've never read a lot of other people's stuff, so I have no idea how long other people's stories tend to be.

After I'd started writing it I found that some of the things I put in bore a superficial resemblance to things that happened in comics and fics I'd never read, so I purposely avoided a lot of other fics so I wouldn't be influenced by other people.

I've been alternating between proofreading/revising the first story and working on a new chapter for the second one, so I might have something up soon.

Well, certain ideas are fairly common in fan-fics, particularly cross-overs, romances, and basic plot elements, so that's not surprising. Also, it sounds like you did sort of the same thing I did- my fic was originally written between 1990-91, after I'd been to see the first movie and later discovered the cartoon. Yeah, it really IS that old! (I was in 6th grade at the time, and I'm not even going to discuss how old that makes me... LOL!) Recently, a net-pal of mine suggested I dust it off and post it on a site we're both on, and I did some heavy rewriting on it, then when I joined up here, some fellow Dromers urged me to put it on fan-fiction.net. One of the interesting things I've discovered since doing so is that I've found plenty of new characters and storylines from later TMNT incarnations to mine for ideas to work into the story. Characters that didn't even exist when I first wrote it are finding their way into the tale, like Angel, Tokka and Rahzar, Hun, and others.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #1035
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Leo, don't be upset if your ideas are like other peoples' ideas. That's the beauty of fan fiction, and I think if you put your own spin on things, it'll still be fresh and unique. Just create what you want and see how people react to it.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #1036
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Leo, don't be upset if your ideas are like other peoples' ideas. That's the beauty of fan fiction, and I think if you put your own spin on things, it'll still be fresh and unique. Just create what you want and see how people react to it.
Exactly. Don't be too concerned if you're telling a story people have read before, if you spin it your own way it can really enjoyable and give fans a nice ride. Be concerned with the journey you take your readers on and make them care about the destination, even if it's one they expect at the end.

Oh, and I read and reviewed "Of Ninjas and Wrestlers" Bubbly...good work. So much potential can come out of this, I hope what is going on in WWE at the moment helps you out in laying out this story

Sorry there hasnt been any updates from my own fic, I've had too busy a week to concentrate on it, but I hope to update over the weekend

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 01-31-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #1037
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Thanks, Zar. Well, some of it will be from what's going on right now in WWE, but I obviously not everything will be as it is now with Cena being the champ in my story instead of Orton. So, we'll see how things play out, but I really want to make this my own universe and my own spin on things.

Been a long time, but here's chapter 23 of Tales of a Pizza Delivery Boy:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9565601...a-Delivery-Boy

Old 02-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #1038
Amityville Rock
Foot Soldier

Question Re:

TMNT/Gargoyles Season Two Episode Three Choices and Consequences is posted -

Episode Summary:

More of Alpha One's past is revealed, Alpha One confronts the heroes when they arrive on Avalon, Gabriel, Angela, Ophelia & Boudicca are introduced, Alpha One betrays the Weird Sisters and recruits his army. *WARNING contains excessive violence, murder and character death WARNING*

Enjoy!

PS To those who have been following my story I think I have tied up most of the reaming loose ends (why Alpha One killed Chung I and made sure Venus left China = the ancient vial) (how Alpha One came into possession of the Techodrome) (how Alpha one abducted the gargoyles Othello & Desdemona). All I have is the rest of "Nightingale's"/Demona's story. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #1039
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Been a long time, but here's chapter 23 of Tales of a Pizza Delivery Boy:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9565601...a-Delivery-Boy
Read and reviewed there Bubbly. Ace job as always.

I've now added the complete "We Are Shadows" novel to Wattpad

http://www.wattpad.com/library/ZariusTwo
Old 02-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #1040
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Thanks for the review, Zar. I wanted to do a filler chapter before the big stuff happens. Can't wait for tomorrow's ep as it'll give me some good ideas of what to do next.