The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #2041
Slade
god status

That I have to work 4-12 tonight then 8-4 tomorrow.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #2042
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

My time of the month is here! Ugh. Hate this!

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #2043
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Sorry about that, Bubbly. That really doesn't sound pleasant. Never has. May it pass quickly.

Glad your son is doing better Dawnatello.

Yeah Icebot, I hate time limits too. I try to get everything I need to do done early especially where teacher stuff and bills are concerned, but that just heaps up more pressure. I do it anyway because I really hate deadlines and love having it off my plate as early as I can. You seem like a hard worker though, so I'm sure you'll get through it. Dave is right about the whole physical and mental health thing.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #2044
Warhorse
Emperor

I just read an article on two leaders in the comic book world, and it just grinds my gears to see that they believe comic books were and never will be meant for females to view and enjoy. Eh, I guess I see now why I tend to prefer the movies if that's the way comic book creators feel.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #2045
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I just read an article on two leaders in the comic book world, and it just grinds my gears to see that they believe comic books were and never will be meant for females to view and enjoy. Eh, I guess I see now why I tend to prefer the movies if that's the way comic book creators feel.
Which article was that? It'll probably tick me off too, but I'd like to read it. Can't believe some guys still have that mindset. This isn't the 30's anymore.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #2046
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
Which article was that? It'll probably tick me off too, but I'd like to read it. Can't believe some guys still have that mindset. This isn't the 30's anymore.
http://observationdeck.io9.com/mark-...t-f-1095912572

And the sickening thing, one of them has created my favorite female comic book character of all time. But granted, it's not because of the comics, but because of the movie. The first one anyways. The sequel sucked.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 AM   #2047
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

This is one reason why I don't like comic book culture at all. That attitude is infuriating when it comes from creators, but a lot of the fans are like that as well.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #2048
Icebot
Foot Elite

Thanks everyone. I've had this problem for years now and it's just really getting old. I can handle it for a couple days but enough is enough. I'm fed up with this suffering. I'm working on a solution and I hope it works.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #2049
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
This is one reason why I don't like comic book culture at all. That attitude is infuriating when it comes from creators, but a lot of the fans are like that as well.
My jaw dropped to the floor on many occasions when I would see fans all ticked off because they were not going to be putting in the rape scenes and the dog's head being cut off in Kick Ass 2.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #2050
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Thanks for the well wishes, BT. It'll pass as it always does. It just gets frustrating sometimes because I lose sleep for a few days.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #2051
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I originally wrote a nice long response on this topic but my laptop died before I could post and I was too mad to take another crack at it until now...

I remember wanting to love comics growing up. I loved the culture of it, the art, the stories, but I always felt so alienated by them due to the contempt I felt towards the female characters. I didn't like them, the way they looked, acted and their "role" in the story. For the most part the female characters were weak, big boobed and nearly naked. I have never fit well into gender roles and don't fit into any societal stereotypes. That's how I've always been. I couldn't identify with my female friends once they started playing dress-up and house and such. It bored me, I always got along better with guy friends because they did all the fun things that interested me. As I've gotten older I am constantly mistaken for being gay by people (even those with "flawless gaydar"). I don't mind, (I've got plenty of friends that are gay, it's a non-issue) but it gets frustrating that everyone tries so hard to put people in a box or label to explain them or what have you.

I'm so happy to finally see a rather notable societal change in movies and books where strong, independent heroines are the protagonist. They can be strong, fierce and beautiful and don't need a man to save them. I have nothing against the whole damsel in distress paradigm when used in moderation, but a selection of female character types would go a long way. Many women are content to cook, clean, take care of the kids and have their husband provide- I am not, I have to contribute. It's nice to finally see society saying- "Hey, it's okay to be you now..." I always felt so alienated as a kid not being "allowed" to like what I liked- that stuck with me into adulthood and I've only been able to really shake it within recent years. We can only hope that eventually comic book culture can catch up. I have two franchises I really love reading because they don't demean women (I'm not saying there are only 2 like that, just that I currently only read 2) I'd like for there to be more and more as time goes by. Anyhoo, just my 2 cents.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #2052
Powder
So tired of this place

I really hate people who have a kid & then think the world revolves around them & the baby. Like, on social networking, they try to force their little DNA stain into conversation & whatnot. Nobody caaaaares. The world is overpopulated as it is. I understand having updates on your own page, but keep it there! & for God's sake post something else once in a while.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #2053
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I really hate people who have a kid & then think the world revolves around them & the baby. Like, on social networking, they try to force their little DNA stain into conversation & whatnot. Nobody caaaaares. The world is overpopulated as it is. I understand having updates on your own page, but keep it there! & for God's sake post something else once in a while.
Surprisingly, seeing my old classmates talk about their kids or their kids' achievements doesn't bother me much. I do know that if I ever had a kid that I probably wouldn't be this way as I'm not the type who would sit around and post pics about them on FB. It's rare I'd even do that for myself.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #2054
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I have 1-2 co-workers who are like that. It's really annoying, and it's almost as if they lose themselves in the child and their parent role, and it becomes everything they are. They also tend to be the crappiest parents too I've noticed, since they often don't discipline effectively (they try to 'negotiate' with the child instead) and tend to be types that think their child will be helpless and need them forever (and turn into helicopter parents.)

The other annoyance I have with them is that they assume that if you don't have a child, you can't understand or know anything about them. Often with many people that isn't true, but the assumption is always there, even if the person is a teacher or a day care worker.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #2055
pandaderek
Hench Mutant

My cellphone broke, the screen doesn't power-up, anymore. The good news is that I ordered the new iPhone 6 plus, a couple weeks back. The bad news is that it's back-ordered and won't ship till the 30th of October. So, now, I'm without a cellphone, until I can find a temporary replacement. It sucks because, now, it's going to be harder to get things done. I need instant communication for both of my jobs. I guess, I'll go and buy one of those pre-paid phones, until my iPhone ships.

Also, I hate when fast food restaurants put too much ice in your drinks. They need to make cups with a line that indicates the maximum of ice to put in, like they do with cup-noodles.
pandaderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #2056
pandaderek
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
I have 1-2 co-workers who are like that. It's really annoying, and it's almost as if they lose themselves in the child and their parent role, and it becomes everything they are. They also tend to be the crappiest parents too I've noticed, since they often don't discipline effectively (they try to 'negotiate' with the child instead) and tend to be types that think their child will be helpless and need them forever (and turn into helicopter parents.)

The other annoyance I have with them is that they assume that if you don't have a child, you can't understand or know anything about them. Often with many people that isn't true, but the assumption is always there, even if the person is a teacher or a day care worker.
Well, having a child is very life-changing. Priorities change and the child, always, comes first. A lot of parents don't discipline their children, often, because they're used to the noise and it's as if their child's annoyance doesn't exist. Also, that's one of the things parent have to do, is to not give into their child's ranting...once the child feels (s)he can get people's attention with screaming, they will do it, often. My parents never put up with my **** and, always, took me out of public sight to discipline me (but, that's not the, only, way to raise kids...that's, just, and aggressive approach, there are passive ways that are equally effective...it, just, depends on the child).
Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #2057
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post

Oh yes, especially if the person is a teacher or day care worker. Never mind the fact that they're with the kids seven or eight hours a day most of the time. The parents that negotiate usually do that reward system thing too, and you've got kids that expect gifts or whatnot for simply being nice to their peers these days. Take one of the schools around here, for instance. There was a teacher who warned a kid not to bully other classmates or he'd be sent to the office. He goes,"Okay, so what are ya gonna give me if I don't." Principle was out in the hall, so he talked with the kid about there being a difference between school and mama's house. Some teachers follow through with the whole consequences bit, whereas others let them off just like that. She followed through the very next time he pulled that verbal insult/physical intimidation crap on a student and he straightened up. At the end of the year, the kid said he really liked her because she wasn't a pushover.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #2058
pandaderek
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Your outlook, based on the "overpopulated" comment, is that you see people as some simple thing, like numbers, not as individuals. You have to see each person as an individual. To some, their children mean the whole world to them. To others, not so much. Both can be, equally, as caring and loving towards their child. You can't, just, expect people to share the same feelings towards their kids, every person has different values. You need compassion and need to be able to understand their values, to develop an appreciation for the things that others do. If you, only, care for the things that you value, then you're not a very social being...which is fine, but, don't expect the world to change, for you.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #2059
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I understand that parents are often proud of their kids and want to share accomplishments with others, but I can see where Powder is coming from if they constantly do it as if they have nothing else to talk about and as if the child is just the most perfect thing even if they do wrong. There needs to be a line drawn on things like that because it can get out of hand at times. Luckily, I'm not on Facebook so I don't have to deal with it, but if I did, I'd just make sure not to friend that person.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #2060
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaderek View Post
Your outlook, based on the "overpopulated" comment, is that you see people as some simple thing, like numbers, not as individuals. You have to see each person as an individual. To some, their children mean the whole world to them. To others, not so much. Both can be, equally, as caring and loving towards their child. You can't, just, expect people to share the same feelings towards their kids, every person has different values. You need compassion and need to be able to understand their values, to develop an appreciation for the things that others do. If you, only, care for the things that you value, then you're not a very social being...which is fine, but, don't expect the world to change, for you.
Spoken like a guy who has no idea who he's talking to. I am pretty much the embodiment of all that is negative, you'll learn that soon enough. You can be Anne Frank, I'll be Charles Manson. That's fine. Different strokes. At no point did I say people should adhere to my point of view or change the way they govern their seed. I said they annoy me with their excessive babyspam, that's it. I don't need to understand or appreciate anything they do. I have my own problems. I don't expect the world to change, either, & that is why I'm not a social being, as you put it. I'm not here for you to break down my character & tell me how to live my life. I'm here to vent in short bursts.

Granted it's not like what you've just wrote is lost on me, or new to me. Point is, I don't want people shoving their kid down my throat, & a lot of folks in my social circle do.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote