The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #1061
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Snagged this the other day!

Old 06-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #1062
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Awesome score!! I'd love to snag that one! Congrats!!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #1063
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
yeah very good Net

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #1064
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Hehe, thanks. It feels good to contribute to this awesome thread.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #1065
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Quote:
Hehe, thanks. It feels good to contribute to this awesome thread.
i know i will if i ever get anything worthy to post pics of

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 06-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #1066
Ninjinister
無問題

Got some older fighting games for me birthday.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #1067
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

nice man, good score

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 06-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #1068
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Great pick-ups! Annnd Happy Birthday! Primal Rage is a fun one.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #1069
raph27
Mad Scientist

Gamestop is now selling old games on their website: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/retro-classics
Usually I'm not a huge Gamestop fan, but the prices aren't as bad as I thought. Comparing to Ebay most are around the same price, and they are way cheaper than my local retro game store.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #1070
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Cool cool, gotta check that out

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #1071
raph27
Mad Scientist

I picked up a DK Bongo controller for $10 today at Half Price Books. They look like they're in pretty good condition, can't test them because I don't have a compatible game. Now I have a reason to get Jungle Beat.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #1072
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaeltheAwesome View Post
I picked up a DK Bongo controller for $10 today at Half Price Books. They look like they're in pretty good condition, can't test them because I don't have a compatible game. Now I have a reason to get Jungle Beat.
I found a Donkey Kong Jungle Beat set (boxed set that had the game & drum set inside) and picked it up pretty cheap. Opened the (*opened) box only to discover that everything inside was brand new & sealed... *sigh* I can't bring myself to open it so I still don't have a copy of Jungle Beat to play with my used set of drums either, lol.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:58 AM   #1073
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Last time I went to my local retro shop, they had two bongos and two copies of Jungle Beat and they've been there for months, longer than that Wavebird I think. Not sure I'm going to pick them up but it sounds fun.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #1074
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnatello Turtle Chick View Post
I found a Donkey Kong Jungle Beat set (boxed set that had the game & drum set inside) and picked it up pretty cheap. Opened the (*opened) box only to discover that everything inside was brand new & sealed... *sigh* I can't bring myself to open it so I still don't have a copy of Jungle Beat to play with my used set of drums either, lol.
Yeah, I hate that "don't want to open this feeling!"

I've actually picked up three sets of DK bongos over the past year for a grand total of about $10. I picked up the Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga games for pretty cheap too. I really enjoy playing Jungle Beat on the bongos, but since I live in an upstairs apartment, I have to restrain myself so as not to disturb the downstairs residents.

It's a real shame that Nintendo decided to not make the bongos bacward (or is it foward?) compatible with the Wii release of Barrel Blast. I've never played it because I heard it didn't work so well with the Wiimote control scheme.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #1075
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnatello Turtle Chick View Post
Eh, they're pretty worthless. You shouldn't feel bad about opening them. I can understand not opening sealed copies of certain games, or something you have an incredible attachment to, but otherwise I've never felt bad about opening new copies of old games I find or buy. It's actually a major trip. Opening up new copies of Gamecube games and SNES games in the last few years has been an absolute nostalgia bomb in the weirdest way.

Quote:
Last time I went to my local retro shop, they had two bongos and two copies of Jungle Beat and they've been there for months, longer than that Wavebird I think. Not sure I'm going to pick them up but it sounds fun.
They're not in very high demand, but the games actually sold surprisingly well, so there's a whole bunch of them cluttering up game stores and flea market stands. It's worth having a set just to play the Donkey Konga games.

I think I've talked about a lot of the memories and emotional attachments I have to those stupid f*cking bongos in here, as such I still have all my original Donkey Konga stuff, which includes the boxes for both the game/bongo sets. I also own all of the Japanese Donkey Konga games, which are totally worth owning for anyone who enjoys those games and has the ability to play them. I had a really amazing night a few months back playing both the original and Japanese Donkey Konga games with my fiance. They're still really fun.

Jungle Beat is OK, but I'm not the biggest fan. There's definitely something visceral about hitting and clapping to beat the sh*t out of stuff, but the general movement stuff just annoyed me.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #1076
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Do the Konga games have multiplayer, and if so, should I get two pairs of bongos?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #1077
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Do the Konga games have multiplayer, and if so, should I get two pairs of bongos?
I'm pretty sure that they have four player multiplayer. That's what it showed on the box. Get four bongos.

I saw a lot of other stuff at the store too. Is $30 a good price for Paper Mario TTYD?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #1078
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
It has multiplayer modes, but I've always found it better as a "pass and play" experience.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #1079
Prowler
Emperor

I'll never understand people who leave games unopened. I know there's all types of collectors out there, but my main reason for actually buying a game is, you know, being able to play it whenever I want to? Not gonna buy a crappy or unappealing game just so I can have it in my shelf. Don't see the point in that. As cool as it might be owning, let's say, every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game ever made, I don't like the idea of owning games like Shaq-Fu and Rise of the Robots . I'd just end up regretting buying them and think "I can't believe I've wasted money on this."

I can see, however, how some people will keep an open copy and a sealed one of the same game. But still, I don't really care if the game is a special edition or if it was the first cartridge/CD coming out of the production line. Such thigns are irrelevant to me.

I can understand not opening toys/action figures, since those can serve as decoration(although it'd be better to open them still...), but video games... can't see any other use for them than for playing.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #1080
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'll never understand people who leave games unopened. I know there's all types of collectors out there, but my main reason for actually buying a game is, you know, being able to play it whenever I want to? Not gonna buy a crappy or unappealing game just so I can have it in my shelf. Don't see the point in that. As cool as it might be owning, let's say, every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game ever made, I don't like the idea of owning games like Shaq-Fu and Rise of the Robots . I'd just end up regretting buying them and think "I can't believe I've wasted money on this."
Same. I have an incredibly curated collection. Buying sh*t for the sake of owning it is of no interest to me. I do understand why people enjoy it, but I'd never get over owning a collection that was 98% trash. There's too much garbage in every game library. I even have a few childhood NES/SNES games, the ironically named Fun House for the NES being one of them, that I have hidden away instead of openly visible, because I can't deal with displaying hot garbage.

Whatever I own sealed I own for a very specific reason and there are very few of them. There are a handful I'd like to get.

Quote:
I can understand not opening toys/action figures, since those can serve as decoration(although it'd be better to open them still...), but video games... can't see any other use for them than for playing.
That's a weird double standard. Toys are made for kids to play with, so keeping them in a box is just as pointless as keeping games sealed. Even collectors toys are made to be removed from the packaging and displayed openly, but again, I understand why people do it. People also use complete/sealed games as decoration. I have several on display in my game room.

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games