The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #1801
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I didn't dislike the second issue as much as I expected, based on previous comments here.

The main problem for me was the swimming pool full of Jokers. Is this "Three Jokers" or "Three Hundred Jokers"...?

The Babs/Jason encounter was a lot less steamy than I was expecting it. Shoulda just been a hug or a peck on the cheek, but it's small enough I can shrug and overlook it.

Feel like Babs hasn't done a ton yet, and there's only one issue left... hope this changes. So far, it's all been Jason and Jokers.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #1802
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

Feel like Babs hasn't done a ton yet, and there's only one issue left... hope this changes. So far, it's all been Jason and Jokers.
If the whole thing isn't to set up Babs to kill the Joker who shot her then I'll be quite surprised indeed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #1803
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If the whole thing isn't to set up Babs to kill the Joker who shot her then I'll be quite surprised indeed.
I mean, that's one of the only things I want out of this series. So it'd fvcking better. Why else bother with three Jokers?
Old 09-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #1804
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I mean, that's one of the only things I want out of this series. So it'd fvcking better. Why else bother with three Jokers?
Wait, you want Barbara to be a murderer? The one good thing out of all this is the classic design used for Batgirl.

So where is Dick Grayson and the rest during all this?

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #1805
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Wait, you want Barbara to be a murderer? The one good thing out of all this is the classic design used for Batgirl.
Oh please.

It's the fvcking Joker, and we have clowns to spare in this mini-series. DC can kill a Joker or two and not break a sweat; they'll be left with at least one so they can keep telling $hitty stories like Joker War for years to come.

Or do you really think it's moral to not kill the Joker?

The story's not canon, and Babs isn't Bruce. She's not going to become a monster if she takes one life.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #1806
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Oh please.

It's the fvcking Joker, and we have clowns to spare in this mini-series. DC can kill a Joker or two and not break a sweat; they'll be left with at least one so they can keep telling $hitty stories like Joker War for years to come.

Or do you really think it's moral to not kill the Joker?

The story's not canon, and Babs isn't Bruce. She's not going to become a monster if she takes one life.
I simply do not want her to cross the line and have blood on her heads, The Joker's or Joe Nobody, it does not matter. I like my favorite heroes upholding the no kill policy, the three classic Bat Family members, the TMNT, and Spider-Man. It may not be a defining trait of those not named Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker, but it is not something in the overall characters that would have them break and become a killer themselves. Now, I am referring to the non-black and white TMNT here just so we are clear. However, Dick is against killing and so is Barbara. Its a hard code to have to deal with and one that makes not sense with the frequency of The Joker in particular breaking out, but to allow for more stories it has to be done. In reality its no way he would frequently escape custody without being put to death, insanity plea really cannot apply with all that he has done. Its simple preference.

Its a shame that whichever Joker clone that was could not have killed Jason again or that Jason himself is a clone.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #1807
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I simply do not want her to cross the line and have blood on her heads, The Joker's or Joe Nobody, it does not matter. I like my favorite heroes upholding the no kill policy, the three classic Bat Family members, the TMNT, and Spider-Man.
The TMNT were never created or intended to be heroes. That's your fundamental mistake, right there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #1808
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I simply do not want her to cross the line and have blood on her heads, The Joker's or Joe Nobody, it does not matter. I like my favorite heroes upholding the no kill policy, the three classic Bat Family members, the TMNT, and Spider-Man.
Ya know who has blood on his hands? Batman.

Come on, man, we all know the business of comics and big-selling recurring arch nemeses, but you DO know that in real life, Bruce Wayne would be a terrible terrible person, right?
Old 09-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #1809
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Quote:
Ya know who has blood on his hands? Batman.

Come on, man, we all know the business of comics and big-selling recurring arch nemeses, but you DO know that in real life, Bruce Wayne would be a terrible terrible person, right?
While I hate what he had become by the time of Batman Beyond.... at least the DCAU showed the kind of cold, bitter, manipulative and ****ed up person Bruce was capable of becoming. Starting off as a younger, slightly more upbeat version in the Animated Series to becoming the old geezer no one can barely stand to be around anymore in Batman Beyond.

Like in the first seasons, Bruce would put on a more cheerful sounding persona, but in the DCAU tied-in seasons he didn't even pretend anymore, he was Batman all the time, either wearing the Batsuit or the business suit. It got to the point Tim even knew something was wrong with Bruce because he was smiling in a pre-recorded video before his disappearance, and that's as his Bruce persona, not Batman.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #1810
Leo656
The Franchise

Nobody over the age of 8 should think a "no-kill" policy is a good idea. It's absolutely insipid and insulting to any reader who's reached the age of reason.
No, the heroic characters shouldn't all be "The Punisher", but the idea that "Heroes Never Kill" is nothing but an editorial mandate in order to make comics and cartoons more acceptable for Kindergartners. It has NO basis in real life whatsoever. Find a soldier and tell them they're "Not a real hero" because they've killed a lot of people. See how far that gets you.

The mandate SHOULD be, "They TRY not to kill anyone, but sometimes you have to." Because that's not insulting the readers' intelligence the way "Good Guys Don't Kill" does. There's absolutely nothing wrong with killing Bad People. They try and dance around it in storyline with things like Bruce saying "If I start going down that road, I won't ever stop," but even that is just code for "If we have no bad guys left, we have to stop writing comics." It's all very transparent and treats the readers like idiots.

I'm fine with circumstances being such that Batman never actually GETS to kill the Joker, for example, so that they can keep writing stories. That's fine. BUT, if in-story Bruce Wayne does not WANT to kill the Joker by this point then he's a terrible person. We've long since reached the point where "I really need to kill this asshole" SHOULD be Bruce's motivation every time he encounters the Joker. Otherwise, he's fully complicit in every horrific thing Joker does, because he knows no prison can hold him and that he can't be rehabilitated. Therefore Bruce Wayne, being a rational person, really needs to approach every modern-day encounter with the Joker from the angle of wanting to end him once and for all. Anything else, again, insults the readers' intelligence and makes Bruce Wayne both a moron and a bad person.

Barbara, likewise, would also be a bad person if she doesn't want to kill Joker for what he did to her and a lot of other people. Or again, at the very least, an idiot.

All of that said, though... the thought of this story leading to that only makes me roll my eyes even harder. Because it's kind of becoming obvious to me what "the point" is. They want to present various members of the Batman Family having their own personal catharsis by killing whichever Joker had hurt them, BUT they don't want to break canon by writing Joker off permanently. Thus, "Multiple Jokers". Which kind of cuts the balls off the whole thing. "And YOU get to kill a Joker! And YOU get to kill a Joker!" Except there's still going to be a Joker when all of this is said and done, so it's all rather pointless and redundant.

Basically, they're absolutely right in-character for wanting to kill the Joker, and if they're NOT trying to kill him at this point then they're all complete morons. But this story seems like a really lame way of trying to have one's cake and eat it too, by letting them each kill their own personal Joker in a way that ultimately leaves no lasting impact on the ongoing mythos, because there will still be a Joker once it's over.

So yeah, I think that's what this story is leading to and I think it's dumb. However, I'd be perfectly fine if they start writing the Bat-characters more consistently as WANTING to kill him but never getting to (because if they did that's the end of the stories and we can't do that).

But yeah, "Good Guys Don't Kill" is nonsense. It just needs to be presented well when they do and this, to me, seems to be not a good example of it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Last edited by Leo656; 09-29-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #1811
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

There are quite a few thing to pick apart about The Joker War, but there is one thing that really stands out as a major hole in the overall story. The Joker is having Zorro played at the Crime Alley theater. Sure those stupid enough to willingly go to the theater lured to their death may not figure it out or if they do will not live to tell it. Its just what about the small amount of research people would have to do to find out Zorro was the film played the night of the Waynes double murder? If Joker wants to keep the information to himself and if Bruce is not outed indirectly through this it makes no sense. By playing Zorro people would figure it out.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #1812
ZariusTwo
Overlord

ROFL, in the same week as Babs and Jason share a kiss in Three Jokers, this week's issue of Batman: The Adventures Continue ends with Babs not only being tranquilised by Jason, but Jason also admits that he finds her 'obnoxious'
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #1813
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Nobody over the age of 8 should think a "no-kill" policy is a good idea. It's absolutely insipid and insulting to any reader who's reached the age of reason.
No, the heroic characters shouldn't all be "The Punisher", but the idea that "Heroes Never Kill" is nothing but an editorial mandate in order to make comics and cartoons more acceptable for Kindergartners. It has NO basis in real life whatsoever. Find a soldier and tell them they're "Not a real hero" because they've killed a lot of people. See how far that gets you.

The mandate SHOULD be, "They TRY not to kill anyone, but sometimes you have to." Because that's not insulting the readers' intelligence the way "Good Guys Don't Kill" does. There's absolutely nothing wrong with killing Bad People. They try and dance around it in storyline with things like Bruce saying "If I start going down that road, I won't ever stop," but even that is just code for "If we have no bad guys left, we have to stop writing comics." It's all very transparent and treats the readers like idiots.

I'm fine with circumstances being such that Batman never actually GETS to kill the Joker, for example, so that they can keep writing stories. That's fine. BUT, if in-story Bruce Wayne does not WANT to kill the Joker by this point then he's a terrible person. We've long since reached the point where "I really need to kill this asshole" SHOULD be Bruce's motivation every time he encounters the Joker. Otherwise, he's fully complicit in every horrific thing Joker does, because he knows no prison can hold him and that he can't be rehabilitated. Therefore Bruce Wayne, being a rational person, really needs to approach every modern-day encounter with the Joker from the angle of wanting to end him once and for all. Anything else, again, insults the readers' intelligence and makes Bruce Wayne both a moron and a bad person.

Barbara, likewise, would also be a bad person if she doesn't want to kill Joker for what he did to her and a lot of other people. Or again, at the very least, an idiot.

All of that said, though... the thought of this story leading to that only makes me roll my eyes even harder. Because it's kind of becoming obvious to me what "the point" is. They want to present various members of the Batman Family having their own personal catharsis by killing whichever Joker had hurt them, BUT they don't want to break canon by writing Joker off permanently. Thus, "Multiple Jokers". Which kind of cuts the balls off the whole thing. "And YOU get to kill a Joker! And YOU get to kill a Joker!" Except there's still going to be a Joker when all of this is said and done, so it's all rather pointless and redundant.

Basically, they're absolutely right in-character for wanting to kill the Joker, and if they're NOT trying to kill him at this point then they're all complete morons. But this story seems like a really lame way of trying to have one's cake and eat it too, by letting them each kill their own personal Joker in a way that ultimately leaves no lasting impact on the ongoing mythos, because there will still be a Joker once it's over.

So yeah, I think that's what this story is leading to and I think it's dumb. However, I'd be perfectly fine if they start writing the Bat-characters more consistently as WANTING to kill him but never getting to (because if they did that's the end of the stories and we can't do that).

But yeah, "Good Guys Don't Kill" is nonsense. It just needs to be presented well when they do and this, to me, seems to be not a good example of it.
Well said. I tend to have more flexibility with this rule, but if you are crafting a universe similar enough to our own, I'd mostly agree. I'm really just leaving room for creative juice, because almost anything can work with the right approach. Generally speaking, I agree with your points.

Batman is an interesting example though, because he's so flexible. If you want, you can throw some logic out the window alongside Bruce's mental stability. For instance, Batman doesn't kill because he views his true enemy as being "death" itself. That's what that night in Crime Alley did to him. He already acts in other questionable ways, so it seems plausible to me. I haven't seen that played up much, but I like the idea of it. Again, I feel it all depends.
I can't deny that I've rolled my eyes at Batman tossing yet another criminal into Arkham, when the outcome is so obvious, the characters and the readers would both have to be dumb not to know it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #1814
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Tynion hypes up Batman#100 in his newsletter..and teases more of Babs in the Oracle role for 2021

https://jamestynioniv.substack.com/p...g-the-momentum
Old 10-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #1815
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Tynion hypes up Batman#100 in his newsletter..and teases more of Babs in the Oracle role for 2021

https://jamestynioniv.substack.com/p...g-the-momentum
Ya know, I really liked his run on Detective Comics back during Rebirth.

But I can't think of a single thing he's done on the main Batman title that I've liked. It's all been nothing but empty hype and boring as hell tropes.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #1816
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Issue 100

Spoiler:
It was kind of blah. Harley saves Bruce from getting his ass handed to him, but then runs into a chemical fire to force Bruce to rescue her and leave Joker to die while strapped to a bomb. Harley now knows Bruce is Batman also Joker manages to disable the bomb and later kills a civilian and alters the body to look like him so people will assume he's dead.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #1817
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Tyion is the first writer to be introduced to Harley Quinn as a kid on Batman TAS and he is major fanboy of her character.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #1818
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Issue 100

Spoiler:
It was kind of blah. Harley saves Bruce from getting his ass handed to him, but then runs into a chemical fire to force Bruce to rescue her and leave Joker to die while strapped to a bomb. Harley now knows Bruce is Batman also Joker manages to disable the bomb and later kills a civilian and alters the body to look like him so people will assume he's dead.
If Harley really cared about killin' Poppa J, she'd have simply shot him in the head. None of this bomb nonsense.

Ah, comics...
Old 10-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #1819
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Future State runs from January to February and is all about even more potential DC futures, they were supposed to lead to something (5g) but aren't anymore, and the plans for them have taken on a new shape.

https://www.gamesradar.com/scott-sny...te-connection/
Old 10-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #1820
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Scott Snyder spoils a lot of Death Metal on his and Tynion's panel at NYCC, saying Diana comes to the realisation sweeping whole histories of the DC Universe the way the likes of Prime or the Anti-Monitor would is wrong. Every story matters, and every action has to be accounted for, this will be the roadmap for DC going forward.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/scot...your-mistakes/

Tynion in the meantime discusses Batman's renewed purpose and drive to build a better version of himself

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jame...has-to-change/

Tags
batman, bendis, crisis of infinite sjws, dc comics, doomsdaycock, infinite cucks, superman, wonder woman