The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Favourite Super Smash Bros. game:
Smash 64 1 11.11%
Melee 2 22.22%
Brawl 2 22.22%
Wii U/3DS 4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,873
Favourite Smash Bros. Game and Top 5 favourite Characters?

I thought this was a good thread idea since I'm guessing many dromers here are gamers and most probably have heard of super smash bros, if they aren't fans of it already.

Anyways, what is your favourite Smash game and who are your top 5 characters? Mine is definetly Melee, although I grew up with Brawl and Smash 64 as well so those two are tied for my second favourite. I have never ever played Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS.

In terms of favourite characters, my top 5 are only the Melee versions as that's the only smash game I play nowdays, having not played Brawl in over 8 years and only occassionaly visiting Smash 64. Anyways, they are as follows:

1. Mewtwo
2. Pichu
3. Fox
4. Ness
5. Bowser
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,755
Considering I haven't played the original Smash nor Brawl, I cannot vote. That being said, Smash Wii U/3DS is fun but not as fun as Melee was back in the day, Maybe cuz I was only 12 years old when I was playing Melee on a daily basis, I dunno.

As for favourite characters... a top five? Eh lemme see, in no order:

Fox (he was a BEAST in Melee)
Ryu
Roy
Link

Ah screw it, can't pick more than 4. It varies. Screw Jigglypuff and Olimar btw. Off all the cool Pokémon out there, why the hell did they have to make Jigglypuff a playable one, let alone a goddamn regular of the franchise?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Off all the cool Pokémon out there, why the hell did they have to make Jigglypuff a playable one, let alone a goddamn regular of the franchise?
I think they did because she was popular in Japan, easy to make due to her similarities to Kirby and female so it would attract a wider audience.

However, I do wish Meowth was in the game instead. He's the one regular Pokemon to date in the anime aside from Pikachu while puff is irrelevant now. I would've found Meowth far more fascinating to play as with his usage of coins, claws and his tail than puff who feels kinda generic character who relies on rest spam.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-22-2017 at 09:20 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I think they did because she was popular in Japan, easy to make due to her similarities to Kirby and female so it would attract a wider audience.

However, I do wish Meowth was in the game instead. He's the one regular Pokemon to date aside from puff who's irrelevant now. I would've found Meowth far more fascinating to play as then puff.
Oh really? Jigglypuff that popular in Japan? Ad despite the physical similarities Jigglypuff wasn't much of a Kirby clone moveset wise iirc.

And speaking of clones, I've always found it funny and odd how Ganondorf became a clone of Captain Falcon of all characters. I mean, come on now, Ganondorf deserved to have a more original moveset.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,873
True, Jigglypuff wasn't really a Kirby clone aside from being a ball that could jump 5 times but I think they chose her because she would be much easier to make as a ball character than say, Meowth or Mewtwo who would be more complex with their tails, limbs and projectiles.

I'm not really knowledgeable about it, but I read somewhere that during the making of ssb64, Pokemania was at its highest in Japan with Plush dolls being sold everywhere and that puff was one of the most popular. I bet if smash 64 wasn't originally meant for Japan only, then they would've reconsidered having Meowth instead of Puff since he's far more popular and recognisable in America than her.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
True, Jigglypuff wasn't really a Kirby clone aside from being a ball that could jump 5 times but I think they chose her because she would be much easier to make as a ball character than say, Meowth or Mewtwo who would be more complex with their tails, limbs and projectiles.

I'm not really knowledgeable about it, but I read somewhere that during the making of ssb64, Pokemania was at its highest in Japan with Plush dolls being sold everywhere and that puff was one of the most popular. I bet if smash 64 wasn't originally meant for Japan only, then they would've reconsidered having Meowth instead of Puff since he's far more popular and recognisable in America than her.
That's a good point.

Tbh I don't like Pikachu much either. Even in Pokémon games(well in RBY at least= he's not much to write home about. Raichu however is pretty strong, but in Yellow you can't even evolve Pikachu.

Charizard is cool but his forward B attack can go very wrong and also drains his health. I wonder if we'll ever see Blastoise as a playable fighter.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,505
Wii U and 3DS are definitely the best. All the content is unbelievable. As for characters they are Pikachu, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, Ludwig, and Shulk.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,670
I never had more fun than with the OG Super Smash Bros.

Favorite character is Pikachu, I was too deep into the Pokemon fad to choose another character and after the fad died I tried to main another character but I could never get used to any other character.
__________________
@0sdp
TMNT articles @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That's a good point.

Tbh I don't like Pikachu much either. Even in Pokémon games(well in RBY at least= he's not much to write home about. Raichu however is pretty strong, but in Yellow you can't even evolve Pikachu.

Charizard is cool but his forward B attack can go very wrong and also drains his health. I wonder if we'll ever see Blastoise as a playable fighter.
I think the next most likely starter Pokémon to be playable in the next smash game is Decidueye since he's from the latest generation, is one of Ash's pokemon in the anime and is a grass type, completing the circle of having fully evolved starters of all 3 types (Charizard, Greninja and Decidueye). Not to mention he's pretty popular.

The other Pokémon I really want is Pichu as I loved him in Melee, even more than Pikachu since he's smaller/faster and you have to find creative ways to rack up damage without damaging yourself.

So, my ideal list of the playable Pokémon for the next Smash Game would be:

1. Pikachu
2. Jigglypuff
3. Mewtwo
4. Pichu
5. Charizard
6. Lucario
7. Greninja
8. Decidueye
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
The Deadman
Mad Scientist
 
The Deadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,149
I like the Wii U version, If I had a top 5 it would be:

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Sonic
Mario
Link
__________________

Last Movie Watched: Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E2).
Last Video Game Played: NBA Live 18 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MO
Posts: 1,698
Melee is my favorite. Spent years playing it with friends. Wii U/3DS would be a lot better if it wasn't for all the damn characters with swords and most of the DLC characters being OP.

I usually stick to the same two characters:
1. Kirby
2. Ness

I've always been good with Kirby in whichever of the Smash games and Ness is from my favorite game series of all time, so I've never felt the need to dedicate time to getting good with any of the other characters.
__________________

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,649
All the games have a different feel from one another for me, as well as various ups and downs, I find it very hard to pick a fave.

But characters are another story. When I tell you my favourite Smash characters are Mewtwo, Bayonetta, Snake, Ness, and Pac-Man, does it make more sense that I can't choose just ONE Smash game?
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post

But characters are another story. When I tell you my favourite Smash characters are Mewtwo, Bayonetta, Snake, Ness, and Pac-Man, does it make more sense that I can't choose just ONE Smash game?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic because four of those five characters are in one game.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic because four of those five characters are in one game.
I thought we were done with antagonising me. Go away.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 PM   #15
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,505
Uuuuuh what? I'm really just trying to figure out what you're saying about a video game.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,873
Cures just being Cure, I'm sure he means no harm
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #17
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,670
He's just pointing out an incoherent thought. I don't really understand it either.
__________________
@0sdp
TMNT articles @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #18
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 24,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I thought we were done with antagonising me. Go away.
What? You serious?
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #19
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,505
Haha, wow. You need to relax, man. You would be a lot easier to get along with if you stopped thinking the world was out to get you and playing the victim.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #20
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,707
I definitely opt for the newest Smash Bros. But, I didn't get into it until Brawl, so there's no nostalgia factor, and I've hardly played N64 or Melee.

My top five characters:
1. Cloud
2. Ryu
3. Pac-Man
4. Falco
5. Sonic

You can tell I didn't grow up with Nintendo stuff. The additions of Sonic, Ryu and Cloud did wonders for drawing me in. It's nice to have characters I love, battling each other, to get a taste of what this game must feel like for big time Nintendo fans. I love Nintendo, now, I just didn't grow up with their consoles. I irritate my friends, because I pick Cloud's stage every time.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.