The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #21
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles: Genesis/Mega Drive, GameCube (Sonic Mega Collection), DS (Sonic Classic Collection) and Wii (Virtual Console)
Oh, yeah, I've also got various legal digital redundant copies of the Sonic games (and associated Sega properties) through Sonic Jam on Saturn, 90s PC ports, PS2 and Gamecube Mega Collections, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox360), ATgames clone systems, and now Steam. Oddly, I have little desire to buy the DS compilation unless somebody REALLY recommends it.

Of the collections/re-releases I've played, the Sonic Jam presentation on Saturn is probably my favorite, as the developers added some subtle little twists that enhance the experience for veteran and novice players like the hilarious Easy Mode and the sound quality. But the Steam versions are fun because of Sega's embrace of the fan-mod community, so while compiling the old roms wasn't anything special, the user-uploaded customization keeps it interesting. In many ports of the Genesis games, the sound effects and music emulation deflate some of the original brilliance.

But sitting down to play the original carts on original SEGA hardware is still my favorite way to go!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 05-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #22
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,154
Resident Evil 4 for me. I've actually bought many Resident Evil games multiple times but RE4 takes the cake. I got it on Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, and Xbox One (both physically and digitally).
__________________
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:07 AM   #23
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Oh, yeah, I've also got various legal digital redundant copies of the Sonic games (and associated Sega properties) through Sonic Jam on Saturn, 90s PC ports, PS2 and Gamecube Mega Collections, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox360), ATgames clone systems, and now Steam. Oddly, I have little desire to buy the DS compilation unless somebody REALLY recommends it.

Of the collections/re-releases I've played, the Sonic Jam presentation on Saturn is probably my favorite, as the developers added some subtle little twists that enhance the experience for veteran and novice players like the hilarious Easy Mode and the sound quality. But the Steam versions are fun because of Sega's embrace of the fan-mod community, so while the old roms aren't anything special, the user-uploaded customization keeps it interesting. In many ports of the Genesis games, the sound effects and music emulation deflate some of the original brilliance.

But sitting down to play the original carts on original SEGA hardware is still my favorite way to go!
The thing about Sonic Jam is that the Sonic World thing where you're walking around in a 3D environment looked pretty good for the time. And that made you just want a proper 3D Sonic game. Instead we just got Sonic 3D Blast which was garbage.
__________________
Last.FM | Myanimelist | Letterboxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The thing about Sonic Jam is that the Sonic World thing where you're walking around in a 3D environment looked pretty good for the time. And that made you just want a proper 3D Sonic game. Instead we just got Sonic 3D Blast which was garbage.
I didn't mind Sonic 3D Blast and I think it was fine to sell a few carts on Genesis, but it certainly wasn't what the Saturn needed in place of a proper 3D Sonic. On the bright side, the Saturn-exclusive 3D bonus stages in Sonic Blast were a late 90s treat. And I liked Sonic R, although I've only played the PC (arguably superior to the Saturn) and Gamecube ports. Messing around with the 3D Sonic in Christmas NiGHTS was also fun as a gag.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #25
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I didn't mind Sonic 3D Blast and I think it was fine to sell a few carts on Genesis, but it certainly wasn't what the Saturn needed in place of a proper 3D Sonic. On the bright side, the Saturn-exclusive 3D bonus stages in Sonic Blast were a late 90s treat. And I liked Sonic R, although I've only played the PC (arguably superior to the Saturn) and Gamecube ports. Messing around with the 3D Sonic in Christmas NiGHTS was also fun as a gag.
Sonic kinda began falling off the radar around the time Saturn came out. Adventure was probably his last hurrah as far as being mainstream goes. Or have any of the recent 3DS Sonic titles been able to sorta revive him?
__________________
Last.FM | Myanimelist | Letterboxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #26
sdp
Post-Dream-Pop
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cholula
Posts: 4,874
I've got no idea but definitely Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda with Sonic likely coming second. I don't think I even want to count how many times I've bought them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #27
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,114
Btw, how many of you bought all of those updated versions of Street Fighter? Me and my brother own Street Fighter II: World Warrior and also Super Street Fighter II. And then he bought Street Fighter II Turbo off the Nintendo Wii shop back in 2007 or 2008.

I waited until Ultra to finally buy Street Fighter 4, though.

The thing about fighters having vanilla and updated versions is that sometimes their vanilla releases don't have very balanced characters and that makes competitive fighting worse. World Warrior is very bare bones compared to later versions of SF II. And people complained about Sagat being too overpowered in the vanilla version of SF4. Not to mention later editions added more characters.
__________________
Last.FM | Myanimelist | Letterboxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #28
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Btw, how many of you bought all of those updated versions of Street Fighter? Me and my brother own Street Fighter II: World Warrior and also Super Street Fighter II. And then he bought Street Fighter II Turbo off the Nintendo Wii shop back in 2007 or 2008.
Yeah, I think I own three Street Fighter carts on SNES and two on Genesis. And then I bought the compilation discs that came out on PS2.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #29
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Yeah, I think I own three Street Fighter carts on SNES and two on Genesis. And then I bought the compilation discs that came out on PS2.
Huh don't like those. Playing SFII with loading screens is not fun. A real shame that Super Street Fighter II Turbo didn't get a very proper release. Supposedly its best console version is on the 3DO.. a console very few people owned.
__________________
Last.FM | Myanimelist | Letterboxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #30
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,653
Sonic Adventure 2, easily

I bought this game for myself twice because the first one was returned to me unplayable because a relative scratched it, I will mention but not officially count the third copy that was purchased for me as a gift because the friend I loaned my second copy to lost/damaged it, and I've also purchased the game once for 2 other different systems [so i have it on pc, dreamcast, and gamecube]... and on top of it I've purchased it one extra time as a gift for someone else.

Look, I really like chao gardens, okay
__________________

me @ u
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #31
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Look, I really like chao gardens, okay
I try not to judge one's gameplay preferences.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 29,720
Come to think of it probably the original Super Mario Bros 1. I have:

- NES cart of Super Mario Bros. 1
- Super Mario All-stars for SNES, which has a remake of Mario 1
- Mario Bros. Deluxe for GBC, which was a port of Mario 1
- Super Mario Bros. 1 on Wii VC
- Super Mario Bros. 1 on 3DS (although I got this for free)
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #33
Ninjinister
Don't break the law
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 12,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Btw, how many of you bought all of those updated versions of Street Fighter? Me and my brother own Street Fighter II: World Warrior and also Super Street Fighter II. And then he bought Street Fighter II Turbo off the Nintendo Wii shop back in 2007 or 2008.

I waited until Ultra to finally buy Street Fighter 4, though.

The thing about fighters having vanilla and updated versions is that sometimes their vanilla releases don't have very balanced characters and that makes competitive fighting worse. World Warrior is very bare bones compared to later versions of SF II. And people complained about Sagat being too overpowered in the vanilla version of SF4. Not to mention later editions added more characters.
Oh lord if we're doing incarnations I easily have multiple versions of SF II. Not to mention all 4 disc releases of SF4 on 360....
__________________
Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #34
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Not to mention all 4 disc releases of SF4 on 360....
Holy cow, there were four of them? I only remember three editions: original, "Arcade" and "Ultra"!

So tell me, if I want to buy just one, which one should I track down?
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #35
Ninjinister
Don't break the law
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 12,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Holy cow, there were four of them? I only remember three editions: original, "Arcade" and "Ultra"!

So tell me, if I want to buy just one, which one should I track down?


Ultra is the only one you'd really need if you're not me.
__________________
Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #36
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 919
Mario 3 or Street Fighter 2. I've also bought multiple versions of Street Fighter 4 as well.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #37
Allio
Mad Scientist
 
Allio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,375
eh? not really much? Only thing I did rebuy was the remastered version of darksiders 1 on the ps4. It was about 12 dollars so I thought I pick it up.
__________________

Last edited by Allio; 04-16-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #38
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Huh don't like those. Playing SFII with loading screens is not fun. A real shame that Super Street Fighter II Turbo didn't get a very proper release. Supposedly its best console version is on the 3DO.. a console very few people owned.
What's really lame is I think they're gonna charge full price for the SF2 version on Switch too right? I'm sure I'll be a sucker and buy it but dang that game should be more than $25 at this point. If that.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #39
Tyma
Random Punk
 
Tyma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Wales
Posts: 20
As dumb as it sounds, the game I've bought the most is flea-markey copies of Mario Kart Wii.

I can't help it that so many people insist on selling it to me for $0.50.
Tyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #40
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,653
Man it would have been nice to find that one that cheap, I had to skip it
__________________

me @ u
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.