The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Was this a good approach?
Yes 23 74.19%
No 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 2,020
Did you like the Nick show using old characters?

I don't mean as in using the standard tmnt characters from mirage like Leatherhead, the Rat King, Casey Jones and so on or any of the main cast.

I'm talking about the show using version exclusive characters in their show such as Bebop and Rocksteady, Bishop, Slash, Metalhead, the Neutrinos, Razhar, Tokka and so on.

Did you like the Nick show doing this and Did it make the show better or make it lose its unique identity?

Lastly, Would you like to see the next tmnt show take this approach?

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-17-2017 at 06:32 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Fishface
Foot Soldier
 
Fishface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
I have very mixed opinions about this. While it is cool to see some semi obscure characters return into light and not fade off into obscurity, they haven't always done this right. An example of this would be the Neutrinos, sure they are a different take on the originals but they just are not to memorable and I kid you not but I thought they were just some army warriors and some Rock Soldier minions of General Traag. I also thought another theory that the Rock designs were just robotic suits and the real alien teenagers from the 80's who we all know and love but sadly we will never know since at this point it seems unlikely we will ever see them again, considering the fact that the show has not been renewed for a sixth season.

Another thing I am annoyed with is Mona Lisa. I find her annoyingly overrated, especially with the fan girls. I don't hate her but I find it annoying how she was only brought into the show because of fan service and she was very forced into the plot and her episodes were rushed (I still think The Evil of Dregg is the was one of the lowest of the 2012 series to date).

Honestly though, there are still many great 2012 reintroductions like Bebop, Rocksteady, Hun, Tatsu, Renet, Mondo Gecko, Slash, Wingnut, Screwloose, Armaggon, Rahzar, Triceratons, Scumbug, Antrax and Mutagen Man!
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,480
Depends on what the characters were and as far as I'm concerned they came in four varieties on a spectrum:
  1. Pretty much the same as always: Splinter, Shredder, Turtles etc.
  2. Relatively minor difference but recognisable: Rat King, Casey, Hun, Karai (Before snake powers)
  3. Really different but still in the realm of recognisable: Bishop, Bebop, Rocksteady, Rahzar, April, Karai (After snake powers)
  4. Why the hell not just make a new character to begin with?: Tokka, Neutrinos, Hothead, Wyrm.

That last really confused me, what's the point? The show clearly had no problem creating new characters, so why even bother? In Hothead's case he might as well even be Drako given how little he has to do with the original Hothead, his backstory and role even matches Drako a lot better than Hothead's.

Above that, it's pretty much a mixed bag, I don't like Karai's snake powers but I'm fine with the Rat King being a blind psychic and I have rather mixed feelings about Bishop basically being an amalgam of Bishop and Mortu. Hard to give a concrete opinion on such a broad subject.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MO
Posts: 1,724
While overall it was cool seeing old/obscure characters get some modern-day representation, they didn't really pull them off good. A lot of them were in-name-only, lame, or just decent. They could've put more thought into them, and made them better.
__________________

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,958
I don't care, really, but it does strike me as odd that what characters that would otherwise seem tailor-made for the show with their existing backstories mostly intact like Wingnut and Screwloose (refugees from a planet besieged by Krang) get completely changed (now they're... comic book characters given magical life?).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,001
I voted 'no' because of how the characters were used. Old character in name only was much more common than using old characters. Its a main reason I prefer IDW to the Nicktoon. Would I want to see these characters again beyond in name only? Yes,definitely!
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,086
I like them using Karai, Leatherhead, Rat King, Slash, Rahzar, Rocksteady and Bebop.

It did feel that there were too many characters in the show and it's because fans kept asking Ciro and Brandon to add these old characters.

Mona Lisa was one of these characters that fans were asking for and Ciro and Brandon listened to them but it end up a lot of people didn't like her and didn't like her relationship with Raph.

So if Brandon and Ciro didn't listen to fans then we wouldn't have seen these extra characters.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I like them using Karai, Leatherhead, Rat King, Slash, Rahzar, Rocksteady and Bebop.

It did feel that there were too many characters in the show and it's because fans kept asking Ciro and Brandon to add these old characters.
Bebop and Rocksteady were always going to be there. It was pretty alarming to me the number of people on this board that were flabbergasted when they were announced.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Bebop and Rocksteady were always going to be there. It was pretty alarming to me the number of people on this board that were flabbergasted when they were announced.
Read my post again

Quote:
I like them using Karai, Leatherhead, Rat King, Slash, Rahzar, Rocksteady and Bebop.

It did feel that there were too many characters in the show and it's because fans kept asking Ciro and Brandon to add these old characters.

Mona Lisa was one of these characters that fans were asking for and Ciro and Brandon listened to them but it end up a lot of people didn't like her and didn't like her relationship with Raph.

So if Brandon and Ciro didn't listen to fans then we wouldn't have seen these extra characters.
I never said Bebop and Rocksteady, i'm talking about other old characters. Like Mona Lisa, Armaggon, Bishop, Wingnut and Screwloose ect. The only reason they were in this show is because fans kept asking for them and Brandon and Ciro listened to them.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 2,020
I generally like most of the old characters reimagined, whether they are similar to the originals or completely different. I like Nick Bebop, Rocksteady, Razhar, Tokka, Mona Lisa, Mondo Gecko, Muckman, Lord Dregg, Wingnut, Screwloose, Metalhead, Slash and Pigeon Pete.

The only types of characters I didn't like were the ones that had been firmly established in previous versions and then were nothing like the originals in the Nick show. These include Hun, Bishop and the worst offenders, the Neutrinos.

While characters like Razhar, Tokka, Slash and Pigeon Pete were also guilty of not being faithful to the originals, they weren't firmly established in the originals so it felt more natural for Nick to use them, hence why I like their reimaginings.

Characters like the Neutrinos on the other hand were very well established in their show and they left an Impression on the tmnt fandom, who would always associate the name with the characters portrayed in the FW toon. Using that name in the Nick toon for something completely unrelated felt very off, as did calling Nicks version of Mortu "Bishop" and just placing the Hun label on Bruce Lee.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Rocksteady and Bebop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I never said Bebop and Rocksteady, i'm talking about other old characters.
?

Quote:
Like Mona Lisa, Armaggon, Bishop, Wingnut and Screwloose ect. The only reason they were in this show is because fans kept asking for them and Brandon and Ciro listened to them.
That's not true either. Concept art from before the show began:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

The only types of characters I didn't like were the ones that had been firmly established in previous versions and then were nothing like the originals in the Nick show. These include Hun, Bishop and the worst offenders, the Neutrinos.
What on earth? Nick's Bishop is very close to 4kids Bishop, only difference is he's an Utrom, which is a nod toward Utrom Shredder in 4kids. His design is nearly identical, runs the EPF, still fights the same way, etc. Nick's Bishop is perfect for their story.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
?



That's not true either. Concept art from before the show began:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...ngnut_%262.jpg
Obviously your still confused of what I said

I like Nick using old Characters like Rocksteady and Bebop, Karai, Leatherhead, Rahzar and Rat King.

But it did feel there were too many other old characters that shouldn't have been in this show and the only reason they were in this show is because Ciro and Brandon listened to fans.

I expect there were a lot of concept art on characters they did and decided not to use them

Wingnut and Screwloose didn't get used until season 4 and i've seen plenty of people asking Ciro and Brandon to add them in to this show and that's including Mona Lisa, Bishop and Armaggon.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,770
Some felt forced for nostalgic reasons, like the Neutrinos and Wingnut and Screwloose. But others, like Bebop, Rocksteady, Armaggon and Tatsu, are OK.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #15
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What on earth? Nick's Bishop is very close to 4kids Bishop, only difference is he's an Utrom, which is a nod toward Utrom Shredder in 4kids. His design is nearly identical, runs the EPF, still fights the same way, etc. Nick's Bishop is perfect for their story.
Nick Bishop was never like 2k3 Bishop

Nick Bishop is an alien wasn't an evil villain
2k3 Bishop is a human and was an evil villain, who liked to experiment and dissect things.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I voted 'no' because of how the characters were used. Old character in name only was much more common than using old characters. Its a main reason I prefer IDW to the Nicktoon. Would I want to see these characters again beyond in name only? Yes,definitely!
You claim Nick's characters are in "name only." Yet the vast majority of IDW used old characters are in "name only" as well. I don't understand your double standards.

In IDW:

- Krang is now an actual Utrom, instead of a disembodied brain from Dimension X. Now he's trying to rebuild his Utrom.

- Bebop/Rocksteady have superhuman strength and regeneration powers

- Rat King is an immortal God part of the Pantheon, and IDW's design for him looks vastly different than all previous Rat Kings

- Hun is now Casey's father

- Karai is Shredder's great+ granddaughter

- Slash is now a huge hulking character and ally of the Turtles rather than the maniac he was known for prior to 2011

- Fugitoid is a Neutrino

- The Triceratons were now mutated on Earth, instead of a natural born alien race

- Mutagen Man, Man Ray, Mondo Gecko, etc. now have new/different origins than what they're initially known for

And the biggest of all:

- The Turtles are now reincarnated humans from Feudal Japan!!!!!

etc.

I could go on and on. But I don't understand these bizarre double standards when all the IDW incarnations of the characters are also new or updated. You can say the "name only" thing here as well, which puts into perspective how ridiculous this argument is. Of course everyone is going to update characters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #17
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post

Nick Bishop is an alien wasn't an evil villain
2k3 Bishop is a human and was an evil villain, who liked to experiment and dissect things.
I wouldn't call Bishop evil. More like a dark shade of moral gray since everything he did in the show proper was do things that he felt were for a greater good. And the Turtles were just expendable resource that he felt could be sacrificed for the protection of the earth.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Nick Bishop was never like 2k3 Bishop

Nick Bishop is an alien wasn't an evil villain
2k3 Bishop is a human and was an evil villain, who liked to experiment and dissect things.
Bishop was never evil in 4kids, he was always trying to save or protect the Earth from aliens or mutants. He just had shades of gray and was ambiguous because he thought his cause was just. He formed an alliance with the Turtles by Season 4, worked with them in Season 5 to stop Demon Shredder, and we know he becomes President of Earth in the future.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,076
Cybercubed does not understand nuance. Only loyalty.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,086
He still did bad things though.

He did turn a human into a monster in Dragon's Brew.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nick show

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.