The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #81
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Oops!! I just remembered the were dark blue in "Muckman Messes Up" as well. Brain fart!!
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #82
Danetello
Stone Warrior

I noticed that the thread I started for 'Plan 6 From Outer Space' has not been made link-able in the first post on this thread, which makes it hard to find!
Here's the link:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=44004

Danetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #83
sdp
-

Thanks for letting me know, I added it, if there's any others I've missed please post them here.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #84
neatoman
Emperor

So I've watched maybe 30 or so episodes of the 1987 cartoon.

It's... Really boring and it gets even more boring with each episode I watch.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #85
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

I don't see what's boring about it, depending on which eps you're watching.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 AM   #86
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't see what's boring about it, depending on which eps you're watching.
Repetitive plots, padding, lack of story and comedy that seems more content with mentioning bad pizza toppings or dull one-liners rather than setting up funny scenarios.

Last edited by neatoman; 07-28-2014 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #87
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Fun fact: A lot of that can be easily applied to the Nick show as well.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 07-30-2014 at 07:17 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #88
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Fun fact: A lot of that can be easily applied to the Nick show as well.
Yeah the Nick show does have some lame pizza comedy, repetition and a slow story but at least it tries to have decent comedy, variety and a story. It might be a little lame that Parasitica and Pizza Face are basically different takes on the same basic idea with the same character or that the Mutagen Man arc seems to have been shelved for at least 18 episodes just to make room for mutant zits, pizza monsters, DnD parody and a body switch episode. But you know, at least it's not 25 random episodes that lead nowhere either in story or character development with a sudden Technodrome attack for episode 26 and then another 25 random episodes ending the 26th as a Technodrome episode...
Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #89
Mutagen
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

Its the other way around for me. I love the animation style, with painted backgrounds, love the designs and the quirkiness of it. The show realy shows everything that was cool about the 80s, it has originality, uniqueness and its just whacky and bizarre. Its like Bizzarro's World, thats what I love about it. Like in Turtles Forever cartoon, the 03 turtles said this 80s world is weird and odd, and thats precisely why i love it. its designs, feel, everything is so crazy and downright surreal. The technodrome - Death Star with a big eye, krang - a brain in a stomach of a fat guy looking like the mutated guy from Goonies with 80s techno sunglasses, its all great, its all bizarre, I enjoy the insane surrealism of it all. And Shredder is the cream of the crop, i love his visual design and i love the fact that (intentionally) he does resemble Darth Vader and they also voiced him with a black actor.

its simply a lot of fun, even for an adult, and especially for art fans, such as myself, i love the art of older cartoons, especially the good old max fleisher cartoons, and tmnt resemble that a bit with the background work. Im a big fan of that animation style

the 03 series, ah, its just not my thing, its trying to be serious and just looks ridiculous by doing so, for me. Its insanely generic, it looks and feels like any other nick show, theres no whackiness, originality or anything fun or special about it at all, but im glad and ill give them credit for the fact that they tried to go their own way instead of just copying the original classics. Im giving them thumbs up for going their own way, which in itself is interesting because it creates an existence of two very different interpretations of the same mythology. I also dislike that generic, blocky, squarish manga-like style animation, its personally not my thing

Last edited by Mutagen; 08-08-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #90
TMNT_1987
Random Punk

Just arrived. Weekend sorted

TMNT_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #91
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

^ Heck yea man! Hope you enjoy it also!
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #92
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutagen View Post
Its the other way around for me. I love the animation style, with painted backgrounds, love the designs and the quirkiness of it. The show realy shows everything that was cool about the 80s, it has originality, uniqueness and its just whacky and bizarre. Its like Bizzarro's World, thats what I love about it. Like in Turtles Forever cartoon, the 03 turtles said this 80s world is weird and odd, and thats precisely why i love it. its designs, feel, everything is so crazy and downright surreal. The technodrome - Death Star with a big eye, krang - a brain in a stomach of a fat guy looking like the mutated guy from Goonies with 80s techno sunglasses, its all great, its all bizarre, I enjoy the insane surrealism of it all. And Shredder is the cream of the crop, i love his visual design and i love the fact that (intentionally) he does resemble Darth Vader and they also voiced him with a black actor.

its simply a lot of fun, even for an adult, and especially for art fans, such as myself, i love the art of older cartoons, especially the good old max fleisher cartoons, and tmnt resemble that a bit with the background work. Im a big fan of that animation style

the 03 series, ah, its just not my thing, its trying to be serious and just looks ridiculous by doing so, for me. Its insanely generic, it looks and feels like any other nick show, theres no whackiness, originality or anything fun or special about it at all, but im glad and ill give them credit for the fact that they tried to go their own way instead of just copying the original classics. Im giving them thumbs up for going their own way, which in itself is interesting because it creates an existence of two very different interpretations of the same mythology. I also dislike that generic, blocky, squarish manga-like style animation, its personally not my thing
I've watched a few episodes of both the 2k3 and Nick TMNT and honestly the 80's OT just seems to win out the most for me. Both versions are good in their creativeness, voice acting skills, and even had some decent story plots. And maybe I'll grow to truly enjoy all three versions of TMNT.

But the 80's TMNT version just feels 'right' in it's own way for me as well.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #93
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I've watched a few episodes of both the 2k3 and Nick TMNT and honestly the 80's OT just seems to win out the most for me. Both versions are good in their creativeness, voice acting skills, and even had some decent story plots. And maybe I'll grow to truly enjoy all three versions of TMNT.

But the 80's TMNT version just feels 'right' in it's own way for me as well.
The things I loved about the OT were all of Krang's gadgets and the might of the Technodrome, even though it was always trapped somewhere. I fell in love with that fortress from day one. The turtles were in first place but I loved the main villains in that show quite a lot. Still do in fact.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #94
CyberCubed
Overlord

I love how the old show is so ridiculous any plot could happen and you never feel like the show is jumping the shark or going nuts.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #95
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I loved the show as a child and thought it was the best thing ever. The cartoon seemed more serious to me when I was 12. I thought it was an action cartoon with some comedy in it. I don't love it as an adult. I don't mind that it was really a comedy with some action. A lot of episodes haven't aged well. I think seasons one, two, three, seven and eight were the best (I still like some episodes from other seasons, though). The cartoon was an inconscient show. There were too many episodes made and it could've been condensed into 5 seasons. It has aged better than other shows such as Sonic SatAM and Spider-Man, though.

I like its version of Raphael, Casey, Shredder, Rat King and Leatherhead. There are annoying catchphrases and too many pizza jokes. I don't like Zach. Dregg was an okay villain, but he seemed to be evil for the sake of being evil and didn't have much of a personality (I liked him better in season 10, though). I like the minor characters like Big Louie, Barney Stockman and Buffy Shellhammer.

I like that the show doesn't take itself too seriously. The 2003 cartoon did that too often. Krang and Shredder's banter is still funny (they really do act like a married couple). I think half of the episodes are still enjoyable to watch, but the good is far outweighed by the bad in seasons 4, 5, 6 and 9. I haven't watched most of the episodes for years, though, since only some DVDs are available in Ireland, but I thought a few episodes on the Cowabunga Classics dvd were somewhat boring to watch as an adult such as The Turtles and the Hare.

The standout moment on the show for me was Shredder blowing up the Channel Six building, but I prefer the 2003 cartoon. The OT was a product of its time, but parts of it still hold up well. I watched it every now and then from the early 1990s to late 2000s on RTE Two, so it's not down to nostalgia that I like the show. It's one of those guilty pleasure type shows like Charmed and 2 Broke Girls.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #96
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Why did the Original toon end? or even the 2k3 series for that matter...
Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #97
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
Why did the Original toon end? or even the 2k3 series for that matter...
It's not known for sure but it's said the USA decided to make children's TV more educational when the 1987-1996 TMNT cartoon ended. Also the itnerest for TMNT was declining by the mid-1990's.

The 2003-2009 TMNT cartoon especially became popular among fans but when the toys didn't sell well it changed after four seasons to "Fast Forward", "Ninja Triibunal" and "Back to the Sewer". It probably didn't help and also in mid-October 2009 Nickelodeon purchased TMNT.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #98
sdp
-

Simplest explanation is that shows cost money to make and if there's no profit then the show gets cancelled. The OT peaked in popularity in the early 90s and Power Rangers basically killed it off so it was on life support pretty much after that, it's surprising it lasted as long as it did if you think about it and eventually it just wasn't worth it. 2k3 was also extremely lucky of being Laird's baby, being on Fox Box and being one of 4K!ds few original productions and not anime dub and kept getting renewed and got a second life with the 2007 movie. But like the OT once toy sales lowered and the other factors weren't good enough to keep it on it also got the axe.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #99
CyberCubed
Overlord

The original cartoon could have ended by 1992/1993...but they kept it going to 1996. They were generous.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #100
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I understand what everyone is saying and is pretty much as I figured it to be, was just curious if it were something more. I'm about to finish my run of the original toon again and thought about the question of why couldn't there be more. Just love the nostalgic feeling and want more

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series