The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I wonder if The red sky was a reference to the 80s turtles red sky seasons.
A red sky just implies dusk or dawn, it would be a stretch to call it a reference.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #22
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Thought this episode was alright, while there was some good stuff here and there, nothing in this episode really wowed me compared to Yojimbo. I thought Kintaro's development was a bit jarring and tacked on especially since we had 3 episodes of him acting like a spoiled brat. As for the crossover itself I'm kinda disappointed with it, my favorite part about the Usagi/TMNT crossovers is how Leo and Usagi interact and how the play off with one another but we rarely get to see them interact. So while I did enjoy "Yojimbo" the rest of the arc leaves a lot to be desired
Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Loved it, really impressed by the dialogue here too. Much better than last weeks, and the action sequences were superb. The fight on the snowy mountain with the Neko Ninja Clan, and the entire climax with Jei and the bear. Jei Vs. the Turtles and then Jei Vs. Usagi under the red sky was fantastic.

I only wish this could have been a 4 parter with one more ep in the middle of the arc, if only to see more Usagi. It's a bit bittersweet we didn't get him until the end of the show, if only because we won't get to see him again in this continuity.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #24
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I thought Kintaro's development was a bit jarring and tacked on especially since we had 3 episodes of him acting like a spoiled brat.
I agree, Kintaro had absolutely no development for the first two episodes, and thus the writers had to speed it up for this one making it go right by with no sense of passing time. One of my few problems with this one.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well there were signs Kintaro didn't really mean what he was saying, it was the typical underage brat character who is nasty to everyone but in reality knows what everyone is saying is right. The camera focused on Kintaro lots of times in scenes showing him acknowledging his true feelings, etc.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #26
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Absolutely loved this episode, just as much as Yojimbo. I had a few problems with the 2nd episode but this one I think improved upon everything from Osoroshi Na Tabi.

The fight scenes were great, especially towards the end of the episode.

Kintaro was funny and cute as usual, and I liked him achieving his true power at the end of the episode.

But most of all, I loved the art style throughout the episode, and the pure red sky sequence at the end was absolutely beautiful.

10/10, no complaints.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #27
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

An awesome finale to an awesome story arc.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Usagi really needs his own cartoon. It's mind blowing in 30 years its never happened.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #29
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Usagi really needs his own cartoon.
Not really, I fear what would happen if Stan completely let someone else handle his characters unrestricted.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #30
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well there were signs Kintaro didn't really mean what he was saying, it was the typical underage brat character who is nasty to everyone but in reality knows what everyone is saying is right. The camera focused on Kintaro lots of times in scenes showing him acknowledging his true feelings, etc.
I'm just saying we should've seen a middle ground between blue blooded snot to high fiveing Mikey.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #31
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not really, I fear what would happen if Stan completely let someone else handle his characters unrestricted.
Yeah, we were talking about this at the comic book store the other day. One of the guys said Sakai should make a show, but I pointed out that he's always worked at his own pace and would never want to be a full time show runner working untold hours a week out of a studio in Burbank.

Then we imagined how many ways the wrong hands could bastardized Usagi. I'm sure we barely scratched the surface.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #32
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I think if they got show runners who understood Usagi and worked closely with Stan it could work.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I thought it was a great final for the Usagi arc, Kintaro started off as a bratty kid, but in the end he turned out alright, and Usagi was fantastic.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #34
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Really enjoyed the Usagi arc so I went to my Library and found this

Old 08-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #35
ToTheNines
[sic]

Cool. I encourage you to stick with it. It doesn't get really good until like book 6 or so of the Fantagraphics collections.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have all 31 books of Usagi, plus Yokai, Senso and Space Usagi except Books 22-23 which are rare and out of print, and I don't want to buy a used copy.

I can't believe Usagi has been going on 30 years with Stan Sakai himself drawing and writing every single issue. This is something manga artists in Japan do, but it's unheard of for an American comic book. Even Peter/Kevin stopped drawing/writing Mirage themselves very early on...like at issue 16.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #37
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Cool. I encourage you to stick with it. It doesn't get really good until like book 6 or so of the Fantagraphics collections.
sometimes if you don't know for sure, its better to shut up and say nothing....

usagi book 1 which is pictured there has a few very prescious moments in usagi's tale (mariko, frst encounter with gen, tomoe and lord noriykui, the neko ninja, etc).
overall it collects the first few published stories of usagi that appeared in albedo and critters.
book 2 already collects the start if usagi's own series and is incredible!it's the samurai story arch, which recounts how usagi came to be in is position as a ronin.book 3 delivers the first meeting with jei for example and book 4 has the long story the dragon bellow conspiracy in it.

what I want to say with this is simply this:
there is no not-good usagi tpb out there.
so, don't tell someone new to usagi that the good stuff only starts somewhere later.I hate this, because it not only neglects some wonderful comics, but you're ******** on the guy who found this beat up copy of usagi book 1 at the library and wanted to share this with us..what's wrong with you, man?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #38
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post

usagi book 1 which is pictured there has a few very prescious moments in usagi's tale (mariko, frst encounter with gen, tomoe and lord noriykui, the neko ninja, etc).
overall it collects the first few published stories of usagi that appeared in albedo and critters.
book 2 already collects the start if usagi's own series and is incredible!it's the samurai story arch, which recounts how usagi came to be in is position as a ronin.book 3 delivers the first meeting with jei for example and book 4 has the long story the dragon bellow conspiracy in it.

what I want to say with this is simply this:
there is no not-good usagi tpb out there.
so, don't tell someone new to usagi that the good stuff only starts somewhere later.I hate this, because it not only neglects some wonderful comics, but you're ******** on the guy who found this beat up copy of usagi book 1 at the library and wanted to share this with us..what's wrong with you, man?
My Library is weird they had book one than all the other Usagi ones where vol 16 and up. They are missing books 2-14
Old 08-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #39
ToTheNines
[sic]

Don't be a bitch, Marcel. I'm a big Usagi fan too. I've just known several people that have had trouble getting into it when starting from the beginning and I always encourage them to at least make it to "Circles".
Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #40
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
Take your own advice. He's entitled to an opinion. The early material is rough by comparison, that's a fact, even if it's still good.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote