The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-08-2024, 03:21 PM   #161
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Japanese don't care, they sexualize underage girls all the time in anime and videogames. In FF7 Tifa is 20 and Aerith is 22/23, but Yuffie is only 16 and she's in a swimsuit the same way. But the main two girls are in their early 20's.

A lot of other RPG's or anime always use teenage protagonists, so as a result, you're going to see a lot of 15-16 year old teen girls in swimsuits or suggestive outfits in a lot of videogames or anime from Japan. I guess people didn't care too much about this 20 years ago because people were closer in age to the characters, but now that everyone is 30-40+ years old it feels a bit odd.

One of the reasons Tifa became popular in 1997 was for the same reason Lara Croft became popular back then, she was a girl with huge breasts in the earliest 3D games when videogames were just starting to become "realistic" for the first time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #162
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Am I the only one who thought Yuffie had a prosthetic leg in the original FF VII? I thought it was kind of endearing. And she'd kind of wobble when she did her victory spin on that leg.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:56 AM   #163
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1VkAA...-J/s-l1600.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Kisaragi.png

Am I the only one who thought Yuffie had a prosthetic leg in the original FF VII? I thought it was kind of endearing. And she'd kind of wobble when she did her victory spin on that leg.
To be honest I was never quite sure what was going on with her leg.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:20 AM   #164
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Jesus...
Old 04-12-2024, 11:36 PM   #165
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tifa and the others have a little anime-ish look to them so they don't quite look realistic but not as completely anime-designed as Cloud is.

Barret in terms of his face probably looks the most like a "real person." It's like how a lot of the background NPC's look like normal people from our world and then all the anime designs are the major characters.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:45 AM   #166
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Let me just say it is really, really fun the pockets of time the game let's you play as Tifa.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:08 AM   #167
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wow, I'm about 49 hours into things and I'm just now going to the Nibelheim reactor with Tifa and Yuffie. I feel like there is easily about 20 or so hours worth of mini-games and sidequests I've ignored, even having done a decent amount along the way that didn't divert me too much. This is supremely fun and involved, but I'd still say a little bit... well, it's weird. It SEEMS like it wants you to explore and find stuff, but like everything Square does now, they don't trust the gamer. Even just wandering around, little chocobo babies show up to guide you by the hand to Chocobo transit sites, and as you're getting close to Materia areas loud magical owls show up to literally lead you to the exact entrance in the same manner. Like, c'mon. Let us explore and figure out sh** on our own.

It also kinda seems like different teams were assigned to create different chapters here. It's weird that, for example, all the tools you get to rappel across a certain factory at a certain time suddenly go away when you leave and are never mentioned again while they'd seem super useful later on.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-23-2024 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:21 PM   #168
CyberCubed
Overlord

The game definitely has an extra 50+ hours for all the sidequests and world intel stuff. Sure it's all optional, but you're missing out on a lot of good story scenes if you skip the regular green sidequests. I did them all as soon as they became available in each region before moving on. I also did all the world intel on the map I could get to in time, although some I had to wait for later or look up a guide to find out how to get to some.

I didn't do any of the optional Queens Blood matches till the end of the game though. It's best to wait for the end for that, as you'll have a better deck of cards and stronger cards to use than while playing through the game.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:28 PM   #169
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I didn't do any of the optional Queens Blood matches till the end of the game though. It's best to wait for the end for that, as you'll have a better deck of cards and stronger cards to use than while playing through the game.
I'm still not entirely sure I know what I'm doing when I play Queen's Blood. When I try to use anything but the Starter Pack, I'll maybe be able to make one move then I have to keep forfeiting my turn until I lose because I can't make any additional ones.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:38 PM   #170
CyberCubed
Overlord

I didn't understand Queens blood fully till the end of the game. I learned by watching the CPU play and seeing what they were doing, I had no idea you could place cards on top of each other on your own side to raise your score. All you have to do is get a higher number on your side for the 3 columns total (you don't have to have all 3 winning, but at least 2 of the 3 helps).

I wouldn't bother doing most of them till the post-game. Then you can buy all the best cards at the shops and re-arrange your whole deck. It's too hard to beat a lot of the CPU right now going through the story.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:08 PM   #171
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'll probably do it on an eventual New Game+. And I don't think having quality cards is the problem... I've made Decks with new cards I find or buy as I go along, but always the same problem -- I can't make any moves after a certain point. During the big Costa boat ride tournament I was only able to beat the first lady opponent and then I couldn't win against Tifa or Aerith and gave up. I think I just don't have a good idea of what mix of cards constitutes "a good deck." Because there's a big element of "chance" that comes up.

Now Triple Triad from VIII... now there's a good FF card game. Tetra Master from IX, much less so.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-25-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #172
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

About 62 hours in now. This Temple of the Ancients business is really overstaying its welcome. I've spent like 4 or 5 hours on it the past 3 days and we're still in it (I just saved after everybody reunites and we get what I'm assuming is the last "A Few Hours Ago" with Aerith, Yuffie and Red XIII). It's too much. They could have cut this "stage" in half.