The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

How were you punished as a kid?

**** was scary back in the day, but these are fun conversations to have now that people can look back and laugh. What did your parents do to punish you guys?

My mother would throw dry rice on the floor and make me kneel on it for hours on end. After a while the little grains would cut into the skin and leave scars and ish. And another time my mother got so angry that she ripped out the little rod thing to open and close the blinds and whipped me with it. Good times.

Oh, and being Latino, I am quite familiar with la chancla.

What about you guys?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Spanking. By my mom if it was something relatively minor. By my dad if I was really bad. Belt reserved for extreme bad behavior.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm from New England and was raised Catholic, all punishment was emotional in nature.

Of course the fact that I was a good kid who never really got into trouble probably helped.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I was spanked.

However I don't use the same approach with my child. It was a very ineffective way to modify my behavior and show consequences for my actions. I do approve of some of my parents decisions in raising me but this is not one.

Do the others that have posted approve of the way they were punished? Would you use the same methods with your child? Or do you already use the same as your parents?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
Katie
Just...way too serious.

“Go pick your switch”

As a kid, you think maybe a long skinny stick is best, but that felt like a whip. Then next time, you maybe pick a thicker one, but that leaves bruises and welps.

Then you just do your damnedest to never get caught.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Spanking or standing in a corner. My mom usually sent me to my room. Step-dud was the real disciplinarian- but he is a douchebag with a short and overactive temper and frequently got out of hand with his "punishment". At times he even punished me for no real reason at all except that he had a bad day and I got on his nerves somehow. He is a prick, and a lot of what he called "punishment" would certainly be considered abuse. Mom was always more understanding; I think the fact that I was basically a good kid kept me from having to deal with his idea of correction too much.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

There is some disturbing stuff being posted in this thread. As for me, nothing more than a quick slap in the back or top of the head...and that was about it.

The rest of you sound like you may have been abused and not even realize it. I realize for those of you who are 30-40 years old this is dating back decades to the 80's (or 70's?), but if this happened in the modern year it would not be tolerated if it were reported.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Of course the fact that I was a good kid who never really got into trouble probably helped.
I don't buy that.

And after I was like 11 or so punishment was just "Your video games are gone for a month!"

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-04-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There is some disturbing stuff being posted in this thread. As for me, nothing more than a quick slap in the back or top of the head...and that was about it.

The rest of you sound like you may have been abused and not even realize it. I realize for those of you who are 30-40 years old this is dating back decades to the 80's (or 70's?), but if this happened in the modern year it would not be tolerated if it were reported.

Oh believe me I realized a LONG time ago what it was he was doing. And the s**t I mentioned is just what I'm willing to discuss publicly. I've said before what a turd of a human being he is and I will say it again. Belts were used frequently when he was the one disciplining me, even for relatively minor crap. The corner or grounding to my room were mom's usual mode. But she knew I'd just go sit and read in there for the duration. So it kept me out of trouble and I became a good reader- win-win as far as she was concerned.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Oh, and being Latino, I am quite familiar with la chancla.
Oy, tell me about it.

Both the dreaded chancla and the cinto were the tools my mother used to punish me whenever I misbehaved or did something wrong. And whenever she didn’t have either (or maybe she was just in the mood for it) she’d resort to just spanking me like crazy.

But I didn’t make it easy for her. If she was gonna whup my ass anyways, she was gonna have to catch me first.

She’s always been an angry person, and I think at times she used those punishments as a means of venting that anger and getting rid of her stress.

Looking back at it, I can kind of appreciate being punished like that. It would’ve been impossible for her to discipline me any other way (as her parents did the same with her and that’s all she had known), and I would’ve ended up soft and a different person if she had done otherwise.

If I ever have any kids (right, like that’ll happen) I obviously wouldn’t do the same to them. I’d try my best to be loving and I’d never raise my hand to them. If I were to punish them, I’d go for something more psychological, like taking away their toys or not letting them watch tv, and then I’d explain why what they did was wrong and teach them not to do it again with kindness and words.

Edit:
Damn, maybe I did end up soft.
That last paragraph sounds so lame.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Pffft.

I spank my kid but the times I've actually ever had to do that are less than double digits, and she's almost 10. I can't fathom going as far as a belt but I don't disagree with its use at the time.

I even caught the end of physical punishment in school. It must have been kindergarten or into 1st grade... if you misbehave, the teacher has you walk up to the front of the class and she smacks your hand/wrist pretty hard with a ruler.

I don't necessarily think that's something that ever should have been gravitated away from.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

If teachers dare to hit or abuse the kids in school now and it's found out about, they get fired and possibly face jail time based on the severity of it. I do remember when I was in 1st grade this one kid in the class always caused trouble and the teacher would sometimes pull him by the ear. Such a thing would never fly nowadays in the modern year.

It's kind of funny that we all remember this too. This all happened when we were kids but a lot of this stuff just stayed lodged into our memories for 20+ years.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #13
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
If teachers dare to hit or abuse the kids in school now and it's found out about, they get fired and possibly face jail time based on the severity of it.
"A recent investigation by Education Week shows that in the 2013-2014 school year, about 110,000 students were physically punished nationwide. That's in part because in some states, including Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Texas, tens of thousands of students are paddled every year."

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/...-roots-go-deep
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

And all those states are either southern or mid-western states. They're a little behind on modern times.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:05 AM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

holy **** you guys...

I've not been physically abused by my parents for misbehaving. My mom would put restrictions on video games, toys or TV time, only one time did she ground me and I managed to negotiate myself out of it. Usually she stalked to me instead of hitting me...

My dad did loose his temper and slap my second youngest brother once, and child protective services got involved and they had to go in family therapy.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 AM   #16
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Just a slap? Geez I WISH that was all I ever got. That's not enough to call CPS on here- or at least it wasn't when I was a kid. Might be now if seen by sone uptight ultra-left bleeding heart. But the stuff my step-dad did went beyond just spanking- which I DO sort of believe un as long as the parent doesn't go too far- and yes it WAS abusive. But he also is abusive in general, and not just to me.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 AM   #17
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Under the age of ten, I was usually punished by going to bed early, no tv, and not being able to play outside. If I kept doing whatever it was I was doing wrong after being punished a few times, then I would get spanked. I guess like a three strikes and you're out type thing. Either way, it was rare I was spanked.

In my teens, I usually had my games taken away and forced to go to bed early, no tv or talking on the phone...
Quote:
If teachers dare to hit or abuse the kids in school now and it's found out about, they get fired and possibly face jail time based on the severity of it. I do remember when I was in 1st grade this one kid in the class always caused trouble and the teacher would sometimes pull him by the ear. Such a thing would never fly nowadays in the modern year.

It's kind of funny that we all remember this too. This all happened when we were kids but a lot of this stuff just stayed lodged into our memories for 20+ years.
As far as I know, states like North Carolina can still legally spank kids in schools.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

The only time I've been slapped was when I was a little kid. And by slapped I don't mean with a backhand or anything of the sort. But being slapped on my hand whenever I did something wrong.

I usually was sent to bed early or was forced to study or something as a punishment.

I was never that much of a troublemaker anyway. At school, whenever I got into fights, I usually just reacted in self-defence. And whenever my mom yelled at me or talked to I'd get the point across.

Quote:

Never saw a teacher of mine hitting a student. If a teacher did that here he'd never be allowed to teach again.

Last edited by Prowler; 10-05-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I've not been physically abused by my parents for misbehaving.
I don't think anyone in this thread has been saying they were, either.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #20
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Really?
Reread the thread.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote