The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 05:04 AM   #1
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Should Playmates have done the 80's TMNT for Trans-Dimensional Turtles?

Does anyone think that Playmates/Nickelodeon missed a trick by not releasing the 80's Turtles, Shredder and Krang, as part of the Nick toyline, based on their Trans-Dimensional Turtles/Wanted: BeBop & Rocksteady appearances?

It seems like such an oversight to me. I know we have the excellent Neca 80's toon line now, but I would love cartoon accurate versions of these characters, in scale, to go with my Nick figures!

I think these figures could have sold well outside of the Nick line collectors too, as 80's toon fans would've snapped them up also. It would have been a nice way to close out the entire line too.

I mean, come on, which 80's TMNT fan wouldn't want a version of 80's Shredder in his original toon colours, who could actually stand on his own without requiring witchcraft and a diploma in astrophysics?
FifthTurtles81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

We got a 80’s styled Raph and Mikey (with a toy gimmick), so maybe playmates had bigger plans but it didn’t fall through
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
Shortfuse
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthTurtles81 View Post
Does anyone think that Playmates/Nickelodeon missed a trick by not releasing the 80's Turtles, Shredder and Krang, as part of the Nick toyline, based on their Trans-Dimensional Turtles/Wanted: BeBop & Rocksteady appearances?

It seems like such an oversight to me. I know we have the excellent Neca 80's toon line now, but I would love cartoon accurate versions of these characters, in scale, to go with my Nick figures!

I think these figures could have sold well outside of the Nick line collectors too, as 80's toon fans would've snapped them up also. It would have been a nice way to close out the entire line too.

I mean, come on, which 80's TMNT fan wouldn't want a version of 80's Shredder in his original toon colours, who could actually stand on his own without requiring witchcraft and a diploma in astrophysics?
I thought I was the only one who thought the same - everyone else seems to just want re-releases of the original figures - as they keep saying on the TMNT Play Facebook page.

Shortfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:14 AM   #4
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
We got a 80’s styled Raph and Mikey (with a toy gimmick), so maybe playmates had bigger plans but it didn’t fall through
I did not collect this line of figures so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you have a name or picture these particular figures?
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
I did not collect this line of figures so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you have a name or picture these particular figures?
Spittin’ Michelangelo: http://tmnttoys.com/16figures/series16/90623.html

Spittin’ Raphael: http://tmnttoys.com/16figures/series16/90624.html
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

I think Playmates figured that the parents of the children collecting the 2k12 TMNT line already had a 1993 Toon Shredder and Basic Wave Krang’s Android Body from 1994.

Spittin’ Raphael and Spittin’ Michelangelo were intended to be the 80s and 90s TMNT cartoon figures and those were not cartoon accurate due to the spitting feature. A Leonardo and Donatello would have most likely been the same way if they were produced towards the end of the line. The 2013 6 inch Classic Collection TMNT figures were almost in the same style as the Trans-Dimensional classic TMNT in the 2k12 TMNT universe, so perhaps Playmates thought adult collectors and parents had those as well.

Last edited by mikey0; 11-29-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
FifthTurtles81
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfuse View Post
I thought I was the only one who thought the same - everyone else seems to just want re-releases of the original figures - as they keep saying on the TMNT Play Facebook page.
I can't believe with all those re-iusses that Playmates have never thought to do anything to spice it up.

Something along the lines of what Super 7 are currently doing with their retro He-Man line, how about a bit of resculpting to make the 88 figures more toon accurate? Actual painted weapons? Real chains for Mikey's nunchuks? An entirely-started-from-scratch Shredder! An option to get an android Krang that doesn't cost a fortune and isn't missing the head antena!

Splinter could do with a serious head resculpt too!

I dunno, their efforts to commemorate the TMNT anniversaries always seem really half assed.
FifthTurtles81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
I can't believe with all those re-iusses that Playmates have never thought to do anything to spice it up.

Something along the lines of what Super 7 are currently doing with their retro He-Man line, how about a bit of resculpting to make the 88 figures more toon accurate? Actual painted weapons? Real chains for Mikey's nunchuks? An entirely-started-from-scratch Shredder! An option to get an android Krang that doesn't cost a fortune and isn't missing the head antena!

Splinter could do with a serious head resculpt too!

I dunno, their efforts to commemorate the TMNT anniversaries always seem really half assed.
Playmates likes to continue the tradition that started in late 1989 of re-releasing the first basic wave figures from 1988. TMNT action figures may not have been the number-one best selling toy of 1988 or 1989, but TMNT were on both of those lists. Some of the newer toys from 1989 like C.O.P.S. and Food Fighters were not on the top five lists of toys at all in 1989. The peak for all things TMNT by Playmates was in the year 1990, not the very late 80s or the rest of the early 90s. The first ever TMNT movie sold the toys better than the FW cartoons.

With Mattel doing highly articulated versions of the original MOTU characters for MOTU Origins, S7 redoing original MOTU figures for the As Seen on TV and retro series, and the G1 Transformers reissues with different sculpts that coincided with the release of the movie Bumblebee, Playmates Toys could very well do a Classic TMNT line in the 2020s with similar sculpts to the ‘88 figures, but with toon accurate heads, better weapons, a Shredder not modeled after the 1984 Mirage Comics Shredder, and a more interesting version of the ‘94 Krang’s Android Body. MOTU and Transformers are ‘80s toy-lines, whereas TMNT was a ‘90s toy-line (practically everything made in the year 1990 sold well). So, I think Playmates could give fans better reissues in the 2020s with their Classic TMNT line that was announced recently by Playmates (see The Rise of the TMNT thread in this forum).

I could be wrong though. Still, Playmates said through an e-mail that they want to work on the classic TMNT (a move in the right direction, IMO).

Last edited by mikey0; 11-29-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Ninjinister
無問題

"Missed opportunity" is like Playmates' motto to be honest.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
sdp
-

Well they're doing them now, and cancelling the Rise toyline to do it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well they're doing them now, and cancelling the Rise toyline to do it.
Playmates won’t be doing Leo and Don in Spittin’ Raph and Spittin’ Mike style. Spitting Raph and Spittin’ Mike were the Trans-Dimensional FW toon in 2k12 style by Playmates.

I haven’t a clue what the Classic TMNT figures in the 2020s by Playmates will look like.

I hope Playmates does some nicely articulated versions of the original 1988 TMNT figures like Mattel is doing with MOTU Origins for their new Classic TMNT line.

I expect Playmates to somehow act on this recent trend of new sculpts based on the original TMNT action figures being sold in different scales for the 2020s.

Last edited by mikey0; 11-29-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:51 PM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'd be funny if Playmates ripped off Mattel's MOTU Origins line, but just as badly as they ripped Hasbro's Mashers
Old 11-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #13
mikey0
Foot Elite

A ‘TMNT Classic’ Scratch would sell greatly.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'd be funny if Playmates ripped off Mattel's MOTU Origins line, but just as badly as they ripped Hasbro's Mashers
Funny yes... but could be a winning strategy while they wait for the next series/movie to capitalize off of. Because MOTU Origins looks like it will be a pretty solid line. Love the new articulation.

Reissuing the same molds we've had since 89 gets old with collectors after a while. But if you take those molds (more new molds designed to look very similar) and give us some new articulation, features and whatnot, that could be quite interesting.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #15
mikey0
Foot Elite

I’m guessing a 2016 Nickelodeon Shredder and Krang’s Android Body would be smaller versions of the 2014 unreleased Classic Collection Shredder and Krang’s Android Body.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:24 AM   #16
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Funny yes... but could be a winning strategy while they wait for the next series/movie to capitalize off of. Because MOTU Origins looks like it will be a pretty solid line. Love the new articulation.

Reissuing the same molds we've had since 89 gets old with collectors after a while. But if you take those molds (more new molds designed to look very similar) and give us some new articulation, features and whatnot, that could be quite interesting.
It's possible, I'd love to see a TMNT 1988/89 Origins line, especially if they keep them in the same size as the vintage figures as they'd scale better with other lines compared to S7's Ultimate Turtles which will be 1:10th scale.

But, Playmates riff on Mashers wasn't all that great looking, and the Classics figures was awkward as well, I'm sure Playmates wold find a way to bungle up a Origins riff
Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #17
mikey0
Foot Elite

I wonder how far a 1988 TMNT Origins line would go. I could see a Slash being made. The question is, would we be able to get characters that were not previously released in the 25th Anniversary and Classic Collection Retro figure lines?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #18
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:

If done right total missed opportunity.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #19
mikey0
Foot Elite

I doubt Playmates would have given fans the 2D animated turtles, Shredder, and Krang. Playmates was trying to draw in younger crowds and their parents with the TMNT Classic Collection-esque Spittin’ Raphael and Spittin’ Michelangelo, but mainly younger crowds.

The NECA 2-packs are for adults who have seen every episode or nearly every episode of the 1987 syndicated mini-series, 1988 syndicated series, and 1990 Saturday morning series.

Nickelodeon would had to have aired repeats of every episode of all FW cartoons to show to the younger 2k12 fans for there to be 2k12 figures based off of the 2D turtles, Krang, and Shredder.

Last edited by mikey0; 12-02-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #20
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Hold up, did I miss something? What's this talk about Playmates doing a Classic Collection in 2020?