The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #1
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Theory on normal rat learning martial arts: the battle nexus

Okay, I was putting a lot of thought into the TMNT multiverse again, and I think I've come up with a theory on how 4kids and Mirage Splinter might've become martial arts masters. (And for a moment, let's put aside the 'splinter was no ordinary rat' thing. That's only authorial intent, and was never stated or explained in official material) Okay, we all know that Splinter saw and remembered basic ninja moves he saw Hamato Yoshi performing, but that would never allow him to become the master of ninjitsu he's implied to be in most continuities where splinter is a rat. However, two turtles continuities give us a cannon possibility; both the mirage (as learned in volume 4) and 4kids Splinter have been secretly competing in the battle nexus tournament for many years,carrying on the legacy of Hamato Yoshi, who had been the Battle Nexus champion in previous years before splinter, (at least in the 4kids case, though it wouldn't surprise me if it was true for Mirage Splinter, as well) is it possible that Splinter was actually trained it the art of Ninjitsu by the tengu of the battle Nexus, possibly even the Daimyo of the nexus himself?

Think about it. Splinter picks up the bare-bones basics from watching Yoshi from his cage; basically, what a normal person would get from watching a kung-fu movie 1,000 times in a row, then the Daimyo saw potential in Yoshi's rat, and either trained him himself, or had him trained by the Nexus's martial arts masters, taking the raw talent and rudimentary skill put there by watching Yoshi, and refining Splinter into a Ninja master.

This would make sense on a lot of levels; first, we know the Battle Nexus is multiversal; it's visited in both the Mirage and 4kids universes, and we saw it's primordial origins outside of time in IDW. (and yes, the IDW battle nexus is most likely the Mirage/4kids one at an earlier state before the Daimyo's ascension, being lord simultaneous and Renet are tied to it's origins, and they are the same versions from Mirage). From the 4kids series, we know the Tengu from the battle nexus created the art of ninjitsu in the TMNT multiverse, visited ancient earth, and passed the art of Ninjitsu on to mankind. (this is consistent with Japanese myth. Where the tengu are supposed to have created Ninjitsu, and passed it on to humanity. And before anyone brings up the Nina Tribunal creating ninjitsu, that's an easy explanation; the skills they learned by traveling all over the world, were taught to the masters by the tengu, keeping the 4kids story consistent.) and the Battle Nexus Daimyo and Splinter were stated to be old friends.

I believe it's possible that 4kids and mirage Splinters 'learned' Ninja basics from watching Yoshi from his cage, what you or I would pick up from a martial arts documentary, but then expanded, tempered, and refined those skills in tournaments in the battle nexus over the years. You can't become a martial arts master by watching someone do it over and over, then practicing the art by yourself in a sewer for a decade and a half, 'animal mimicry' and other such goofiness for learning a complex martial art aside.This theory is consistent when what's presented in the canon, and if it were expanded to include the original live action films, the Platinum Dune films, next mutation, and every other version with rat splinter, it could solve a LOT of problems on the details of the TMNT's origin.

This theory answers how Splinter picked up martial arts, where he got the turtles weapons and the ninja gear/paraphernalia, and how he learned so many philosophical concepts associated with ninjitsu; after all, the Battle Nexus is shown to have a feudal Japanese-like culture (complete with the writing and mysticism), an excellent blacksmith forge, and probably has libraries stocked with tomes from all over the multiverse. It seems downright silly for any version of Splinter with access to all of this when he's raising the turtles, to not use it at all, and instead cobble junk together from rubbish heaps to make their furniture, weapons, and lair. And I don't think anything the turtles or Splinter had actually Came from Hamato Yoshi's apartment; that apartment was the site of a murder, and would have been cleaned out by either the cops or the landlord long before Splinter fully mutated, and could've gotten back there. I think the battle nexus is a very good theory for these matters; but again, it's only a theory, I'm not stating it with any certainty.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 10-05-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

And as I said; this isn't fanfic, this theory is based on CANON ideas presented in 4kids, Mirage, and a little bit of IDW. This isn't another 'ooohhhh, Pandas making another fanfic' thread. I'm only discussing canon material, here.

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
ToTheNines
[sic]

Don't currently have time to read all that (will later), but I recently had the same thought about 4kids Splinter. But yes, I suppose it could work for many other universes. Kinda cool.

4kids Splinter also had contact with The Ancient One via the astral plane, so there's that too.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Thanks, and I agree on the ancient one connection. Splinter could've trained under him, as well. And it makes more sense to have Yoshi be Splinter's inspiration for learning martial arts, while the actual learning came from various masters after his mutation.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I suppose it could work. Not anything I ever stressed over.

In a story populated by mutant ninja turtles fighting a blood feud with their master's owner's rival, a rat learning kung fu through observation isn't anything I really ever cared to critique.

But sure. This could easily explain things!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Simple answer: Splinter was from NIHM....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Simple answer: Splinter was from NIHM....
Funny

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

There was that early PD storyboard where Splinter as a labrat gets injected with the ooze and shown martial arts movies and it's imprinted to him.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
There was that early PD storyboard where Splinter as a labrat gets injected with the ooze and shown martial arts movies and it's imprinted to him.
That would work in that case, but the PD universe as presented their mutation was an unintended side effect, so the imprint thing makes no sense. And in Universes with Yoshi, again; again he could learn the basics from Yoshi from imprinting his moves, but martial arts mastery would come from practice, training, and combat in the battle nexus.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Yeah, it was one of the unused ideas iirc, probably on the line of the ooze intend to be a super soldier serum of sorts
Old 10-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Funny
No seriously! It would actually make sense if he was a labrat before being Yoshi's pet. Not sure how he would have escaped or ended up a pet but it could work. In fact I have turned this idea into the premise for a story about Splinter's origin.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
No seriously! It would actually make sense if he was a labrat before being Yoshi's pet. Not sure how he would have escaped or ended up a pet but it could work. In fact I have turned this idea into the premise for a story about Splinter's origin.
Even with the enhanced intelligence, he couldn't become a martial arts master by watching Yoshi and mimicking, that would be like somebody watching kung-fu moves performed on television, and becoming a master. Yoshi mimicking could give him the rudimentary basics, but but he'd still need those years of training, practice, and matches with the battle nexus tengu to become a full-fledged ninjitsu master. Or did he learn the stealth techniques, weapons training, and other advanced moves from watching his owner do basic workout sets? Did Yoshi run through full ninjitsu training alone in his apartment, for the benefit of his pet rat?

Boy, I wish I could've learned Karate like that; watching some guy practicing on tv, instead of years under a crotchety sensei. XD

Old 10-11-2017, 01:03 AM   #13
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

With the rudimentary basics, maybe Splinter pulled a "Chōi-sai"
Old 10-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #14
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
With the rudimentary basics, maybe Splinter pulled a "Chōi-sai"
Well, Iizasa Ienao WAS supposed to have been trained by the Tengu....

And sorry if I came off as sarcastic or rude in that last post, Msmarvelduckie. Your NIMH idea is a good one.