The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #41
Allio
Foot Elite

Pretty good so far as far as dramas are concerned. I do wonder how the show would continue from here out with each season. Would be kind of cool if each season took place after each movie so season 2 took place after KotM
Old 11-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Pretty good so far as far as dramas are concerned. I do wonder how the show would continue from here out with each season. Would be kind of cool if each season took place after each movie so season 2 took place after KotM
Though remember... in the aftermath of KOTM Monarch becomes transparent with all of its records and data. So it'd be a whole different show. But they probably should move that way.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Episode 5 was a real stinker. No monsters at all and it's revealed -- of course -- that the main character lady is a lesbian, with multiple romances and melodrama that are gotten into.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:40 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So the first season is over with now. Some pretty cool stuff and a solid finale!

Spoiler:
And sure enough, they travel to the Hollow Earth, there's a pretty cool Godzilla fight, then everyone emerges in 2017... which means they've landed in the middle of KotM time.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:29 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Anyone find it amusing they threw in that one lesbian flashback scene with the Asian daughter and her fellow teacher at the school? Like the scene they wake up in bed together and talk before she goes off with the kids on the schoolbus.

Like why was that even in the series? The main girls love life is not relevant to the plot of the show at all and that other girl never appears again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:07 PM   #46
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Yeah I really enjoyed the show overall. Some of it dragged on compared to the better parts; generally the past narrative was more interesting than the present narrative for most of the show, until they started to converge.

Spoiler:
I did like seeing Hollow Earth again, although it shows us clearly that different parts of Hollow Earth (like Axis Mundi) have very different rules regarding the flow of time and its relation to the surface world. Also it was cool seeing King Kong again
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 09:20 PM   #47
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Anyone find it amusing they threw in that one lesbian flashback scene with the Asian daughter and her fellow teacher at the school? Like the scene they wake up in bed together and talk before she goes off with the kids on the schoolbus.

Like why was that even in the series? The main girls love life is not relevant to the plot of the show at all and that other girl never appears again.
Oddly enough, Cate isn’t the first lesbian Asian girl in the Godzilla franchise.

Lucy Casprell from the IDW comic series “Godzilla: Rulers Of Earth” married another woman in the final issue. I think this is where the writers for the Monarch series got their inspiration for Cate.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:28 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Seemed mostly like, "Look! We have a lesbian! Satisfied? OK, now we're moving on."
Old 01-15-2024, 07:45 AM   #49
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Seemed mostly like, "Look! We have a lesbian! Satisfied? OK, now we're moving on."
That’s pretty much it right there. Although I think they are setting something up for the second season where Cate and May potentially hook up leaving Kentaro jealous. I’m sure they will milk this social theme at some point?
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:06 AM   #50
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm only 3 episodes in & a big time Goji fan, but wow, the writing on this series sucks. My shorty already tapped out after episode 2. Genuinely hard to get through. The main girl is insufferable, many of the characters actions & reactions feel unrealistic, & the pacing is a bit off. Not to mention it features a lot of very forced western themes that I likely need not expand upon. Based on what I've read, & intuition, it's only going to get worse.

I do think it's pretty well cast, & the visual elements are spectacular. Most performances are fairly decent, particularly from the Russel boys, no surprise there, but the material they're working with... not so much. I'll try to see it through for the sake of my fandom. There probably isn't much context I couldn't live without, though. I'd rather this have taken place entirely in the past, the modern segments are borderline insufferable.

I've really enjoyed the Monsterverse films, for what that's worth. They may suffer a small percentage of the same issues at times, but not to the extent that I find it worth noting in reviews of them.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:46 AM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-eyeball View Post
Although I think they are setting something up for the second season where Cate and May potentially hook up leaving Kentaro jealous.
Oh, I was waiting for that to happen. Not because I wanted to see it happen, but because they seemed to be widely telegraphing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm only 3 episodes in & a big time Goji fan, but wow, the writing on this series sucks. My shorty already tapped out after episode 2. Genuinely hard to get through. The main girl is insufferable, many of the characters actions & reactions feel unrealistic, & the pacing is a bit off. Not to mention it features a lot of very forced western themes that I likely need not expand upon. Based on what I've read, & intuition, it's only going to get worse.

I do think it's pretty well cast, & the visual elements are spectacular. Most performances are fairly decent, particularly from the Russel boys, no surprise there, but the material they're working with... not so much. I'll try to see it through for the sake of my fandom. There probably isn't much context I couldn't live without, though. I'd rather this have taken place entirely in the past, the modern segments are borderline insufferable.
In some spots I'd agree, but this show has -- for me -- retroactively repaired a lot of lost good will in every movie since and including King of the Monsters. Or at least explained away sufficiently that chasm of tonal and technological shift between 2014 and KotM.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:11 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

The two leads are half sibling Asians with the same father but different mothers, why would anyone think there would be a romance between them? I don't think promoting incest in the show is a good idea, this isn't a Japanese anime where something like that would happen.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:36 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
The two leads are half sibling Asians with the same father but different mothers, why would anyone think there would be a romance between them? I don't think promoting incest in the show is a good idea, this isn't a Japanese anime where something like that would happen.
The main Asian woman and the mixed race black woman hacker, who sort of had a thing with the main Asian woman's half brother. It seemed like they were creeping towards making her bi.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:15 PM   #54
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

smh Cubed no one even said there was romance between Kentaro and Cate, that is so dumb

but like Andrew said, the characters coming out in 2017 is the most intriguing part for me; I would love to get more stories from that point in the MonsterVerse
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:17 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
but like Andrew said, the characters coming out in 2017 is the most intriguing part for me; I would love to get more stories from that point in the MonsterVerse
I hope we see the events of KotM happen in real-time with season 2. That could be pretty wild. We could even get appearances from the characters from KotM, like Charles Dance or Ken Watanabe's characters. Hell, it'd even be neat to see Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character come back and join the fold.