The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 12-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

To Leo656

I'm currently writing a book about my struggle and how I came to adopt the beliefs I hold, I'm sure that will answer some of your questions. You'll recognise it when it will be well-known in a few years time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
-Ben Franklin

As a note, I think this is an ironic statement considering your signature states:

"The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question."

As "safety" is a common reason people try to censor.
I'm all for censorship and silencing dissent when it's for the public good. Showing some cartoon villains being a little more violent won't destroy the public order in any way.

I'm surprised you take my opinion about a cartoon and apply it to real life situations. And I don't take Benjamin Franklin's (or any of the Founding Father's) Enlightnment-era ideals seriously in any way.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-30-2021 at 10:33 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #22
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Sounds like worship. Freedom worshippers cannot envisage a world where their god is taken away from them.

Except freedom as a concept is incoherent, contradictory, meaningless and doesn't even exist as an absolute. All societies from the beginning are based on collectivism and control, no matter what they profess to believe in.
There's some truth here in your statement - in a way that I'm impressed enough with your observation to acknowledge it (I promise you that's a compliment by the way, not a condescension). But it seems that you are pretty galvanized in it and I don't think you should be, dude.

For example, if you stabilize the "experiment" even using your own framework so that the baseline is

Quote:
All societies from the beginning are based on collectivism and control, no matter what they profess to believe in.
So basically we use your statement there as the baseline. Then as the baseline there is a foundation on top that delivers a spectrum of "freedom" across various societal models, rather than a dichotomy (e.g., freedom or no freedom). And so on the spectrum you have varying degrees of freedom and across time we've been shown that the most successful societal constructs embrace as much "common man freedom" as possible. And therefore, what you've said I think is arguably true, but the control aspect is necessary given the modulator of "free will choice" to the population within the framework of the control aspect.

And this "free will choice" model becomes even more successful when enhanced with an outlet-modifier, i.e., a construct that gives the free-will-choice population an outlet for their choices and development, e.g. capitalism.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #23
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
To Leo656

I'm currently writing a book about my struggle and how I came to adopt the beliefs I hold, I'm sure that will answer some of your questions. You'll recognise it when it will be well-known in a few years time.

I'm all for censorship and silencing dissent when it's for the public good. Showing some cartoon villains being a little more violent won't destroy the public order in any way.

I'm surprised you take my opinion about a cartoon and apply it to real life situations. And I don't take Benjamin Franklin's (or any of the Founding Father's) Enlightnment-era ideals seriously in any way.
Interesting. I'm generally against a 1984-esque 'future' but if that's what you want then more power to you. Just remember...the public good changes consistently and to people you may not want to be the controller of what the "public good" is.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #24
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I am not sure I can see it happening here in the USA, we have been trending towards less restrictions not more. I'm in California and I still have doubts it will happen here.

But even if it did, supply chain issues have movie theaters barely serving any food anyway, at least at the ones I go to. Wouldn't be the biggest loss

I'd still sneak drinks with a draw under my mask if it did happen. I believe in the benefits of masking, though I also think they get overstated in their value in some situations.

On another note, I have long believed we should normalize masking during cold/flu season in the USA (to emulate Asia and how they have dealt with the Bird Flu and other illnesses, etc.) because let me tell you, pre-pandemic I have been amazed at how incredibly rude and inconsiderate some people can be when they are OBVIOUSLY sick in public, just coughing like no tomorrow even if you are near them on a bus/train with no attempts to minimize the spread. Many people have no awareness about infecting others. "Eff you I'm sick if you don't like it you can move" attitude, typical American stance. So in a sense, I am GLAD we have had this huge wake-up call that spreading your germs to other people is a huge a-hole thing to do, and I hope that continues once the pandemic finally starts to die down.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
On another note, I have long believed we should normalize masking during cold/flu season in the USA (to emulate Asia and how they have dealt with the Bird Flu and other illnesses, etc.)
I believe we should incentivize creativity so as to develop technologies whereby we don't wear masks in society. Wearing masks has generally done nothing but fuel liberal hive-mind policy and resulted in increased crime, especially thefts where people people have greater anonymity wearing masks for "snatch and run" crime.

But a free market can incentivize advancements to negate the need for masks and have it be better for everyone. For example, building codes adopt UV sterilization air flow and negative pressure technology to move airflow up and away to sterilizers. Or any other number of ideas that any clever inventor could institute beyond anything I could brainstorm here.

Wearing masks is not a societal model to follow. We are living the results of it now and this society has constructs built-in to surpass mask-wearing with time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:18 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
On another note, I have long believed we should normalize masking during cold/flu season in the USA (to emulate Asia and how they have dealt with the Bird Flu and other illnesses, etc.) because let me tell you, pre-pandemic I have been amazed at how incredibly rude and inconsiderate some people can be when they are OBVIOUSLY sick in public, just coughing like no tomorrow even if you are near them on a bus/train with no attempts to minimize the spread. Many people have no awareness about infecting others. "Eff you I'm sick if you don't like it you can move" attitude, typical American stance. So in a sense, I am GLAD we have had this huge wake-up call that spreading your germs to other people is a huge a-hole thing to do, and I hope that continues once the pandemic finally starts to die down.
Normalize, sure (as in, make less of a big deal about?), not legalize. If you want to be one of these mask weirdos, go ahead. If you're living in fear of getting close to me with no mask, walk around me. Also, f*** off.

Also, "We should follow China's example and.." is always going to be a terrible sentence to begin. Always.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #27
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
I don't believe anything you've said as my entire foundation rests on obeying authority and following orders, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless to understand where you're coming from. Thanks for taking the time.

Now let's talk ponies, shall we?
Move to China then

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote