The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #9801
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Currently doing another play-through of my favorite game of all time: Earthbound for the NES.

I didn't realize how much I missed playing this game regularly. It's truly a wonderful game. It's definitely the best RPG on the NES by far.

It's a shame it didn't get released in the USA at the time, as I'm sure it would've found it's own little niche market. To this day I still think that if it would've happened the Earthbound series would've been like Dragon Warrior on the NES: we would've gotten 3 or 4 more and they would've continued the story of Ninten and Co.

But still, things turned out good and we got Earthbound on the SNES and then Mother 3 on the GBA. The franchise did good and all the games were great and were released on good consoles. Can't ask for much more than that.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:36 AM   #9802
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Oh man one of my faves too, I'm considering starting a new file myself...
Old 05-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #9803
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Oh man one of my faves too, I'm considering starting a new file myself...
Oh, you're a fan of the Mother series? Cool!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #9804
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Yes, absolutely. It's so many things I like all rolled into one. One of my favourite fiction tropes is "cute kidlike **** that gets increasingly weird" and that series follows along with that trope pretty well.

I haven't finished my playthrough of Mother 3 yet though because I lost my charger. I'm probably just going to order a new one because it's been months since I've seen it...
Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #9805
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I got that Injusticeeeee.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #9806
THGhost
Puppet Master

Prey 2017.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #9807
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Batman: Arkham Origins on PC

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #9808
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I got that Injusticeeeee.
Took me a damn week and a half to get it, because Amazon chose some noob company with a host of complaints (like think 3x as much as any delivery company, and with less of a company history) to send it out... and then when they went to send out the replacement, they were like "jk out of stock". So I just got a refund and went to GameStop. It was $10 more, but I was sick of getting jerked around.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #9809
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Took me a damn week and a half to get it, because Amazon chose some noob company with a host of complaints (like think 3x as much as any delivery company, and with less of a company history) to send it out... and then when they went to send out the replacement, they were like "jk out of stock". So I just got a refund and went to GameStop. It was $10 more, but I was sick of getting jerked around.
Yeah, I dunno what's up with that. Before they used UPS or just USPS but now for some reason they use couriers that are less reliable. Dudes can come by bike, car, drone, and at any time. It sucks, not as predictable as the other joints.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #9810
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Batman: Arkham Origins on PC
My condolences.

Just kidding, I actually really liked Origins. It was just riddled with so many bugs and glitches, at least on consoles. Don't know about PC.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #9811
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
My condolences.

Just kidding, I actually really liked Origins. It was just riddled with so many bugs and glitches, at least on consoles. Don't know about PC.
Understandable. Have a brother who played it on console back when it first got released.

Other than the framerate dropping a bit during certain cinematic cutscenes, it works pretty smoothly so far.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #9812
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah, I dunno what's up with that. Before they used UPS or just USPS but now for some reason they use couriers that are less reliable. Dudes can come by bike, car, drone, and at any time. It sucks, not as predictable as the other joints.
Yeah it's apparently their new "thing", as of super recently in some areas. What makes matters worse is I'm like a bus away from Amazon HQ and close to at least two processing centers. It would be less hassle to actually pick up my item directly.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 AM   #9813
CyberCubed
Overlord

Resident Evil 7 is fantastic, I didn't play it till recently. I can't believe Resident Evil bounced back. I didn't dislike Resident Evil 6 and found it decent, but it was one of my least favorite entries in the series. RE7 was great, I haven't played the DLC yet though since it's too expensive. In many ways RE7 felt like Resident Evil 1 in first person especially with the puzzles.

I really hope Capcom shows the Resident Evil 2 remake at E3. I've been waiting since literally 2002 for RE2, my favorite in the series, to get the REmake treatment on Gamecube.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #9814
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Resident Evil 7 is fantastic, I didn't play it till recently. I can't believe Resident Evil bounced back. I didn't dislike Resident Evil 6 and found it decent, but it was one of my least favorite entries in the series. RE7 was great, I haven't played the DLC yet though since it's too expensive. In many ways RE7 felt like Resident Evil 1 in first person especially with the puzzles.

I really hope Capcom shows the Resident Evil 2 remake at E3. I've been waiting since literally 2002 for RE2, my favorite in the series, to get the REmake treatment on Gamecube.
I thought Resident Evil 7 was a major disappointment. It didn't resemble the series in the slightest and the plot and characters were very meaningless to the overall story as well. I didn't find it very scary or even difficult at all, and the game becomes very linear halfway through. It honestly has a lot more in common with the newer games except it's disguised as a return to form. Enemy variety is lacking, jumpscares are presented through cinematics rather than gameplay (which defeats the point) and the gameplay is like any other generic first-person horror game. It's not even Resident Evil at this point.

The game honestly feels like more of a tech demo than a full on Resident Evil game. Like they were just testing out concepts and decided to add fluff halfway through, along with some dumb twist ending to connect it to the series just to get away with selling it. It's such a bare bones product and they still had the nerve to charge for DLC that was ready like a week after release. I used to be excited for the possibility of a REmake 2 but I have no faith in Capcom anymore. They'll probably find some way to ruin it.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #9815
CyberCubed
Overlord

Resident Evil 7's gameplay was the same as the older ones, just in first person. Had the game been done in third person instead (which I honestly wish there was an option to toggle with), it would have played exactly like an old-school RE game. The puzzles in the main house are very similar to REmake's, as well as the structure of the game in general.

Once you get to the salt mines it does just become a shooter, but that was like the last 10 minutes of the game and they just did that to give you a bunch of enemies to kill and use all your ammo on before the final boss. So overall it didn't matter.

Yeah there's a lack of enemy variety, but I didn't really care. The actual game length was about 10 hours the first time through, which is the exact same length all the older pre-RE4 games were. You can beat REmake, RE2, RE3, CVX, or RE0 in about 8 hours as one play through, not counting replaying it with a different character.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #9816
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Resident Evil 7's gameplay was the same as the older ones, just in first person. Had the game been done in third person instead (which I honestly wish there was an option to toggle with), it would have played exactly like an old-school RE game. The puzzles in the main house are very similar to REmake's, as well as the structure of the game in general.

Once you get to the salt mines it does just become a shooter, but that was like the last 10 minutes of the game and they just did that to give you a bunch of enemies to kill and use all your ammo on before the final boss. So overall it didn't matter.

Yeah there's a lack of enemy variety, but I didn't really care. The actual game length was about 10 hours the first time through, which is the exact same length all the older pre-RE4 games were. You can beat REmake, RE2, RE3, CVX, or RE0 in about 8 hours as one play through, not counting replaying it with a different character.
People always say the gameplay is the same but in first person as if first-person itself doesn't drastically change the gameplay. I loved Resident Evil's gameplay and for me, this isn't that. Even the over the shoulder games had the same gameplay, albeit, with tweaks and such, but it still felt the same. Also, the structure is the same but the Baker house is very small, so where to go and what to do doesn't require the same amount of exploration the older games did.

The game gets linear long before the salt mines. Lucas' fun house is linear as is the ship. Which is about halfway through the game.

The actual game length doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the lack of content and the fact that they charged for modes and extra stuff that would have been unlockables in previous games. Yeah, the Not a Hero stuff is free, but where is it? It got delayed with no date in sight. They sold us an unfinished game with arguably less content than any of the previous games in the series.

Anyway, I don't think it's a bad game. I enjoyed my time with it. I just don't see how this is a return to the series' roots as a fan of this series. As a survival horror game it's pretty meh, the gameplay and tone is nothing like previous entries, the main characters are missing, and it just overall feels like a bastardized version of Resident Evil just like the Revelations games. It used nostalgia to get fans back in, but it still wasn't quite what fans were looking for, though Resident Evil 7's biggest advantage against the Revelations games were its name and budget.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:50 AM   #9817
Ninjinister
無問題

Here's what I've gotten over the past few months

Old 06-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #9818
Powder
So tired of this place

I played through Steamworld Dig & Metal Slug X this week. Both are grand.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #9819
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Nice haul. I see you were able to make physical copies of your game. Cool!

Is that NES cart a bootleg or repro? I recognize the Famicom SMB art but can't make out what the rest says.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #9820
Ninjinister
無問題

Ah, I didn't make that game, I just have a character in it.

The NES game is 7 Grand Dad.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome, cybercubed the diaper, cybercubed the homophobe, peanut, video games