The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Groverman62
Foot Soldier

Did anyone else feel Super Shredder was a little unnecessary

I mean, the cool thing about Shredder of this show is that, in a series filled with these huge hulking and in some cases super powered mutants, he was a regular human, and yet way more badass than any of them. Having him be become a huge brute of a mutant himself felt like overkill.

Any other thought?
Groverman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I liked it well enough. I would have liked to see the Turtles beat Shredder at least once in his normal human form though, only Splinter ever did that.

The only alternative to that was supernatural/demon Shredder, but we got that with Kavaxas and other characters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
snake
Disgusting

No.

(10char)
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Although I prefer regular Shredder's design, I think they used his super form perfectly.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

As someone who actually hasn't watched it, I do think mutating Shredder undermines his threat as a character. Seeing the Turtles outmatched by a well-trained human is more satisfying for me than seeing them outmatched by a massive mutant.

But I'm open to changing my mind whenever I get around to watching it someday.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:43 AM   #6
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well I suppose it would have been nice to see the turtles beat him once as normal Shredder but no I don't think it was unnecessary. He was really cool. Wanting to become an invincible monster fit the character.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Kind of not really but sort of yes, in theory I'm not against him getting more powerful, raising the stakes and all that. That said however...

The design is laughably ugly, the ability to shoot out spikes from the hands is unintentionally(?) hilarious and his reasons for wanting the mutation basically came out of nowhere. He got a few nerve pinches that weren't initially given a second thought within the episode it happened, and he's crippled beyond normal treatment? The hell?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
He got a few nerve pinches that weren't initially given a second thought within the episode it happened, and he's crippled beyond normal treatment? The hell?
I guess thats the true power of the Kur-Lee maneuver.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
Vegita-San
Emperor

yes.

the turtles never stood a chance against REGULAR shredder, and hardly ever fought him. there was no need for super shredder, that april would battle no less.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I give this show a lot of sh*t, but I thought it was a pretty cool way to serve as a climax for Shredder's arc. Super Shredder represents his completed transformation into a monster that started to form the night he killed Shen. Just like how half of his face was burned that night marking the beginning of the monster consuming him, Super Shredder represents full consumption. A fact the show itself thankfully pointed out.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Some further thoughts on the design, just what the hell am I looking at? Blades out the elbows, blades out the opposite side, blades blades out between the toes, blades out the heels, long toenails, tumors and no lips? Did the character designer just rework a child's drawing?

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think its ugly and grotesque too but in a way that makes his portrayal even more effective as a pure, unlikable monster. The excessive spikes are ridiculous, but in a way where I find it memorable for how over the top it is. I don't think that final fight in Owari would be anywhere as vivid in my mind if Leonardo fought regular Shredder or a more normal looking Super Shredder.

My favourite part is his mask and how you can see his facial features underneath.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-06-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Some further thoughts on the design, just what the hell am I looking at? Blades out the elbows, blades out the opposite side, blades blades out between the toes, blades out the heels, long toenails, tumors and no lips? Did the character designer just rework a child's drawing?

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...20161011130443
it's just another Gross monster design this show seems to love.

although i guess in this case, it's rather appropriate as others have stated.

this show just over did it with the gross designs by this point though...
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's better than the Movie 2 incarnation where he just grows 2 feet and his armor mutates with him somehow.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

If Shredder gets resurrected for the season 5 finale which could be the crossover (like how Utrom Shredder gets brought back in Turtles Forever), I'd prefer he come back in his normal form rather than Super Shredder since thats his established look for 4 seasons while Super Shredder appeared for only 6 episodes.

Even in the season 5 theme song, they show a picture of Normal Shredder rather than his Super form and in the ending frame for the first episode, they show a picture of his normal form looking over Tiger Claw/Kavaxas even though resurrected Zombie Shredder looked like his super form.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I'm not really against the idea but I do feel that the writers should have shown the turtles defeating human Shredder. It was kinda jarring how well the turtles were doing against super shredder when not long ago they could barely hold their own with normal Shredder.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #17
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

There's still the chance of Normal Shredder appearing again in the crossover brought back by his 80s counterpart so I wouldn't count out the possibility of a final battle with him just yet.

We know the crossover is 3 episodes long. What are they gonna do with that much screen-time? Having just 80s Shredder, B and R could easily fit into 1 episode. They could also give the mirage turtles more screen time but that still doesn't seem enough to fill up 3 episodes. My bets are that 2k12 Shredder will come back somehow like turtles forever.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

It's been a small while since I been here, but why not. It's been on my mind.

I'm kinda in the same boat with Aaron in terms of Shredder's character. This may very well be the best Shredder, if not a top contender for certain. They really built him up as a monster, climaxing with the transformation into Super Shredder. I'm not a huge fan of Owari personally, but it would've been a suitable finale despite a few loose ends needing to be tied up. Leo finally pays back Shredder for his injury, avenges Splinter, it's all rather solid. Still wish it were a group effort though.

However, I can't say I like the design nor the number of appearances of the beast himself. For the former, I understand him coming across as a monster, both figuratively and literally. Just something about the bulk though makes it a little too grotesque for my liking. It's not "bad" per say, but it doesn't do it for me.

The latter though is my own bias speaking. Shredder's lack of appearances does remind the viewer how dangerous he is, especially in dialogue. However, besides the Turtles not beating Shredder in his regular state (which could've fueled his insanity further), I really didn't like how Super Shredder appeared at the end of season 4. Only four main appearances (and a cameo in a fifth) of the remaining seven episodes were about him. That's fine, but I feel if the space arc wasn't that long, it could've given more time to Shredder's descent, especially if Earth's Last Stand were a two parter and they defeated Shredder compared to the pressure points by Splinter. A huge what-if scenario in my eyes if experimented with. It's mostly the same issues I had with the Triceratons at the end of season 3; it's cool to see them, but they didn't fit the story of season 3 for the most part. Super Shredder is fine in season 4, but a little tacked on.

Not too bad a concept to use him, just feel the execution of Super Shredder could've been held off a little longer or given him a bit more screen time. Whether it be fleshing out the Foot or the Turtles beating regular Shredder, just feels a little more could've been done for the build up.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Super Shredder only appeared in about 6 episodes from what I recall, it's not like he was overused in this form either.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
ssjup81
Foot Elite

No, not really. I like how it symbolized just how far gone mentally he was and how it was a physical way of showing just how much of a literal monster he became. The show did a great job of showing this.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote